• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D10 DAC

zenon

You just find another way to measure Mike and Bob: the weight.
And you can also measure their belly width with a ruler.

Now show me a measurement of your op amp rolling, and if possible the proof that it is audible.

No, the question here is why one looks, but it is not.
Nothing in this world is binary entirely.

THW

Forum Donor
another one of those audio voodoo believers who probably thinks his ears are somehow better at evaluating sound than state of the art measuring equipment

the hubris that people are capable of never ceases to amaze me

zenon

another one of those audio voodoo believers who probably thinks his ears are somehow better at evaluating sound than state of the art measuring equipment

the hubris that people are capable of never ceases to amaze me

And this is based on what?
Another one who has read several reviews and imagines he has become hyper competent with this.

Veri

Master Contributor
I would like you to think about the certification of USB cables and why it is needed.
P.S. We see that Bob is thicker than Mike, but it turns out that Bob weighs more than Mike... Why is that ;)

Damn the analogies are almost too perfect to be true. If only we could verify someone's thickness, indeed! From freedictionary:

thick (thĭk)
Informal: Lacking mental agility. Hmm.

You just find another way to measure Mike and Bob: the weight.
Check mate :)

Oh, well look at this, we have another Google engineer! :D

Are you also saying that OPA2134 and also OPA1612 shouldn't be used in I/V stage as their GBP is too low (8 and 11MHz)? :D

How about you and your buddy @777 read this post. Here is what it says:

"In all cases, even with the most expensive tester, you can't measure everything out of the box. For example, if you drop $30K on an a state of the art audio tester, you won't be able to even slightly detect the distortion of a modern $2 opamp like the OPA1612. In those cases, engineers have been forced to find ways to make a series of measurements that tease that performance out. For opamps, there are circuits such as "distortion magnifiers" (see TI OPA1612 spec for schematic) that will force the opamp to distort 100X more than normal. "

So much about OPA 1612, and OPA2134 for that matter, not being capable to do I/V conversion.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D It's clear, you do not want to read. If you like a short story, read this: https://www.by-rutgers.nl/IV-converter.html

By the way... this in my QA401. Who is the google engineer ? Are you engineer any kind ? :D

Attachments

• qa401.jpg
    qa401.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 317

THW

Forum Donor
And this is based on what?
Another one who has read several reviews and imagines he has become hyper competent with this.

Oh sure because those measurements that you keep referring to totally indicate that there actually are any audible differences between different cables

zenon

Damn the analogies are almost too perfect to be true. If only we could verify someone's thickness, indeed! From freedictionary:

thick (thĭk)
Informal: Lacking mental agility. Hmm.

Check mate :)
OK! Fine.
Why don't you want to know what I wrote? Really, I use Google translate, but to be so goofy Google I don't believe it :D

HAL9000

I see different behavior of DAC with two different cables.
But if you like what Amir wrote, so be it.

In the case of USB, we're also ignoring that many USB DACs are bus powered (like Topping D10) , meaning that the cable's physical characteristics, such as conductor size and material affects how much power it can draw. What do you suppose can happen in the moment when a D10 doesn't receive enough current to both amplify and decode a weak signal from the computer, because something else (such as a hard drive or wireless radio) on the same USB bus decides that it needs to do some power-intensive activity that causes a voltage dip every 1/nth of a second? May fail in an obvious way such as by producing silence between the nearest zero crossings instead of the uninterpretable bits, which may produce audible crackles or other noise. USB power issues under various conditions are common enough that their standards body have published specific test procedures to deal with that. For example:
http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/wireless_documents/USB-IFTestProc1_3.pdf
http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/whitepapers/power_delivery_motherboards.pdf
How specific DACs behave or fail in under-voltage conditions depends on the decoder and implementation. I'm sure you can find datasheets and publications about digital audio products that implement various error concealment methods. For example:
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/cc8531.pdf
https://patents.google.com/patent/US6687670B2/en
https://patents.google.com/patent/US5852805
http://www.tnt.uni-hannover.de/papers/data/934/AES46th_paper_err_con.pdf
http://www.wcl.ece.upatras.gr/audiogroup/publications/pdfs/MJEC_PacketConcealmentPaper.pdf
Some poorly grounded laptops-(like mine)-results in the device disconnecting and reconnecting, the output being repeated, the output dropping out, the output popping out, sustained non-sine wave replacing or overlaid on the output, and some others I'm probably forgetting. Fun stuff happens when bits are allowed to stray in the buffer and/or the DAC chip's registers.

fairx

Today I bought Pi zero W board and installed volumio. MI power bank 2.0A powered the pi zero w and connected to my d10 paired with my o2 amp. It works nicely playing from upnp and music transferred to internal storage. I only hears some small drop in music when transferring files via WiFi. Otherwise its all clean.

