• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D10 DAC

jaco61

Not to forget Shiit Magni Heresy with solid metal case and volume pot, even more power and the price a bit below the Atom in europe.
I changed the Atom for this beauty ;)
Some motivation too maybe was standby consumption (2,6 W Atom, 1 W Magni). The Heresy in use again sucks a bit less but throws out almost double power. Soundwise both are top notch flat and transparent, not to distinguish.

Last edited:

Windofrce

Not really, maybe Khadas tone board + Atom is slightly better on paper.
Not to forget Shiit Magni Heresy with solid metal case and volume pot, even more power and the price a bit below the Atom in europe.
I changed the Atom for this beauty ;)
Some motivation too maybe was standby consumption (2,6 W Atom, 1 W Magni). The Heresy in use again sucks a bit less but throws out almost double power. Soundwise both are top notch flat and transparent, not to distinguish.

Thanks guys. I already own JDS Labs Atom AMP and it is brutally good. Now I am trying to find great DAC to pair with Atom. I want great measuring, raw performance DAC without special inputs and features. Maybe Khadas Tone Board is just what I am looking for. I can not find anything that measure better than Khadas Tone Board in 100$ price range? Am I right? :)

Veri

Master Contributor
Thanks guys. I already own JDS Labs Atom AMP and it is brutally good. Now I am trying to find great DAC to pair with Atom. I want great measuring, raw performance DAC without special inputs and features. Maybe Khadas Tone Board is just what I am looking for. I can not find anything that measure better than Khadas Tone Board in 100$ price range? Am I right? :)
Maybe new Sanskrit once it is out. over USB, looks also very good for a budget DAC! :)
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...t-of-smsl-sanskrit-10th-ak4493-edition.10830/

Zek

Major Contributor
For new Sanskrit @Mandy said:
"The end of this month will be in stock."

Veri

Master Contributor
What do you guys think if it will be available in Europe, amazon.de? Or maybe ebay.com
In Europe I suggest to mail audiophonics they can probably order it directly from SMSL for you.

Lafayette

I purchased the D10 to use with my PC, and whenever I am gaming, there is a buzz that comes out of my speakers. Happens with any game I'm playing, if I tab out of the game, the noise goes away. Does not happen when I'm listening to music or watching a movie. I don't believe it's a defective unit, but has anyone else had this issue?

My set up right now is an NAD D3045 with Ascend Acoustics Sierra-2EX, I just wanted to try a DAC to see if there was an audible difference.

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Btw which one will send more output power to my JDS Labs Atom? Khadas tone board or D10?

Power is not really the relevant spec, it's voltage. Both put out slightly over 2.0 Vrms at 0 dBFS digital input. The tiny differences in amirm's measurements of full scale output voltage are meaningless when it comes to performance.

0bs3rv3r

I purchased the D10 to use with my PC, and whenever I am gaming, there is a buzz that comes out of my speakers. Happens with any game I'm playing, if I tab out of the game, the noise goes away. Does not happen when I'm listening to music or watching a movie. I don't believe it's a defective unit, but has anyone else had this issue?

Sounds to me as though you have a ground loop, and when your video card switches modes for the games, it generates enough electrical noise in that loop to become audible. You need to examine the grounding schemes of the computer and amplifier that the DAC connects with.

Asmodeus2112

Sounds to me as though you have a ground loop, and when your video card switches modes for the games, it generates enough electrical noise in that loop to become audible. You need to examine the grounding schemes of the computer and amplifier that the DAC connects with.
+1, I had buzz when using my D10 from a computer. Ground issues, went through trying different computers and amps, determined it wasn't the D10. I found using a nuc or laptop was dead silent. My PC with three prong AC plug caused problems, but oddly only with the pre amp I was using. With the same computer and any of my other pre amps or AVR's the topping is dead silent.

Windofrce

Power is not really the relevant spec, it's voltage. Both put out slightly over 2.0 Vrms at 0 dBFS digital input. The tiny differences in amirm's measurements of full scale output voltage are meaningless when it comes to performance.
So my JDS Labs Atom will be equally loud using both of them?

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So my JDS Labs Atom will be equally loud using both of them?

Per amirm's review of the D10:

Measured output voltage was 2.113 volts (RMS) on one channel and 2.108 on the other so very excellent (0.021 dB difference). Response is essentially ruler flat to 20 kHz.

For the Tone Board:

1581517514601.png

So the D10 should put out ~2.110 Vrms at full scale digital input, and the Tone Board should put out 2.054 Vrms (give or take 0.001 Vrms.)

2.110 Vrms = 6.486 dBV for the D10.

2.054 Vrms = 6.252 dBV for the Tone Board.

The output of the Tone Board is thus 0.24 dBV lower than the D10 at full scale. That's less than the channel imbalance on most audio taper volume control potentiometers.

Nothing to worry about, unless you can discriminate less than a 1 dB difference and you run your amp at full volume all the time. ;)

Windofrce

Yeah. At least roughly. If it's not loud enough, check the digital source then use high gain on Atom if needed.
Per amirm's review of the D10:

Measured output voltage was 2.113 volts (RMS) on one channel and 2.108 on the other so very excellent (0.021 dB difference). Response is essentially ruler flat to 20 kHz.

For the Tone Board:

View attachment 49897

So the D10 should put out ~2.110 Vrms at full scale digital input, and the Tone Board should put out 2.054 Vrms (give or take 0.001 Vrms.)

2.110 Vrms = 6.486 dBV for the D10.

2.054 Vrms = 6.252 dBV for the Tone Board.

The output of the Tone Board is thus 0.24 dBV lower than the D10 at full scale. That's less than the channel imbalance on most audio taper volume control potentiometers.

Nothing to worry about, unless you can discriminate less than a 1 dB difference and you run your amp at full volume all the time. ;)
Okay. Thank you. I ordered Khadas Board. I think it should sound great in combination with my JDS Labs Atom AMP.
Do I need to consider buying new better quality USB C power cable or something to isolate board from potentially bad things?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Okay. Thank you. I ordered Khadas Board. I think it should sound great in combination with my JDS Labs Atom AMP.
Do I need to consider buying new better quality USB C power cable or something to isolate board from potentially bad things?
Probably not. They started shipping a better USB cable after problems with the oringinal ones. The Tone Board has on board filtering and regulators for the sensitive bits, so changing power supply probably won't change anything. What potentially bad things do you have in mind?

Windofrce

Probably not. They started shipping a better USB cable after problems with the oringinal ones. The Tone Board has on board filtering and regulators for the sensitive bits, so changing power supply probably won't change anything. What potentially bad things do you have in mind?
If that is the thing, then nothing. Thank you for information. Can't wait for it to arrive. I am really excited. :)

Top Bottom