• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D10 DAC

Vosya

God bless "Ignore" feature.
With a certain desire and labor expenditures, personal opinions about sound using well-known methods are easily converted into objective scientific results. Arrogance and boasting are not transformed into science in any way.

zenon

Anyone sees there something serious, worth for revers-engineering, really? zenon, if you looking for some comment, why you show only part of the idea, how we can guess about missed parts?

It's a whole idea, not a single part.
Just read a little bit more, before post.
It's simple.

Tonny B

Can you please suggest is it worth switching to Topping D10 (Sabre ES9018K2M) from E-MU 0204 interface (AK4396 chip) in terms of overall output quality apart from DSD support?

Attachments

• e-mu 02004 vs Topping d10.jpg
    e-mu 02004 vs Topping d10.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 627

NTomokawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Can you please suggest is it worth switching to Topping D10 (Sabre ES9018K2M) from E-MU 0204 interface (AK4396 chip) in terms of overall output quality apart from DSD support?
Without objectively testing both devices under the same conditions, nobody can provide an objective answer.

That being said, I personally tend to believe that a dedicated, standalone unit would tend to do a better job than a similar device jam-packed with all sorts of features.

Especially if they cost about the same (N.B. the EMU 0204 has been discontinued at the time of writing and I have no way of knowing its original MSRP).

Just my $2 CAD (adjusted for inflation and devaluation).

Tonny B

Without objectively testing both devices under the same conditions, nobody can provide an objective answer.
That being said, I personally tend to believe that a dedicated, standalone unit would tend to do a better job than a similar device jam-packed with all sorts of features.
Especially if they cost about the same (N.B. the EMU 0204 has been discontinued at the time of writing and I have no way of knowing its original MSRP).
Just my $2 CAD (adjusted for inflation and devaluation).
NTomokawa
Thanks for your contribution! ,)
That's the ting: I paid ~ $190 USD for E-MU 0204 back in 2011. So it is roughly twice the cost (not sure abt inflation and devaluation though)
Maybe someone already made that switch (E-MU > Topping) and may suggest smth, because the device is long known and widely used.

caguilar91

NTomokawa
Thanks for your contribution! ,)
That's the ting: I paid ~ $190 USD for E-MU 0204 back in 2011. So it is roughly twice the cost (not sure abt inflation and devaluation though)
Maybe someone already made that switch (E-MU > Topping) and may suggest smth, because the device is long known and widely used.
Take a look at this...

https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/amp/e-mu-0204-usb.php

Checked it out quickly and did notice it's an amplifier too, impedance seems high at 23.4 ohms and its amp section seems low powered, but as a DAC doesn't seem bad. If you connect headphones directly, most surely it will change the frequency response because of the high output impedance and considering it doesn't drive high impedance headphones with ample power.

escape2

When playing music in Foobar2000, I keep getting an occasional sound cut out (lasting about half a second at a time) with my D10, mainly when I do something else on my computer like browsing the internet. I played around with different ASIO buffer sizes (in Topping Control Panel), as well as different buffers in Foobar2000. Using Thread Priority 7. None of it helped. What else can I try? Should I ditch ASIO altogether?

It seems to mainly happen when playing files from my network drive where all my music library is stored. I never had this problem with my previous USB DAC (Fiio Q1), but I did not use ASIO with it.

D10 firmware: 1.02
D10 driver: 4.47

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would try a buffer of 500, 1000 or even 2000 ms. But perhaps you already tried those values.
In the ASIO panel and in Foobar.

escape2

I would try a buffer of 500, 1000 or even 2000 ms. But perhaps you already tried those values.
In the ASIO panel and in Foobar.
Already tried these values in Foobar2000.

The Topping ASIO panel does not give me values in ms. It gives values in samples, from 8 to 2048, and I've already tried different values here as well.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I myself run a Topping D10 on Foobar with Convolver (which is hungry) on a dedicated "music juke-box" HP Stream with only 2Go RAM and a slow processor. It works. 2 or 3 times in several weeks I got similar one or two seconds cuts, but it was because of task processing in the background (which I now prevent from loading at the Windows start).

On a PC with 8Go RAM, never had a problem.

How powerful is your machine?

Krunok

Major Contributor
When playing music in Foobar2000, I keep getting an occasional sound cut out (lasting about half a second at a time) with my D10, mainly when I do something else on my computer like browsing the internet.

It happened to me as well when I was using ASIO with D10. You may want to try this, it will help but I'm not sure if it will completely cure the problem.

Top Bottom