• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D10 DAC

SiW

Does the D10 definitely work on Android 8.1?

Is USB media player the best app to use?

Mobile is a Motorola G5.

Thinking of changing from my iPhone as my car has Android Auto so I can use that for navi as well as audio from the mobile as my source. D10 will be for optical out to my DSP.

fairx

Does the D10 definitely work on Android 8.1?

Is USB media player the best app to use?

Mobile is a Motorola G5.

Thinking of changing from my iPhone as my car has Android Auto so I can use that for navi as well as audio from the mobile as my source. D10 will be for optical out to my DSP.
Not sure the difference between 8.1 and 8.0. Using split data / power to my Samsung (oreo 8.0)+ UsbC otg, I can use d10. The default playback samplerate is 192khz 32bit (reported in poweramp. I tried UAPP trial and bitperfect works fine. Hiby music bitperfect also now fine with my Samsung (just bought UsbC otg adapter).

However on my old nexus 5 with Resurrection Remix oreo 8.1 the default playback samplerate is 96khz 32bit, UAPP bitperfect is fine but Hiby Music playback is glitchy no matter bitperfect or not.

Hope this helps.

SiW

Not sure the difference between 8.1 and 8.0. Using split data / power to my Samsung (oreo 8.0)+ UsbC otg, I can use d10. The default playback samplerate is 192khz 32bit (reported in poweramp. I tried UAPP trial and bitperfect works fine. Hiby music bitperfect also now fine with my Samsung (just bought UsbC otg adapter).

However on my old nexus 5 with Resurrection Remix oreo 8.1 the default playback samplerate is 96khz 32bit, UAPP bitperfect is fine but Hiby Music playback is glitchy no matter bitperfect or not.

Hope this helps.

Got my Motorola G5 and used NePLAYER with no luck :(

It’s running 8.1 but think my OTG cable may be bust.

Which is the best free music player app to use?

Last edited:

nickstyle

I have found the best idea to solve my problem with my unit
I will buy another one,change it with mine and return it to get a refund :D
I have no answer from the topping,their site doesn`t exist anymore and i can`t contact the seller for waranty

Jeka

Anyone had a problem where you just get up from your chair or move certain way and the relay inside D10 clicks and the screen goes bright for couple seconds, so I guess it disconnects for a moment. I have had this kind of problem with my PC's monitor when I had a lower quality displayport cable, but changing the cable fixed that. It had something to do with static electricity and the lenght of the cable. For the D10, changing the cable did nothing. I have actually tried 3 different cables with no luck. I have also updated the firmware and downloaded the driver and that also didn't do much, except the relay click is much quieter and I think it 'disconnects' less . I have also tried different USB ports on my PC. Is this a common problem?

fairx

Anyone had a problem where you just get up from your chair or move certain way and the relay inside D10 clicks and the screen goes bright for couple seconds, so I guess it disconnects for a moment. I have had this kind of problem with my PC's monitor when I had a lower quality displayport cable, but changing the cable fixed that. It had something to do with static electricity and the lenght of the cable. For the D10, changing the cable did nothing. I have actually tried 3 different cables with no luck. I have also updated the firmware and downloaded the driver and that also didn't do much, except the relay click is much quieter and I think it 'disconnects' less . I have also tried different USB ports on my PC. Is this a common problem?
My old lenovo laptop do this sometimes. But it's the usb issue on the motherboard. Or the motherboard altogether since turning on off the nearby electrical device (lamp / fan) etc will trigger interruption. I notice this with my hdmi output mostly.

But overall with other laptop I don't have problem even if I wiggle the USB connection hard. I also use d10 with various length USB cable from 1 meter to 3 meter. All work fine. Just sharing my experience.

nickstyle

I have the same problem but mine after click goes in sleep mode.I`ve tried to reinstall the firmware and it doesn`t work. When i try to insall the firmware i hear the clicks and i get an error.
I did use another PC and same problem

mshenay

Finally put my order in for this one! Excited to get my hands on it and run it through it's paces!

Hoping the COAX out runs driver-less on windows 10, and I'm curious to see how well it works with USB power from my POS touch screen Dell laptop

zoozilla

I'm still having an issue where the DAC will simply stop outputting audio after a while. I'm not sure what's causing it - it'll be be fine one moment, then I'll get up for a second and when I put my headphones back on there's silence.

Unplugging the DAC, waiting for a few hours, and plugging it back in again seems to work (if I re-connect it too early it won't output anything), but I have to do this once every few days and it's incredibly annoying.

I guess I'll have to send this unit back to Topping.

EDIT: Hmm, is it possible that plugging the D10 into a USB 3.0 port could cause issues? I don't really have USB 2.0 ports to spare, but I guess I could try.

Last edited:

fairx

I've been using d10 with various laptop and usb. 2.0 and 3.0 included, direct plug to port, hubbed and even with android microsub / usbC. All work fine.

Try looking into bios and change a few USB related settings just to be sure. Might worth a try.

mshenay

D-10 finally here, after UPS dropped the ball a few times

With Windows 10 it just works! I can get 24/192 as well yay
Also works nicely with my DAPs and Droid based devices,

So I dig it! Oh USB to COAX also just works, that's really why I bought it but I will be reviewing D10 again'st Modi 3 >: D

ferongr

Forum Donor
Anyone had a problem where you just get up from your chair or move certain way and the relay inside D10 clicks and the screen goes bright for couple seconds,

My D10's display "wakes up" (goes to full brightness) when the I turn off my Yamaha A-S501 using the power switch, the relay doesn't click though. Using the remote to put it on standby doesn't do that. I suspect that the D10 is sensitive to spikes and surges from the ground pins.

Also probably unrelated, for some reason, when the D10 has the output relay closed, everything is extremely silent on my speakers (even with the volume of the A-S501 turned up to 3 o'clock), but when the relay opens (computer turned off) you can hear mains buzzing. The A-S501 is ungrounded by design and the only grounding point of the whole playback chain is through the desktop computer the D10 is connected to. Strange.

dajczu

I reticently purchased D10 and JDS labs ATOM. And i have a big problem with noise/hum when i plug d10 to pc. It's audible trough headphones even on low gain with volume at 11 o'clock. Do i have a faulty device or is it a problem with my pc?

fairx

I reticently purchased D10 and JDS labs ATOM. And i have a big problem with noise/hum when i plug d10 to pc. It's audible trough headphones even on low gain with volume at 11 o'clock. Do i have a faulty device or is it a problem with my pc?
I have this problem with old laptop with 3rd party charger / adapter (2 prong). Completely silent when using battery alone but plugged to wall and I can hear noise and louder when I touch my O2 volume knob. My problem definely because of the power supply. Not sure about yours though.

pwjazz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

I have this exact same combo and had the exact same issue. In my case, the problem was that I had a monitor attached to the laptop, which resulted in a ground loop. I "solved" it by using a three prong to two prong adapter on the monitor's plug to cut that ground.

Top Bottom