• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D10 DAC

Hemicrusher

I also reported this to Topping yesterday and they replied within a few hours. Here is their reply....

Dear David

Thank you for contacting TOPPING support. We are happy to assist.

You are the third user to report this issue. We will pay close attention to this issue and find out the cause and give a solution as soon as possible. I sent the older firmware as attachment, I hope it could solve your problem.

Best Regards!
----------------------------------
TOPPING service

Last edited:

έχω δίκιο

I also reported this to Topping yesterday and they replied within a few hours.

Thanks for reporting. Topping Support said they have not been able to duplicate the problem, so I am putting together a detailed reply identifying all systems/OS combos on which the problem has been seen. I've reached out to some people individually, but I'd welcome detailed system info from anyone who has seen the problem.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for reporting. Topping Support said they have not been able to duplicate the problem, so I am putting together a detailed reply identifying all systems/OS combos on which the problem has been seen. I've reached out to some people individually, but I'd welcome detailed system info from anyone who has seen the problem.
As i already wrote before i have the 1804 version en the D10 does not like my USB 3.0 ports so D10 connected to a USB 2.0 powerd hub connected => to my 3.0 USB laptop port D10 does not wake op. D10 directly connected to the USB 3.0 laptop port D10 does not wake up. USB 2.0 powerd hub connected to the 2.0 USB laptop port D10 wakes up same for connecting the D10 directly to the 2.0 lapt port D10 will wake up.

Now i did not test this with the old firmware. So did the old firmware has or has not this waking up problem as describes above. Besides potentialy other problems de Topping developers have to look into the compability regarding USB 3.0 connected to a 2.0 port or visa versa. The D10 must also go to sleep connecting to a USB 3.0 enviroment it does not like USB 3.0 atleast not under an/my Windows 10 OS

Hemicrusher

Hopefully more people report this issue to Topping.....If they only have three, they won't make this a priority.

Also, I think this issue is a USB power issue. Even if the computer is in sleep mode, there is still power going to the USB devices in order to allow mice and keyboards to wake the system. Maybe the D10 is crashing when the power output is outside of what it expects.

έχω δίκιο

As i already wrote before i have the 1804 version en the D10 does not like my USB 3.0 ports so D10 connected to a USB 2.0 powerd hub connected => to my 3.0 USB laptop port D10 does not wake op. D10 directly connected to the USB 3.0 laptop port D10 does not wake up. USB 2.0 powerd hub connected to the 2.0 USB laptop port D10 wakes up same for connecting the D10 directly to the 2.0 lapt port D10 will wake up.

Now i did not test this with the old firmware. So did the old firmware has or has not this waking up problem as describes above. Besides potentialy other problems de Topping developers have to look into the compability regarding USB 3.0 connected to a 2.0 port or visa versa. The D10 must also go to sleep connecting to a USB 3.0 enviroment it does not like USB 3.0 atleast not under an/my Windows 10 OS

Just in case Topping support doesn't have this information about your computer equipment, could you please provide the following?

Computer Make:
Computer Model:
Operating System:
Port used (e.g. rear USB 3.0, front panel USB 2.0)
Does USB port supply power when computer is sleeping?
D10 recovers from computer sleep?​
USB Hub Make/Model:
D10 recovers from computer sleep when plugged into hub?​
That is in addition to the D10 information (first four digits of SN and original or update firmware) that you provided.

Thanks.

Last edited:

έχω δίκιο

Hopefully more people report this issue to Topping.....If they only have three, they won't make this a priority.

You are right. If someone has experienced this problem, please write to Topping support at [email protected]. Include computer make and model, operating system, and anything else that seems pertinent (was a USB hub involved? which USB port on the computer was tested? etc.).

Also, I think this issue is a USB power issue. Even if the computer is in sleep mode, there is still power going to the USB devices in order to allow mice and keyboards to wake the system. Maybe the D10 is crashing when the power output is outside of what it expects.

I saw the issue both with and without hubs, powered and unpowered. Not suggesting that you are wrong, just providing another data point.

Timbo2

You are right. If someone has experienced this problem, please write to Topping support at [email protected]. Include computer make and model, operating system, and anything else that seems pertinent (was a USB hub involved? which USB port on the computer was tested? etc.).

I did give them feedback on my Shield. I believe I am one of the three they mentioned.

έχω δίκιο

I did give them feedback on my Shield. I believe I am one of the three they mentioned.
Yes, thank you. They didn't seem to understand that it was likely the same sleep problem and not an incompatibility with Android, but I suggested to them that it was likely the same problem.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Well, it seems that this firmware fixed one thing and screwed another. Hopefully somebody at Topping is reading this thread.
I have contacted them and they are aware of the issue. But they cannot replicate it. Still, they are trying to investigate.

Quijano

Last saturday I send them an email with detailed info about my unit, the sleep issue and the four computers that I tested, but have not received an answer yet.

έχω δίκιο

Last saturday I send them an email with detailed info about my unit, the sleep issue and the four computers that I tested, but have not received an answer yet.
I previously sent them a list of three systems I tested it on, all of which showed the fault. They wrote that they had not been able to duplicate it, making me wonder how many PCs they have available to them, given how common this seems to be.

έχω δίκιο

This is the statement that Topping put up on their website:
2, We received report from some of our users, their D10 met problem of waking up from sleep after updating this firmware. We check it and found this is not a common problem, it only occurs on some PCs, the reason is not clear yet. If you met same problem, please mail to [email protected] for rolling back. TOPPING are now working on this issue and will send out new firmware when we have solutions. Sorry!
What a load of crap! I tested it on three systems and it happened on every one. Quijano tested it on six systems and the problem showed up on five of them. Others have tested it on their primary/only computers and the problem shows up.

It's showing up on desktops and laptops, new and old. It's showing up on major brands like Dell, Lenovo, Acer, Intel, and Apple. It's showing up on Windows 7, Windows 10, Android, various flavors of Linux, and multiple versions of macOS/OS-X. It's showing up on USB 2.0 ports, USB 3.0 ports, powered hubs, and unpowered hubs. Did Topping test it on their only PC and decide if it didn't happen on that, then the problem is uncommon?

Also from their D10 notes:
1, If a D10 was updated by a wrong firmware, it will cause this product to lose the ability to upgrade again. In some serious case, the product will not work normally if updated the wrong firmware. So please double check the SN number before doing this step.
Topping has about the worst version control that I've seen in the last couple of decades. Their utilities can't identify the board revision, serial number, or even existing firmware. Both before and after flashing, the firmware is shown as v6.F2 in the utility. The flashing utility should be verifying that the firmware is compatible, and that it is not corrupted, before flashing the unit.

Last edited:

έχω δίκιο

I am sure they will iron it out.
As long as they get enough people reporting the problem. My concern is that many people don't let their computers sleep and many more are just lazy and will unplug and replug whenever this happens. As they say, "if you see something, say something."

Hemicrusher

As long as they get enough people reporting the problem. My concern is that many people don't let their computers sleep and many more are just lazy and will unplug and replug whenever this happens. As they say, "if you see something, say something."

I did not have the issue with the D10 even after the patch. But Like an idiot, I reset my custom Windows 10 power settings and was able to duplicate the D10 sleep/freeze. After setting my power settings back, the D10 still sleep freezes.

έχω δίκιο

I did not have the issue with the D10 even after the patch. But Like an idiot, I reset my custom Windows 10 power settings and was able to duplicate the D10 sleep/freeze. After setting my power settings back, the D10 still sleep freezes.

That's not being an idiot at all. Better to find out when it's still new, returnable, and supported than in a year when you replace your computer, motherboard, etc.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Is there a Topping representative in this thread?
There must be a Topping rep.who is reading ASR, I am almost 99% certain.

Top Bottom