However the sound sig differs slightly. It's still sound very detail and spacious but warmer. From my Tin T2 iem it doesn't sound very apparent but with my intime Sora light iem the bass definitely bigger (compared to same combo directly from my laptop)

Anybody have same setup as mine can add any input? What changes?

Edit

The only thing that different form my normal istening is that in pc I use foobar with replay gain ON. Volumio default is OFF (I double check this in mpd.conf)

Last edited:
Have you updated your firmware?

http://en.tpdz.net/wdzn_detail/newsId=84.html

Also, if you're using Windows 10 I suggest not to install the Topping drivers, but use the drivers that already come in Windows. :)

I've been having the sleep issue since I started sleeping my computer recently. I've found that the links in this thread don't seem to work any more and I can't find any firmware utilities on Topping's website. I emailed support about the issue and they just told me to update my iOS despite the fact that my issue was about my computer sleeping. Any ideas? Is there a secret firmware part of their website?

Last edited:

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Am I understanding this properly ? This DAC has only usb input ? Coax and spdif can be ONLY used as an output ? There is no way to use coax and spdif to input the data ?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Am I understanding this properly ? This DAC has only usb input ? Coax and spdif can be ONLY used as an output ? There is no way to use coax and spdif to input the data ?
You are understanding this properly. If you want something in a similar price and performance range with coax and toslink inputs have a look at the recent SMSL M100 review.

FireLion

D10 is a great little DAC. I put an OPA2604 in and it seemed to mesh well is there a difference on the gain between the RCA on this and say a SDAC-B's XLR?

FireLion

? Why yes, 4Vrms output on XLR instead of 2Vrms on RCA. A difference of 6dB if I'm not mistaken.

I can comfortably drive a T50RP based driver in low gain, even SE was acceptable on an LCX whereas before I had to use high gain.

errolng

Hey guys. Spent the past couple of days on different forums trying to figure things out but I'm so new to all this and haven't a clue so I probably missed things out while reading.
My first issue is that if I download the driver, I can only select up to 192khz but I'm able to hit 384khz without it.
The other thing is the bitrate on the display is fixed to whatever I set it to (192 right now) regardless of what file I'm playing or Spotify.
Would greatly appreciate the help.
Thanks in advance

Veri

Master Contributor
Hey guys. Spent the past couple of days on different forums trying to figure things out but I'm so new to all this and haven't a clue so I probably missed things out while reading.
My first issue is that if I download the driver, I can only select up to 192khz but I'm able to hit 384khz without it.
The other thing is the bitrate on the display is fixed to whatever I set it to (192 right now) regardless of what file I'm playing or Spotify.
Would greatly appreciate the help.
Thanks in advance
Windows, right? Setting Windows sample rate will simply resample all windows audio to said sample rate, but Windows sucks at resampling; so don't simply select the highest rate, many think this is a good thing but it's more detrimental that not.

Most sources like spotify, YouTube, ... use 44Khz so safest is just to set it to 44 with max bit depth and be happy.

Movies are generally 48Khz but if you have a smart player like MPC-HC you can put on 'exclusive' mode which will automatically push the source sample rate. Smart audio players can also use WASAPI exclusive mode (or ASIO) to auto select source rate. And Windows will only fall back to the default in any other case, where 44Khz will generally be ideal...

errolng

Windows, right? Setting Windows sample rate will simply resample all windows audio to said sample rate, but Windows sucks at resampling; so don't simply select the highest rate, many think this is a good thing but it's more detrimental that not.

Most sources like spotify, YouTube, ... use 44Khz so safest is just to set it to 44 with max bit depth and be happy.

Movies are generally 48Khz but if you have a smart player like MPC-HC you can put on 'exclusive' mode which will automatically push the source sample rate. Smart audio players can also use WASAPI exclusive mode (or ASIO) to auto select source rate. And Windows will only fall back to the default in any other case, where 44Khz will generally be ideal...

Thanks for the quick reply!
Yup I'm using windows.
I was just wondering as others said the sample rates changed on the display depending on what they were listening to.
And do you have any idea why the driver doesn't allow 384khz?

Top Bottom