• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D50 DAC

Snafu

It doesn't always show bit rate, with usb i (v1.02) see 44.1-768kHz / 16/24/32/bits too, but for example with spdif 00bit.
And i'm sure you know D50 is NOS dac.

vkvedam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It doesn't always show bit rate, with usb i (v1.02) see 44.1-768kHz / 16/24/32/bits too, but for example with spdif 00bit.
And i'm sure you know D50 is NOS dac.
I didn't get you, NOS DAC? By the way, my SPDIF is Toslink.

chosen_too

Just connected Shinrico shd 5 via coaxial cable to my d50, much better SQ than USB output of Raspberry pi 3, but every time I'm touching any of my components static electricity kills sync with DAC (

PorchSong

Just connected Shinrico shd 5 via coaxial cable to my d50, much better SQ than USB output of Raspberry pi 3, but every time I'm touching any of my components static electricity kills sync with DAC (

I also hear that it will put hair on the palm of your hands and cause blindness. . . .

Snafu

Veri

Master Contributor
non over sampling ?

right ?
It's definitely an oversampling DAC. Pretty much any modern design DAC uses an OS filter for an accurate response and to get rid of ultrasonics.
I mean you can select between 7 configurable filters:

tLie3jZ.png

It oversamples all right.

Snafu

Ok, thanks for correcting.
I thought filters aren't oversampling but oversampling is for example 44.1kHz x X before converting it to analog signal.

Veri

Master Contributor
Ok, thanks for correcting.
I thought filters aren't oversampling but oversampling is for example 44.1kHz x X before converting it to analog signal.
You can't have a proper reconstruction without some oversampling. Which is a necessity really for any proper DAC, otherwise the output will have severe aliasing. From https://www.researchgate.net/post/Why_do_you_need_an_analog_filter_in_designing_a_digital_filter

If you want to use a digital filter you have to digitize the signal first. If you do that you have to make sure your input signal does not exceed the Nyquist frequency (to avoid ambiguousities). This is usually done by adding an "anti-aliasing" low-pass filter in front of your analog-to-digital converter. If you convert back to analog using a digital-to-analog converter you need another low-pass filter to remove high frequency components caused by the fact that the output of the DAC is not smooth but time discrete (this results in a lot of steps).

Kiko1974

I have set my D50 to filter 5, I find it the most transparent of all 'though differences with other filters are subtle but they are there.
What filters you guys prefer?

Gsrchrisu1

Just got one of these PSU's. Week to arrive after contacting seller about specs: 5V/3A + correct power plug for D50. Total was 75€ including s&h.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zerozone-50VA-DC-LT1083-LPS-HIFI-Linear-Power-supply-for-amp-DAC-external-PSU/122115343477?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Must be new piece placebo, but bass sounds more powerful vs 10600mAh powerbank o_O

Ok I thought I might be crazy, I also agree that the bass increased substantially after powering with a Linear power supply similar to the above link.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok I thought I might be crazy, I also agree that the bass increased substantially after powering with a Linear power supply similar to the above link.

That's how two flat-earthers must feel when they meet for the first time.

Measurements or it didn't happen!

Kiko1974

I have set my D50 to filter 5, I find it the most transparent of all 'though differences with other filters are subtle but they are there.
What filters you guys prefer?
I also use mostly 5 and also 3 depending of the music I'm playing. What surprises me is that playing the 2015 192/24 Van Halen remasters these filters also have an impact on sound, 1, 3 and 5 get cymbals to sound right, with the others they have the typical dull and unrealistic sound. I never thought these filters could affect sound even at high sampling rates,it makes no sense, a 192 Khz sample rate has an actual frequency response of 96 Khz, far beyond the reach of those filters.

chosen_too

Mains hum maybe?)

I'm also using lpsu, but didn't make any direct comparisons. What for sure - Chinese Shinrico D5 via spdif sounds more transparent than my Raspberry pi3 USB even though Amirs measurements are mostly equal.

Last edited:

Snafu

That's how two flat-earthers must feel when they meet for the first time.

Measurements or it didn't happen!
edit:

How about telling us why there can't be any difference between 5V/3A psu vs max 5V/1A psu with min 5V/1A device ?
btw we were both skeptical about that bass observation.

So, go ahead, prove there can't be any difference (yes we all can google and have seen those tests ( and links to 2013) ).

Last edited:
Reactions: MWC

MWC

I just sprung for the D50 it's been playing PCM and DSD of various resolutions for several hours in a long loop. It sounds good with no clicks at format or resolution changes. Have not tested with higher DXD as I have only 358 DXD rather than 384 DXD files. I'm using Topping ASIO driver in Foobar, after I had trouble getting it set-up with WASAPI. Laptop plugged into mains and accessing files on NAS and PC over Ethernet, line out into Denon receiver.

My question: I want to connect this D50 (elsewhere) to a pair of AdamA7X powered monitors, set about 3 metres apart, any recommendations for rca cables to do this.

chosen_too

I just sprung for the D50 it's been playing PCM and DSD of various resolutions for several hours in a long loop. It sounds good with no clicks at format or resolution changes. Have not tested with higher DXD as I have only 358 DXD rather than 384 DXD files. I'm using Topping ASIO driver in Foobar, after I had trouble getting it set-up with WASAPI. Laptop plugged into mains and accessing files on NAS and PC over Ethernet, line out into Denon receiver.

My question: I want to connect this D50 (elsewhere) to a pair of AdamA7X powered monitors, set about 3 metres apart, any recommendations for rca cables to do this.

From studio cables (Canare, Klotz etc) to any cable you like)

Top Bottom