• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D10 DAC

Vosya

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
To a very significant extent, latency depends not only on the device and its driver, but also on the mode in which they operate. I strongly recommend that you read the information from this thread: https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/windows-line-based-vs-message-signaled-based-interrupts.378044/
Thanks for the link.

In my case, the wifi adapter, USB 3.0 extensible host controller, and video card are already running in MSI mode. I tried enabling MSI mode on a few others that were line-based: some of them accepted MSI, others did not. Still, it did not solve my problem.

L5730

When playing music in Foobar2000, I keep getting an occasional sound cut out (lasting about half a second at a time) with my D10, mainly when I do something else on my computer like browsing the internet.

Certainly experienced this on Win7 Pro Atom n2600 2GB netbook. No browsing the web, wifi was disabled, fb2k just playing without anything else really doing anything.
Not sure if it is happening with Win10 HP Pentium (Atom) n3710 4GB notebook. I don't think so, the system is far more responsive. Wifi disabled completely (Linux dual boot, Widnows used for DSD/BitPerfect PCM only).

Doesn't happen at all on Win10Pro Ryzen 1700x 32GB desktop, but I'd bloomin' well hope not.

What I do with Fb2k setting is to put the file reading to 4 or 8MB, slacken the buffer (it makes visuals go out of sync, but meh), and raise thread priority to midway or just above. Seems pretty stable.

Wifi drivers and wifi in general and wireless devices (probably because they use the wireless/bluetooth shared device) have a history of causing audio problems. The internet forums are full of posts about it.

escape2

What I do with Fb2k setting is to put the file reading to 4 or 8MB, slacken the buffer (it makes visuals go out of sync, but meh), and raise thread priority to midway or just above. Seems pretty stable.
Yeah, tried all that but sadly it makes no difference. Buffer does not seem to be an issue. The issue seems to be activity on the wifi adapter, alas, I can't disable it as I will not be able to access my music library without it.

I could try picking up an external usb wifi adapter, but somehow I doubt this will make things better.

nirschl

Looking for a bit of help here. Using an iPhone X with the D10 and ONKYO HD Player App. I’ve loaded up several DSD 5.6 and 2.8 files. When I go to play it immediately goes to 192 PCM output. I have yet to see the DSD light up. Can anyone help in laymen terms. Thanks from a straight up novice.

Edit: I’ve gone in to the app settings and when I choose “Real-Time DSD Conversion” it it shows 352 but won’t play. Sound stops. Switch it to off and back to PCM 192 and sound.

Toku

Major Contributor
Looking for a bit of help here. Using an iPhone X with the D10 and ONKYO HD Player App. I’ve loaded up several DSD 5.6 and 2.8 files. When I go to play it immediately goes to 192 PCM output. I have yet to see the DSD light up. Can anyone help in laymen terms. Thanks from a straight up novice.

Edit: I’ve gone in to the app settings and when I choose “Real-Time DSD Conversion” it it shows 352 but won’t play. Sound stops. Switch it to off and back to PCM 192 and sound.
Did you read the Onkyo HF player manual?
Onkyo HF Pkayer converts DSD files to PCM and outputs them from iPhone X.
So, in D10, all DSDs are displayed as PCM.

nirschl

Thanks for the response! Guess I missed that.
Interesting.

nirschl

By the way, I’m also in Japan. Cheers

L5730

Yeah, tried all that but sadly it makes no difference. Buffer does not seem to be an issue. The issue seems to be activity on the wifi adapter, alas, I can't disable it as I will not be able to access my music library without it.

I could try picking up an external usb wifi adapter, but somehow I doubt this will make things better.

Chances are the internal WiFi hardware in your machine is running through PCI-e bus, which will have priority over USB (also provided by PCI-e).
Using an external device (USB2.0/3.0) should mitigate that, but then it's sharing USB with the USB DAC.
I really think PCI should have been sorted out by now. I recall folks having issues with the old PCI (not express) and IRQ conflicts, so having to move audio cards and their other PCI cards around to see what would stop dropouts. Obviously you can't do that in a laptop, but with all the bandwidth available, I'd have thought PCI-e would be quite immune to this kinda stuff.

