• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D50 DAC

gramp

I think you guys are too much with these battery packs. Just plug it into a decent power supply and relax :)

Btw d50 is on massdrop now. Too bad I already bought mine on amazon.

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think you guys are too much with these battery packs. Just plug it into a decent power supply and relax :)

Btw d50 is on massdrop now. Too bad I already bought mine on amazon.

Battery pack means I don't need AC power, which is useful for me if I don't want to be tied to a location with power outlets.

Roen

Those USB battery packs don't produce clean power anyway. I wouldn't assume it was cleaner than the output of a good SMPS.

Battery packs are potentially noisier than USB cell phone wall warts?

Kane1972

With Aliexpress (and Amazon/Ebay etc) selling numerous DAC's (including balanced ones) using the 9038 chips (including the 9038Pro), I wonder if the D50 is still the best value? I don't need a headphone amp, as I'm getting the Atom, so it's just the best DAC (transparent) for the money I want ($250). Have you tested any others in this price range using the same chips?

This one seems great value as it uses the 9038pro chip and comes with an IEC power socket. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/HiF...lgo_pvid=5d54aee9-0804-4fbd-80ff-a5685103ae9b

Last edited:

wadec22

With Aliexpress (and Amazon/Ebay etc) selling numerous DAC's (including balanced ones) using the 9038 chips (including the 9038Pro), I wonder if the D50 is still the best value? I don't need a headphone amp, as I'm getting the Atom, so it's just the best DAC (transparent) for the money I want ($250). Have you tested any others in this price range using the same chips?

This one seems great value as it uses the 9038pro chip and comes with an IEC power socket. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/HiF...lgo_pvid=5d54aee9-0804-4fbd-80ff-a5685103ae9b

using a quality DAC chip does not necessarily equate to being a good DAC. It may indeed be a good unit, however you have no measurements to be sure.

There are plenty of examples on this site of units with lesser DAC chips outperforming units with higher grade chips.

Picking a random Chinese unit off aliexpress seems like rolling the dice for sure.

Kane1972

using a quality DAC chip does not necessarily equate to being a good DAC. It may indeed be a good unit, however you have no measurements to be sure.

There are plenty of examples on this site of units with lesser DAC chips outperforming units with higher grade chips.

Picking a random Chinese unit off aliexpress seems like rolling the dice for sure.

Oh I totally agree and if I were to buy a DAC today, I would get the D50 as it's what i want to pay and I know it delivers. Would be great if more of these 9038 based DAC's were tested that's all.

Roen

Tone Board. 1/3rd the price, measures better.

Has some teething issues with DSD, but overall, a better value, unless you really want a display (which I do)

gramp

boys, hold on, not because measures well, sounds good ! let's not mislead other people

Sounds great to me. Even better now that my Jsd Atom arrived and I've got my stack setup. But to each his own, sound quality is subjective. Many people like the coloration caused by one particular kind of distortion and noise.

decebalus

Sounds great to me. Even better now that my Jsd Atom arrived and I've got my stack setup. But to each his own, sound quality is subjective. Many people like the coloration caused by one particular kind of distortion and noise.
absolutely i agree ! to me sounds to analytical, cold and digital

derp1n

Wombat

Master Contributor
There is no digital sound as such. The filters, PS, analog processing and stray effects may colour some products analogue outputs and thus the sound if above audibility thresholds.

Clean would be a better term than digital for lack of euphonic effects.

Last edited:

decebalus

There is no digital sound as such. The filters, PS, analog processing and stray effects may colour some products analogue outputs and thus the sound if above audibility thresholds.

Clean would be a better term than digital for lack of euphonic effects.

mate i just saw you're edit, can i ask how old are you ? i will explain after why of this question.

Reddy

Battery packs are potentially noisier than USB cell phone wall warts?

yes, battery packs in the range 10mv (anker powercore 20000mah) worst battery pack had 30mv noise,per example usb cell phone wall wart of huawei 5mv noise

zephyros

I used to use Aiso driver, but recently I decided to clean my computer off unecessary stuff and thus using Wasapi now. However while Wasapi push mode works fine, event mode is broken with very distorted sounds. Is there any difference between them, and how can I fix it?

Roen

boys, hold on, not because measures well, sounds good ! let's not mislead other people
I can't tell if someone thinks a DAC sounds better than another. The only thing I can objectively say, is that it measures well, or better in certain metrics. My subjective opinion should be worthless to you in it of itself, it's only valid if a large group of people share the same opinion and the error of measurement is low enough for it not to matter.

Remember, we're at audio SCIENCE review, not audio opinion review.

Top Bottom