• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D50 DAC

Sango

I just joined the massdrop very decently to get the D50 to replace my sound card. I read very good things about it on the forums and found this site from skin reading.

One thing I was not sure since I am not familiar with the audio side, but does this unit reclock to remove jitter? Not sure what the proper term is called.

Thanks!

Veri

Master Contributor
I just joined the massdrop very decently to get the D50 to replace my sound card. I read very good things about it on the forums and found this site from skin reading.

One thing I was not sure since I am not familiar with the audio side, but does this unit reclock to remove jitter? Not sure what the proper term is called.

Thanks!

Yes.

Toku

Major Contributor
I think they (topping) remove the file. . . Not in dropbox anymore. Can anyone share the file?
Also, where to check the version number?

thanks
I found yesterday that the update file is gone. What happened with Toppig?
Files are deleted not only for D50 but also for D10 and DX7s.

mi-fu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
That is very weird. Does that mean the new firmwares have problems?

I still haven't updated mine, as I'm using mac. I'm hoping Topping with have an update on it.

gorg

That is very weird. Does that mean the new firmwares have problems?

I still haven't updated mine, as I'm using mac. I'm hoping Topping with have an update on it.

I have no idea. My d50 is working perfectly after update so far...

gorg

I think they (topping) remove the file. . . Not in dropbox anymore. Can anyone share the file?

thanks

Firmware version is called 'revision' in Topping control panel. I deleted firmware file right after upgrade unfortunately...

Attachments

• ctrlpnl.jpg
    ctrlpnl.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 316
The issue i felt after the update is a slight reduction in the output amplitude... i had to jack up my amp volume by a point or two...

Last edited:

Titu

Hello

I'know i'ts bad, but I've a really subjective question.

What do you think about D50's soundstage ?

I ask because I have a SMSL M8a. Measures are pretty good and sound is clean but soundstage is really flat. There's no deep, everything is on the foreground (I don't use headphones, only speakers).

I had a M-DAC by John Westlake (like the Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital), the sound-stage was huge and I miss it.

gorg

Has m-dac selectable reverb effect or something like that? ;)

gorg

Just kidding.
I compared d50 to my other "digitals": old pioneer pd-8700 (via analog rca fixed output), even older philips cd-player cd-371 (analog rca) and diy dac based on cs4397. Also tested above cdplayers as a transports. I didn't notice almost any change except different output levels.

Last edited:

jsmiller58

Forum Donor

thanks
I have the D50 and DX7S firmware files if you or anyone else wants them. I am using them and don’t notice any issues. But that they pulled the files is concerning, and that they pulled them without leaving a read me file behind is annoying to say the least.

Anyway, if someone wants the files I have them, but, you know, YMMV...

Titu

Just kidding.
I compared d50 to my other "digitals": old pioneer pd-8700 (via analog rca fixed output), even older philips cd-player cd-371 (analog rca) and diy dac based on cs4397. Also tested above cdplayers as a transports. I didn't notice almost any change except different output levels.

There are cases in which I agree with you. And I'm not sure to be able to make difference between M-Dac and CD6. But the M8 is really and clearly différent. The perception of space between and behind the speakers is so different that you can't go wrong. I tried it in two different rooms with different speakers and it was obvious every time.

The good new is that you don't feel it with the D50, so I can hope that it's fine.

Toku

Major Contributor
Firmware for Topping's D10 D50 DX7s has been uploaded again.
Ver 1.02 (18I) is now available for download.

sonci

I don't have the D50 but I haven't found any dac to beat my cd players, nothing high end, just some old Sony Es, Denon, Marantz..
When connected to an external dac, it's like putting a veil, music become slow with no rythm.
I think it has to do with the fact that the master clock should be on the dac not on the transport, and entry level dac don't reclock enough.
It would be interesting to measure cd players and compare them to dacs.

Top Bottom