• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D50 DAC

chosen_too

Ok, paired topping with Allo digione, screen goes off nicely, sound changed also, but can't say if it is better or not.

chosen_too

Yep, that's it. When there is no signal from digione - dac goes to sleep, with USB connection dac never sleeps.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Ah, yea it could be because of the other device that Topping devices usually use in their USB connections.
I know my DX7 has 2 devices that appear in device manager.

chosen_too

Ah, yea it could be because of the other device that Topping devices usually use in their USB connections.
I know my DX7 has 2 devices that appear in device manager.

I tried some tricks to autosuspend USB port, but without success. Anyway Digione sounds different than USB, bass is less boomy, sound is thinner overall. Maybe it's another software glitch and I need to reset everything again.

chosen_too

Maybe the driver for that is downsampling?

Ehh, I'm such a dumb ass. Figured out how to turn off topping's screen over USB, so device is active, but OLED screen is off which is fine for me. Both second and third settings must be "auto" in main menu.

I'll try to compare sound over USB and coax now and report.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Ehh, I'm such a dumb ass. Figured out how to turn off topping's screen over USB, so device is active, but OLED screen is off which is fine for me. Both second and third settings must be "auto" in main menu.

I'll try to compare sound over USB and coax now and report.
Awesome!
Let me know how the testing goes!

chosen_too

I must admit there is difference between USB and Digione. USB sounds much better - rhythm, clarity, bass, more detailed sound. To be sure I asked my wife to assist me in blind test, difference is obvious for both of us.

I heard a lot from Digione users about better sound from BNC output even using BNC-RCA adapter, something with output levels, I'll try this later maybe, but for now I'm very pleased with USB connection and see realy no reason to buy special HAT for Raspberry.

USB much louder also, alsa mixer untouched though.

Last edited:

Darwin

It’s back on Massdrop for $199.
Weird they don’t have a matching Amp.

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
On Aliexpress, for Singles' Day, I managed to snag it for $186.99.

Peib

I saw this photo at headfi from an user who was in the canjam shangai
There will be an external powe supply too, P50
10194525.jpg

Veri

Master Contributor
I saw this photo at headfi from an user who was in the canjam shangai
There will be an external powe supply too, P50

Damn, awesome! A50 still coming, then :) another contender against the JDS Atom, ha.

I wonder what the BAL port is. 2.5mm balanced? 4.4mm???

Peib

Damn, awesome! A50 still coming, then :) another contender against the JDS Atom, ha.

I wonder what the BAL port is. 2.5mm balanced? 4.4mm???
it looks like 2.5mm, but im not sure

anyway it looks beautiful

the only problem i see is about the power supply. It will probably cost more than a hundred

Top Bottom