• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D10 DAC

Tim

Just curious, has any one tried the digital outs from the D10? If it works good, it makes a lower price alternative to most of the other usb to coax converters, plus the bonus of a nice DAC.

Wombat

Master Contributor

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Wombat

Master Contributor

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
By reading 24 pages of this thread, it may prove I am crazy. I will probably get a D10 since it is dirt cheap, supports lots of formats, measures well, and nobody is complaining about the sound.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
By reading 24 pages of this thread, it may prove I am crazy. I will probably get a D10 since it is dirt cheap, supports lots of formats, measures well, and nobody is complaining about the sound.
So probably You are going to compare it with............?

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
So probably You are going to compare it with............?
It would replace an Audioengine D1, provided that the sound was not too forward or exhibiting what some call artificial detail. The D1 only goes up to 96k and requires work arounds to get 88.2k to play. It's sound might be too relaxed.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It would replace an Audioengine D1, provided that the sound was not too forward or exhibiting what some call artificial detail. The D1 only goes up to 96k and requires work arounds to get 88.2k to play. It's sound might be too relaxed.
I did compare the D10 with mine Xone 4D soundcart which has a AK4358 at that time(2008/9) one of the better dac's around. I also compard it to mine around 36 year old Philips CD630 with 1541A DAC (with JK accoustics analog modification simply better analog components then where found in the CD630 at the time) which was (and is) still one of the best DAC's around. If i compare those two to the D10 i can't hardly make a difference. Maybe the AK4358 is a bit more pronounced in the High frequensies. The reason for me to buy the D10 was first almost perfect measurment & strong output level which implicates that there can't be hardly any issiues with the sound quality like collored sound and tight bass. But as important i can now play every files from MP3 to DSD and don't have too spend a fortune.

Last edited:

DWPress

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Just wanted to chime in that my D10 finally arrived on the slow boat from China. I've been letting it chug away all afternoon after swapping it out for the Schitt Modi 2.

I have major NOISE when plugged into USB! I even pulled out my Jitterbug to see if that would filter some out of the crap but no go. If I even just drag a window around the screen I get noise. It is omnipresent and isn't affected by volume control and idles at a constant 16-20db cycle of crappola. My Schitt didn't do this - same USB port, same computer. Running OSX 10.13.4 and iTunes via a USB2 port (USB3 same noise), tried different USB cables and ports. I could power it separately and run a signal in via toslink but that sort of defeats the purpose of the upgrade eh?

I must have got a lemon which sucks as now it'll be another 6 week wait if I even bother to return it to the ebay seller....

DWPress

Forum Donor
Just tried it through a powered USB hub. Lots better but I can still hear it when I plug in the USB cable - there is usually absolute silence even when preamp is cranked all the way. Sucks, sucks, sucks.....

Nesty

Just tried it through a powered USB hub. Lots better but I can still hear it when I plug in the USB cable - there is usually absolute silence even when preamp is cranked all the way. Sucks, sucks, sucks.....

May we know who the seller is? so we can avoid buying from them...thanks

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
May we know who the seller is? so we can avoid buying from them...thanks
Probably it is better to open the D10 an take a detaild picture an post it here to see if all materials/parts are original (as far we can validate the parts by seeing a picture).

Last edited:

digititus

I have the D10 as part of my headphone setup. Love it! Resolving and works like a charm.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Why don't I buy it from you to test here? I feel bad that you bought it based on my measurements and don't want you get stuck with a bad product.

For what it is worth, I am not sure this is a one-off issue. It sounds like a potential USB isolation problem. So an exchange may still get you the same problem.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Why don't I buy it from you to test here? I feel bad that you bought it based on my measurements and don't want you get stuck with a bad product.

For what it is worth, I am not sure this is a one-off issue. It sounds like a potential USB isolation problem. So an exchange may still get you the same problem.
Oh praise be our benevolent lord and saviour king amir ..

DWPress

Forum Donor
I've been playing with it more today and tried it with my laptop (2012 Macbook Pro on battery power) - no noise. Tried it with a 2009 Macbook on AC power only - no noise. Then tried it again with different USB ports on my 2013 iMac - major noise, back to the powered hub - better but still a low audible whine. So I've switched back to the Schitt Modi 2 - no noise but to isolate it better from the poor measurements Amirm made I've also run it through an old Nuforce U192S USB to optical adapter.

I don't know what to make of it really. All the other DACs and USB audio devices I have work just fine on the iMac with no issues or noise. I really appreciate your offer Amirm. You say it may not be a "one-off" issue, does that mean you've experienced problems with other Topping offerings?

The ebay seller is szclever88 for $77.08 but he has good feedback. I opened up the case and the solder joints look good as well as everything else with casual observation- pic attached.

Attachments

• IMG_5819.JPG
    IMG_5819.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 370
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I don't know what to make of it really. All the other DACs and USB audio devices I have work just fine on the iMac with no issues or noise. I really appreciate your offer Amirm. You say it may not be a "one-off" issue, does that mean you've experienced problems with other Topping offerings?
Yes, there were some reports on Topping D50. There, removal of the power from USB worked but that won't work here because Topping D50 has separate power input.

There can be strange ground loops with USB and without a full galvanic isolation, the problem will crop up in certain configurations.

Top Bottom