• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D50 DAC

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
most DIYers measure at 44k but I measure at 192k but the sweep stops at 30kHz because my mic. doesn't go higher.

should have mentioned it's about my plots but it was what Viper was talking about.
oh alright

Kiko1974

Why not rip to DSF / DFF files? The D50 can do DoP or native DSD, without issue. Just make sure your source digital volume is set to max and control it with analog volume or the D50 attenuation.
I have ALL my SACD's ripped to SACD-R ISO's and once I have the ISO get their tracks extracted with ISO2DSD which outputs native DFF files. When I have the DFF files I convert them (AKA: put them into a different container) into DSD over PCM (DoP) files with dBPoweramp, the Topping D50 first recognizes them as 176.4/24 but after a second or so it detects them as native DSD put into a wav container.

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have ALL my SACD's ripped to SACD-R ISO's and once I have the ISO get their tracks extracted with ISO2DSD which outputs native DFF files. When I have the DFF files I convert them (AKA: put them into a different container) into DSD over PCM (DoP) files with dBPoweramp, the Topping D50 first recognizes them as 176.4/24 but after a second or so it detects them as native DSD put into a wav container.
Why not just convert the DFF to DSF and save yourself the trouble of DoP?

Kiko1974

Why not just convert the DFF to DSF and save yourself the trouble of DoP?
What's the point of that? The Sony UBP X-800 doesn't output DSD natively over its digital coaxial output, it converts DSD to 176.4/24 and I want full native DSD playing, that's what I bought the Topping D50 for and it works great except for the clicking noise at the start of each track. Unfortunately the Sony UBP X-800 doesn't play any kind of file gapless, if so that clicking noise would only be heard at the beginning of an album or when skipping a track.

Roen

Ah, I didn't know you couldn't transport DSD natively. I just stream DSF over DLNA to my Sony Receiver which then outputs to speakers.

Seems like the player can also decode DSF based on specs? What's the rest of your chain?

Kiko1974

Ah, I didn't know you couldn't transport DSD natively. I just stream DSF over DLNA to my Sony Receiver which then outputs to speakers.

Seems like the player can also decode DSF based on specs? What's the rest of your chain?
I can transport DSD natively, the Sony UBP X-800 is not only an UHD BD player, its also plays BD's, SACD's, DVD-Audio, DVD-Video and CD's in addition to several video and music file formtas like WAV and FLAC up to 192/24 and DSD. DSD is only output natively by its two HDMI outputs and I DO have a receiver that is DSD capable, a Pioneer SC LX-76 from 2012 (sold in the US with the Elite badge), but what I'm talking here is how to play DSD via either digital coaxial (S/PDIF) or digital optical (TosLink) as DSD over PCM, a feature that has made the Topping D50. DSD over PCM is for those of us who don't want a computer on their audio/video set up like me, it can be considered an "exotic" feature more common on higher end (and more expensive) D/A converters, yet the Topping D50 offers it in addition to a great audio quality for around 220 €/250$.

Roen

I can transport DSD natively, the Sony UBP X-800 is not only an UHD BD player, its also plays BD's, SACD's, DVD-Audio, DVD-Video and CD's in addition to several video and music file formtas like WAV and FLAC up to 192/24 and DSD. DSD is only output natively by its two HDMI outputs and I DO have a receiver that is DSD capable, a Pioneer SC LX-76 from 2012 (sold in the US with the Elite badge), but what I'm talking here is how to play DSD via either digital coaxial (S/PDIF) or digital optical (TosLink) as DSD over PCM, a feature that has made the Topping D50. DSD over PCM is for those of us who don't want a computer on their audio/video set up like me, it can be considered an "exotic" feature more common on higher end (and more expensive) D/A converters, yet the Topping D50 offers it in addition to a great audio quality for around 220 €/250$.
I suppose my question then becomes why not use the receiver or the BD player via HDMI and receiver to feed analog music from DSD to your speakers?

Kiko1974

I'm sure this has been discussed earlier on the thread but I'm new to this forum. What digital filter are most of the Topping D50 users are using? I've currently set up to filter 5 as it sounds the most transparent with my set up, I get a neutral sound out of it, other filters sound either with rolled off highs, or harsh or with a muddy sound but I guess this is system dependant.

Kiko1974

I suppose my question then becomes why not use the receiver or the BD player via HDMI and receiver to feed analog music from DSD to your speakers?
In a nutshell,because the Topping D50 sounds better with either DSD64 (ripped from SACD's) or Hi Res 96/24 or 176.4-192/24 PCM than my Pioneer A/V receiver.

