• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D10 DAC

Budgeter

Hi, I'm new to desktop DAC. I'm planning to buy Topping D10 with JDS Atom. But I probably going to buy the D10 first and the Atom next month. My question is, if I use RCA to 3.5 jack female adapter and connected to headphone, can it produce sound from the RCA out? I'm new to this and trying to search around the internet for the answer but couldn't found it. Appreciate someone cam answer this for me. Thank you.
It can but there is 2 things you have to remember.
1) It will color your sound duo to high output impedance.
2) If you max out the volume, there is a chance it will break your headphones because the output is too high (0 dBFS ~ 2VRms for this particular DAC)

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, I'm new to desktop DAC. I'm planning to buy Topping D10 with JDS Atom. But I probably going to buy the D10 first and the Atom next month. My question is, if I use RCA to 3.5 jack female adapter and connected to headphone, can it produce sound from the RCA out? I'm new to this and trying to search around the internet for the answer but couldn't found it. Appreciate someone cam answer this for me. Thank you.
I would not do that.
Yes it would make sound but you could blow your phones that way if you send too much gain. Plus the sound might not be great if the impedance of the RCA out is high

Veri

Master Contributor
I tried it with Sennheiser HD1 phones and there was no coloration.
Well it would depend on the impedance curve on FR response. Higher ohm headphones (also planars) will be less affected.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Well it would depend on the impedance curve on FR response. Higher ohm headphones (also planars) will be less affected.

I'm aware of that. My comment was toward the fact that output impedance of D10 is not as high as one could expect.

Budgeter

I'm aware of that. My comment was toward the fact that output impedance of D10 is not as high as one could expect.
Actually, its output impedance is 100 ohm.
d10.PNG

Veri

Master Contributor
I don't think it's easy to guesstimate from listening, except when listening to a tube amp where one could say output impedance is "too damn high" :)

Biblob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Archimago has tested this DAC as well recently. He found out that the Topping D10 has a inverted impulse response. Might have to flip that polarity, boys.
Link here
Overall found out to be great quality as well.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Re the polarity issue, using my D10 to convert the files linked from this page:
https://sourceforge.net/p/playpcmwin/wiki/AbsolutePolarityListeningTest/
Would seem to confirm (at least to my ears) that the D10 is indeed inverting polarity. Anyone else?

I just did the test with my Scarlett 2i4 + AKG K701.
I perceive the "Inverted" flac as higher in pitch than the other.
According to what he wrote, I also have inverted polarity.
Are we sure that he didn't invert the files in the first place?

PyramidElectric

I just did the test with my Scarlett 2i4 + AKG K701.
I perceive the "Inverted" flac as higher in pitch than the other.
According to what he wrote, I also have inverted polarity.
Are we sure that he didn't invert the files in the first place?

OK repeated the test using a Chord Mojo (and immediately switching to the D10) and it seems they're both the same... so either they're both inverted or the files are labelled wrong. Still doesn't really explain Archimago's D10 (measured) inversed polarity... perhaps a one off miswired one?

Rotokon

Is there any way to get iTunes to play through the D10 at the files sample rate? I'm using Windows 10 and have the Topping driver installed. All is well using Foobar, but iTunes will only play at 44.1 through D10. Even when I change the sampling rate to 96 in preferences within iTunes and restart iTunes, it plays everything at 44.1

I'm having the same issue, did you ever resolve it? If I use my dragonfly red I get 192 kHz using the same USB port.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Opinions are polarized.
Did a test in Foobar2000 making use of "Simple Polarity Inverter"an yes there is (must be) a difference after switching for 2 minutes. After 10 minutes i could not hear the difference anymore. :facepalm:

Last edited:

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there any way to get iTunes to play through the D10 at the files sample rate? I'm using Windows 10 and have the Topping driver installed. All is well using Foobar, but iTunes will only play at 44.1 through D10. Even when I change the sampling rate to 96 in preferences within iTunes and restart iTunes, it plays everything at 44.1

Did you try changing the options in the Windows Sound control panel?
Check the sample rate in the "Advanced" tab.
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-manage-sound-settings-windows-10-april-2018-update

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom