• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D10 DAC

Bald1

I am also using foobar 2000 v1.4.1 / v1.4.2, but when playing DSD with ASIO (Native), the same error occurs and it stops. Although it examined variously, it seems that there is a problem with foobar 2000 itself. The same problem has been reported by many users on the Web. PCM can reproduce up to 24 bits / 768 k without problems.

I really appreciate the reply... no, "sanity check!" I really was going nuts trying all sorts of things to eliminate this issue. But in the long run various PCM file formats are what I play. Just wanted to explore the DSD side of things. Never owned a SACD player having stuck with Redbook and was curious. :)

At least I know it's not something I may have "fumble fingered." Again I VERY much appreciate your having taken the time to respond to my plea. :) :D

James Arthur Jancik

Based on your review, I purchased the D10 and I am quite pleased with it. A problem I am having is finding DSD players. I am testing Audirvana Plus, but it plays (well, sends) the DSD signal several dBs lower than the PCM files I have which is rather annoying. And If I am to buy it, costs as much as the D10!

Gyroscopics

Based on your review, I purchased the D10 and I am quite pleased with it. A problem I am having is finding DSD players. I am testing Audirvana Plus, but it plays (well, sends) the DSD signal several dBs lower than the PCM files I have which is rather annoying. And If I am to buy it, costs as much as the D10!

If you are okay with a little DIY, build your own streamer: Software - Volumio, Hardware: Raspberry Pi 3 B+. The hardware itself costs around $39. Volumio is freeware. DSD plays perfect on this streamer (FLAC, ALAC, MP3 and other format too). It supports Bluetooth and Airplay. It reads NAS and network drives. Or you can just plug in your USB thumb drive to the Raspberry Pi - its a micro PC which can do wonders. See my earlier post for picture and size of the RaspberryPi with case.

Why.Me

Has there ever been any clarification on hardware revisions and their differences? I have for some time owned a (presumably rev 2) with a serial starting in 1805... and recently my son ordered from the newest batch on massdrop without realizing I already had one in the house...

The new model starts in 1812 (firmware download page only goes to 1806+)... Is there any reason to hold onto the 1812 model over the 1806? If not I'll probably sell or trade it on r/AVExchange and give my kiddo the 1805 model... Thanks in advance

rocket91fm

Help! After upgrading the firmware of my D10 to V1.02, the software I use "Stereo Tool", can no longer send the correct sample rate of 192 khz using ASIO. The unit is stuck on 44.1 khz. My unit also suffers from USB digital noise. It can be seen on the oscilloscope and is apparent as a faint audible whine. I updated the firmware because it supposedly corrected this very issue. However, now I created an even worse monster. Does anyone else hear this noise and have a fix for it? And also a roll-back firmware? My model is the D10-Black Serial # 1811533337

Krunok

Major Contributor
There was a question some time ago if D10 suffers from same ESS hump as DX7s and some other models tested here. Well, I'm pretty sure it is safe to say it doesn't. Logic behind that conclusion is that D10 uses the same DAC chip as DX7 (ESS9018K2M), and as DX7 doesn't suffer from ESS hump I believe it is safe to conclude that D10 doesn't suffer from it either. :)

It would certainly be nice if this is confirmed via testing. As this is one of the most poular, if not THE most popular DACs, tested on this forum which I believe @amirm owns, I hope he will find some time to make IMD test on D10. :)

P.S. From what I was able to find on Net it seems that DX7 laso uses the same OPA2134 opamps as used in D10.

Last edited:

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The hump happens only in the ESS9038 chips, right? And even then, not in every DAC using that chip, or at least not as pronounced, like the Oppo 205 seems to be better than the norm from what I remember.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm
Hi Amir!
Can you measure Topping D10 with a square signal (1kHz, 0dB/-6dB) and post screenshots here?
Thanks in advance!
You guys are killing me. :) I have so much equipment to review and so many people complaining that it is hard to get back to old products. But sure, I can post one measurement. Which do you want, the dashboard?

zenon

You guys are killing me. :) I have so much equipment to review and so many people complaining that it is hard to get back to old products. But sure, I can post one measurement. Which do you want, the dashboard?

:)
Thanks!
Just screenshot of square wave response (overshoot, ringing , etc.)
I did many mods (D10), but in the mess I forgot to save tests of device in original state. So, I need reference measurement now :)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Here are the updated measurements for the D10:

Topping D10 DAC Measurements.png

Topping D10 DAC IMD Measurements.png

Topping D10 DAC Square Wave Measurements.png

la2ygoo

Forum Donor
d
There was a question some time ago if D10 suffers from same ESS hump as DX7s and some other models tested here. Well, I'm pretty sure it is safe to say it doesn't. Logic behind that conclusion is that D10 uses the same DAC chip as DX7 (ESS9018K2M), and as DX7 doesn't suffer from ESS hump I believe it is safe to conclude that D10 doesn't suffer from it either. :)

It would certainly be nice if this is confirmed via testing. As this is one of the most poular, if not THE most popular DACs, tested on this forum which I believe @amirm owns, I hope he will find some time to make IMD test on D10. :)

P.S. From what I was able to find on Net it seems that DX7 laso uses the same OPA2134 opamps as used in D10.

d10 an dx7 do not have ESS hump, but aune x1s (also use ESS9018K2M) have ESS hump.
so the key maybe is OPA2134 :eek:

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For intermodulation distortion:
We see here that Topping DX7 does better than Topping D10 by around 5 dB.

That should start to get audible, isn't it?

Top Bottom