Veri

Master Contributor
I'm sure this has been discussed earlier on the thread but I'm new to this forum. What digital filter are most of the Topping D50 users are using? I've currently set up to filter 5 as it sounds the most transparent with my set up, I get a neutral sound out of it, other filters sound either with rolled off highs, or harsh or with a muddy sound but I guess this is system dependant.
Unless your hearing is ultra precise in the higher end of the audible spectrum or you're trained to hear pre-ringing and such artifacts, they should all sound 99% close to each other barring roll-off. Harsh/muddy seems unlikely but the brain is easily fooled this way. Either way if you settle on a filter just keep it on there and forget about it :)

Roen

I will say I don't notice any clicking with DoP with my D50, my source is my iPhone via USB and I'm using IEMs.

Are you on latest firmware? Might be an Optical only thing.

Kiko1974

In a nutshell,because the Topping D50 sounds better with either DSD64 (ripped from SACD's) or Hi Res 96/24 or 176.4-192/24 PCM than my Pioneer A/V receiver.
I will say I don't notice any clicking with DoP with my D50, my source is my iPhone via USB and I'm using IEMs.

Are you on latest firmware? Might be an Optical only thing.
I'm using digital coaxial S/PDIF input. I have connected my FiiO X3 MK II to the Topping D50 via digital coaxial but it's not recognized by the Topping D50, is this normal?
I'm using 1.02 firmware but I'm tempted to change to 1.03. What do you think?

Roen

I'm using digital coaxial S/PDIF input. I have connected my FiiO X3 MK II to the Topping D50 via digital coaxial but it's not recognized by the Topping D50, is this normal?
"The Fiio supports digital to digital mode?" is my first reaction.

Kiko1974

"The Fiio supports digital to digital mode?" is my first reaction.
Yes, the FiiO X MK II has a line output that can be configured 3 ways: analogue line level output, S/PDIF output with DSD to PCM conversion and S/PDIF with DoP output

Toku

Major Contributor
There is a problem with the Topping D50 coaxial S/PDIF connection. It may not be recognized depending on the connected device.
I use a SONY Bluray DVD player, but it works fine with COAX output connected to D10,DX3 Pro and DX7s. But when I switch the connection to D50, it is not recognized at all.
I reported this problem to this forum, and several people reported that the same problem occurred.
We reported this problem to Topping last year. But the problem has not been improved yet.

Last edited:

Vadim

If someone interesting.
Comparative sound test of Topping D30 and D50
Comparison conducted on my well known system.
Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor M / Audio Research D200
Vinyl Player with Ortofon X5 MC Pickup
Interconnects: QED Profile; Merlin Cables - Mozart Interconnect

A week earlier i listened to warmed up D30. Extremely natural and transparent detailed sound. Music is voluminous, but I wanted to get more distant images. The background is separated from the front. The width is excellent. On the tracks with a large width of images, the musicians play from the next room. The voices are very natural. Compared to vinyl, the background is too close.
There is a sense of heights. For example, Norah Jones album Begin Again, in song My Heart Is Full, Norah's voice rises higher with the words - I will rise..

I took a brand new D50. Immediately out of the box it showed a much larger scene. But it was a little blurry. All the instruments were divided, but unclear. I understand that it's a matter of warming up. After about 4 hours of playing different tracks, the sound became as detailed as on the D30, only a more serious volume remained.
Compared to the D30, the background of the scene moved three times. The feeling of the height of the images became even more realistic. The width is the same as on D30 - excellent. Frequency response are the same. The number of details is also the same.

Depending on the different interconnect wires, the nature of the sound also changed.
Mozart Interconnect - softer high freq.
QED Profile - sharper top, but not tiring. The background is a little further than Merlin.

As a conclusion - very interesting devices. I can easily recommend to your systems. If your system is able to separate the sound from the speakers, I recommend the D50. If there are problems with it and you hear only the width of the sound picture - then go for the D30.
My system has a warm color and topping perfectly balances my sound. If your system is prone to brightness, you might end up with a slightly bright character.

The DSD format sounded great on the D30, but with the same depth limit. When I turned on the DSD on the D50, the musicians were just sitting in my room. Artist David Elias - Crossing.

DSD Was closest to the sound of vinyl on my system.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks Vadim. Can any measurements account for what you noticed?
It would be interesting.

Vadim

I proceed from the considerations that the location of sub freq in space people can not identify. Accordingly, high and ultra-high frequencies are responsible for the location of instruments in space.

WhatsApp Image 2019-04-17 at 16.17.52.jpeg

On the phase distortion graph, depending on the frequency, D30 faces serious problems. High frequencies are better controlled and add up to the phase, which makes it possible to more accurately determine the instruments in space.
D50 is more linear. Unfortunately, Amirm did not measure the phase difference in d50, but from two articles it turned out that D30<dx7<D50

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. Are we talking about 0.45° ? or 45 ° ?
A 0.45° difference will be inaudible. (Not even sure about 45°...)

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If someone interesting.
Comparative sound test of Topping D30 and D50

Depending on the different interconnect wires, the nature of the sound also changed.
Mozart Interconnect - softer high freq.
QED Profile - sharper top, but not tiring. The background is a little further than Merlin.

DSD Was closest to the sound of vinyl on my system.

Wires anyone?

Top Bottom