• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D10 DAC

Krunok

Major Contributor
Sorry, I really don't know and was just asking. Answer please if you know.

Inermodulation distortion of D10 can be described as "definitely not hearable". Any better IMD than that (like with DX7s or RME-ADI) can be described as "ultra not hearable".

So no, you won't be able to tell the difference between D10 and DX7s (or any other DAC with better IMD and/or SINAD), not only from the perspective of IMD but from any other perspective as well. They will simply sound the same. Neutral.

Last edited:

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hello,
New D10 owner here, connected to a Win7 PC. Currently running firmware 1.02, driver 4.14.

Apologies if this was covered earlier, but is it normal not to see a 32bit option in this drop-down?

s38I5Jc.png

Topping's own Control Panel shows this:

PORucW3.png

zenon

Last mod (AVCC).
Much, much better than original Sabre variant (Op amp only) or LDO (original state).
Natural sound, wider stereo base, much clear mids, hi mids & bass (bass is low, powerful, but transparent).
Vref is possible to leave as is (mod actually is unnecessary).
AVCC L_R mod.png

Budgeter

Hello,
New D10 owner here, connected to a Win7 PC. Currently running firmware 1.02, driver 4.14.

Apologies if this was covered earlier, but is it normal not to see a 32bit option in this drop-down?

s38I5Jc.png

Topping's own Control Panel shows this:

PORucW3.png
Use driver 4.47 (Dx3 pro) instead.

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
you know, I've very similar measurement of my new project aka "USB dongle DAC", in my case THD+N looks like your DX3 if I do not use THD_Comp tweak, otherwise it looks like D10. To be honest, I much easier got <-120dbA and .0003% within -3db..-30db@real planar HP load 42ohm with AK4490, without any THD_comp tweaking. Probably, the main reason is an incredible low out_of_band noise of AK4490, in fact, there is nothing to filter at all. After 9038q2m I see a lot of wideband noise + 3 tall needles 50/75/100MHz. And my output stage opamp near to clipping behaves totally differently vs AK4490 with the same opamp and load. Looks like I'll have to add one more dedicated opamp for I/V+filtering to get at least .0003% of THD+N, and it will be a challenge(PCB 20x47mm).
PS: only S/N with ES9038Q2M is impressive, I didn't check it with AP yet, however, my calculations based on -118.5dbA ADC+trafo+20db gain by OPA1612, shows me at least -126dbA. S/N is really cool but not THD at all. I suspect cheap clock maks THD higher than specs, and will test next few days ES9038Q2M with SiTime mems

Last edited:

Krunok

Major Contributor
Last mod (AVCC).
Much, much better than original Sabre variant (Op amp only) or LDO (original state).
Natural sound, wider stereo base, much clear mids, hi mids & bass (bass is low, powerful, but transparent).
Vref is possible to leave as is (mod actually is unnecessary).
View attachment 23262

But let me guess - you don't have measurements to prove all this, right?

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What I noticed about the 4.47 driver was that it brought down the bass impact a lot on my HD6XX or It felt like it did, the mids get pushed a touch brighter on 4.47, to my ears. So it's been eating at me for a few days to go back and try the 4,14 driver.... and yeah, a fuller sound, or maybe I just like the sound of the 4.14 better?
Has anyone else noticed the same on their D10? If true, then I think I'd rather stay on 4.14.

Vosya

This statement is based on knowing what drivers do and how they work.
It means nothing to anyone. Prove it by demonstrating measurements, since you are on a forum with a scientific background.

Top Bottom