• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D50 DAC

svetdts

I confirmed that the problem occurred in other D50, so I will report this problem to Topping.
It would be nice if the problem with the signal level is solved with the next update, but I'm not sure if this is a software problem.

Toku

Major Contributor
It would be nice if the problem with the signal level is solved with the next update, but I'm not sure if this is a software problem.
I understand your advice.
Before, I was a big Japanese company engaged in the development of equipment for broadcasting stations. Users' opinions and suggestions are necessary for better product development. For that, I would like to provide information to Topping.

gorg

I have a last idea: try to connect Popcorn to D50 using as short COAX cable as you get, maybe it's cable capacity* issue, not D50 input sensitivity....

*edit: capacitance, of course

Last edited:

Toku

Major Contributor
I have a last idea: try to connect Popcorn to D50 using as short COAX cable as you get, maybe it's cable capacity* issue, not D50 input sensitivity....

*edit: capacitance, of course
Thanks for the advice.

I have coaxial cables of many kinds and materials for experiments.
There are also various kinds of high frequency Teflon coaxial cables for GHz.
Of course I tested it with a 40 cm short coaxial cable. But D50 did not work at all.

svetdts

I tried with a 0.5m coaxial cable - the D50 is on the limit - it works in seconds. Then I made a shorter cable 0.4m, and again it does not work. You may need to calculate the exact length of the cable.

SiW

Stupid question, but is your source volume at max level?

I was trying out usb to digital converters with my DX3PRO (both coax and toslink) and had no sound output from one unit. Turned out the source volume was too low and it didn’t produce any sounds from the DX3Pro. Once I turned up the source volume it was fine.

Incidentally, I couldn’t discern a difference between the external usb to digital converters and connecting by usb directly into the DX3Pro. Toslink was maybe ever so slighting bass light compared to coax but could be a sampling thing (or my ears / mind).

Bluetooth was ‘worst’ as bass level and fullness was slightly lacking compared to usb or digital input.

Simon

gorg

Stupid question, but is your source volume at max level?

I was trying out usb to digital converters with my DX3PRO (both coax and toslink) and had no sound output from one unit. Turned out the source volume was too low and it didn’t produce any sounds from the DX3Pro. Once I turned up the source volume it was fine.

Incidentally, I couldn’t discern a difference between the external usb to digital converters and connecting by usb directly into the DX3Pro. Toslink was maybe ever so slighting bass light compared to coax but could be a sampling thing (or my ears / mind).

Bluetooth was ‘worst’ as bass level and fullness was slightly lacking compared to usb or digital input.

Simon
Volume level has nothing to do with SPDIF signal level or sensitivity.

svetdts

Quite unexpectedly the D50's Coaxial Input works perfectly with 7m RCA interconect for subwofer:)

Attachments

• IMG_20181209_122840.jpg
    IMG_20181209_122840.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 151
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 65

I've got this strange problem with my D50.

Doing REW RTA measurements of my speakers, sending pink noise to speakers. Left channel/speaker works fine whereas Right channel/speaker cuts of in a second or two every time I try to measure Right channel/speaker. Need to restart REW between measurements.

Switching to the inbuilt DAC of my Norma integrated amp everything works just fine.

Playing music through D50 works fine. REW's RTA pink noise kills D50's right channel! Very very strange problem.

Anyone any idea?

gorg

Doing REW RTA measurements of my speakers, sending pink noise to speakers. Left channel/speaker works fine whereas Right channel/speaker cuts of in a second or two every time I try to measure Right channel/speaker. Need to restart REW between measurements.

Switching to the inbuilt DAC of my Norma integrated amp everything works just fine.

Playing music through D50 works fine. REW's RTA pink noise kills D50's right channel! Very very strange problem.

Anyone any idea?
I had similar problem with right channel but it's gone... It occurs during sweep tone test - stops sweeping at high frequencies with loud pop (every time at other frequency...)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 65

Anyone any idea?

Just to make sure it's not the amps input failing I installed an iDAC2 using same ports and it works just fine!

D

Deleted member 65

Same behaviour with WASAPI & Topping's ASIO driver ... right channel dies after ~ 2 secs. The heavy input clipping On/Off makes no difference.

1545239065196.png

D

Deleted member 65

Measured output from D50 using REW's Generator, Left channel 1.5V & Right channel fluctuates between 1.4 - 1.5V. No difference if powered from PC's USB or 100W LPS.

1545302942776.png

D

Deleted member 65

Right channel fluctuates only @max volume?

Don't know, I'm sending in a 1kHz sinewave as per prev post. Both channels should be steady on same value. Just performed same measurement on my iFi iDAC2, both channels are dead steady on 1.5V.

D

Deleted member 65

Reported issue to Topping, let's see what their response will be.

D

Deleted member 65

Come to think of it it's probably ESS IMD Hump / THD Compensation kicking in and shutting down the right channel ... ;-)

Johnb

They claim that the panther improves the sound. What I want to know, is if Amir has measured the effects of pink noise on the DAC.

Top Bottom