If you can try a cheap USB WiFi dongle, that might help. You'd have to disable the driver for the onboard WiFi module as well, as I am not sure just not using it/disabling in Windows would work. Have a check around online to see if a dongle you like the look/price of still has issues.
Maybe an Ethernet > WiFi dongle might work?

ferongr

Forum Donor
I've never seen that mentioned, but what input impedance is set in the analyzer when testing line-level devices like DACs?

mshenay

Quick question I heard a rumor that this did USB 2 spdif than the shit etir

Can anyone confirm if it will do so driverless with Windows and Android devices

And if said driverless performance will do 24-bit 192khz

I'm in need of a second specific interface for my systems and I'm wondering if I should just get this DAC as well for review since it'll do two things that I needed to do

but if I have to install drivers to use it with Windows and if it doesn't just work with Android devices it's of no use to me

L5730

I can only say it does work driver-less in Windows, albeit I have limited testing in 7 on a low-end platform and 10, which was fine, but I wanted the driver, and it does not need to have the tray icon running all the time/on boot up.

On a RPi with volumio there is no specific driver to download, so it works by declaring what it is and the RPi sees it via USB. 24/192 is fine on the RPi/Voiumio as well as DSD64 (128?). I think I was inducing glitches because of sending data over the network. Local file playback on the Pi/Volumio was fine.

Hopefully others can confirm/deny specifically by their own experience with their own platforms.

CerealKiller

Hi, i'm a little confused by some of the last words in Amirm review,

"With its much higher output vs Behringer UMC204HD (1.5 volt RMS vs 1.1 volt) it is suitable to drive any and all amplifiers."

It says D10 output is 1,5 Volts at max, but specifications says its 2 Volts RMS, can someone confirm wich one is correct?

caguilar91

Hi, i'm a little confused by some of the last words in Amirm review,

"With its much higher output vs Behringer UMC204HD (1.5 volt RMS vs 1.1 volt) it is suitable to drive any and all amplifiers."

It says D10 output is 1,5 Volts at max, but specifications says its 2 Volts RMS, can someone confirm wich one is correct?
"Measured output voltage was 2.113 volts (RMS) on one channel and 2.108 on the other so very excellent (0.021 dB difference). Response is essentially ruler flat to 20 kHz."

I guess he was trying to say 1.5 Vrms vs 2.1 Vrms. Also you can check that on the new analyzer RMS level shows the 2.1 Vrms of the D10:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...surements-of-topping-d10-dac.2470/post-157302

Tonny B

Take a look at this...

https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/amp/e-mu-0204-usb.php

Checked it out quickly and did notice it's an amplifier too, impedance seems high at 23.4 ohms and its amp section seems low powered, but as a DAC doesn't seem bad. If you connect headphones directly, most surely it will change the frequency response because of the high output impedance and considering it doesn't drive high impedance headphones with ample power.

That's correct. E-MU 0204 has got a headphone amp and a second AKM chip dedicated to that. Amp part is not impressive nor bad though, just a good bonus. What's important to me is its straight DAC functionality... or more so quality, which I still find quite impressive. The main flaw that makes me searching for more is its infamous driver issue. So! I bought myself Topping D10 the other week and had been testing them side by side since. And I'm going to write a review in more details soon. Which is gonna be controversial... )

nickstyle

Hey,i own this little thing from january and i really like it but i have a problem.Maybe i`m not the only one but is hard to read 70 pages to fine out :)
So 1 or 2 time a day is getting in to the sleep mode when i listen music and the only way to get it back to work is to disconnect the usb and reconnect it.The usb is connected direct to my PC.I tried different usb ports but same problem.Any suggestion?
Thank you

caguilar91

Hey,i own this little thing from january and i really like it but i have a problem.Maybe i`m not the only one but is hard to read 70 pages to fine out :)
So 1 or 2 time a day is getting in to the sleep mode when i listen music and the only way to get it back to work is to disconnect the usb and reconnect it.The usb is connected direct to my PC.I tried different usb ports but same problem.Any suggestion?
Thank you
Have you updated your firmware?

http://en.tpdz.net/wdzn_detail/newsId=84.html

Also, if you're using Windows 10 I suggest not to install the Topping drivers, but use the drivers that already come in Windows. :)

nickstyle

Yes, i did update the firmware
I use windows 10 and i attached a pic with the driver
Please tell me if is the right one

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 285

caguilar91

Yes, i did update the firmware
I use windows 10 and i attached a pic with the driver
Please tell me if is the right one
You're on the latest firmware and driver. However that driver is meant for Windows 7 and Windows 8 which don't have support for UAC2 out of the box. So, maybe you may wanna try uninstalling the driver from Topping and use the one included on Windows 10.

Top Bottom