• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D50 DAC

aniki78

Excuse me mr @amirm , may I ask for your opinion and suggestion?
If my car head unit line input could only accept maximum 1 Vrms (which I've found out after I bought the D50), could you please kindly suggest the dBFS set on the D50?
Because at 0 dB, the sound will be distorted and after carefully measuring by hearing only, my car audio installer conclude it's already safe at -07 dB.
Maybe you have a different opinion and suggestion based on your more technical knowledge and expertise?

Audiofriik

I bought one of these in August and have been very pleased with the sound quality, which I did think was over bright in the beginning, but which I soon got used to and now put down to the level of detail.

Unfortunately, it suddenly stopped working yesterday. I hear the power relay clicking and can see the connection, both from a computer (Linux and Windows) and from a phone, over bluetooth, but the display is dead and there is no analog sound out.

I have tried alternative power supplies and reinstalling the Windows drivers, but am wondering if anyone knows any tricks for factory reset or diagnosis over USB. A return will be costly in postage.

Audiofriik

@Audiofriik, I hope you did not ever remove the USB cable while the D50 was playing music?

No. I'm 99.9% certain I never did that and 100% certain I didn't do it before it stopped working. Was listening to dsd-encoded material a few days ago (through USB), then wanted to show my wife how to connect over bluetooth on Wednesday evening and the unit was dead. No restarts of anything in the chain or disconnections in between.

MWC

Um..... I don't recall the D50 having any Bluetooth capability, but then it's something I would tend to ignore as it is not for me personally.

Veri

Master Contributor
Um..... I don't recall the D50 having any Bluetooth capability, but then it's something I would tend to ignore as it is not for me personally.
Only D50s has BT :)

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
I had my 2 Topping D50 running for some months now, I never kill the power so they were on 24/7.

I wanted to adjust something in the menu today, but the button didn't work. They both locked up somehow. After a power cycle, both work again as expected.

Audiofriik

I had my 2 Topping D50 running for some months now, I never kill the power so they were on 24/7.

I wanted to adjust something in the menu today, but the button didn't work. They both locked up somehow. After a power cycle, both work again as expected.
Sounds a bit like what happened to my 50s, which was set to auto-standby/wake, but which was never powered off. A power-cycle didn't help in my case. Was your display black or was it just the button that locked-up? I sent my unit back for repair/replacement. Still waiting for arrival.

Audiofriik

If you were connected to pc, could you see the device in your USB/Soundcard list and did you get any analog sound out? Would be interested to know whether this is a recurrent problem.

Reddy

My solution for the noisy vdd 1v0 and 1v0 pll analog pin
Dedicated ldo for both
Now the power supply noise is drastically reduced

The sq improvement is not comparable

Last edited:

Toku

Major Contributor
If you were connected to pc, could you see the device in your USB/Soundcard list and did you get any analog sound out? Would be interested to know whether this is a recurrent problem.
Unplug the D50's DC plug, leave it for at least one hour, and then connect the DC plug again.

Alou

Not exact but yes, too much voltage can absolutely damage electronics. Fortunately USB chargers all have the same nominal 5 volt and DACs re-regulate that anyway so you are 100% safe there. Just don't plug in other power supplies with outputs above 5 volts.
Dear Amir,i already have this linear power supply that i use for a phono preamp,it says 5V 4A is this allright with 4 Ampers ?
Or the whole extra supply is an overkill ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25W-USB-DC...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Veri

Master Contributor
Dear Amir,i already have this linear power supply that i use for a phono preamp,it says 5V 4A is this allright with 4 Ampers ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25W-USB-DC5V-24V-Adjustable-Linear-Power-Supply-Netzteil-Lineare-Stromversorgung/273748871999?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
Amir tested linear supply several times. It is certainly overkill: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ents-of-new-topping-d50s-dac.7914/post-248978

But the amperage is fine, it will only draw what's necessary. So you can use it safely. But it won't make an audible difference, nope.

Toku

Major Contributor

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25W-USB-DC5V-24V-Adjustable-Linear-Power-Supply-Netzteil-Lineare-Stromversorgung/273748871999?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
This power supply is different from Topping P50.
This power supply uses a transformer for input, but is a variable voltage switching pulse power supply.

Alou

I allready have this thats why asked.If it is an overkill i can use a second USB port or a wall wart then.

Alou

This power supply is different from Topping P50.
This power supply uses a transformer for input, but is a variable voltage switching pulse power supply.
It has seperate output for 5V with standard output at 4A.There i a second output for 12-24v variable.

Top Bottom