• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D10 DAC

bakker_be

Are you installing Topping's USB driver on your PC and using it?
Does the symptom change even if connecting to another PC?
I suggested it to other people, but please leave it for several hours after unplugging the USB cable. Please try again by connecting USB cable again.

I have experienced similar problems only once at D10 I bought last March. At that time there was a problem with the included USB cable.

I have another experience that I can not connect to PC after plugging in / unplugging the USB cable with D50, DX3 Pro, DX7s. That time it was really shocking.

What I learned empirically at that time,
When the machine dies, turn off the power completely, leave it for 1~2 hours and connect again.
And plugging and unplugging the USB cable of the PC is done after shutting down the PC.

However, there is no basis for these.
There is not yet a machine that really got broken. All resurrected.
Topping's USB DAC sounds very good, but mysterious symptoms make me panic every time.

I am sorry in English which is difficult to read.
i did all that, tried it on machines where it hadn't been installed before, switched cables (Topping cables, other cables). Nothing worked :(

Tundra

I suggested it to other people, but please leave it for several hours after unplugging the USB cable. Please try again by connecting USB cable again.

I have experienced similar problems only once at D10 I bought last March. At that time there was a problem with the included USB cable.

I have another experience that I can not connect to PC after plugging in / unplugging the USB cable with D50, DX3 Pro, DX7s. That time it was really shocking.

When the machine dies, turn off the power completely, leave it for 1~2 hours and connect again.
And plugging and unplugging the USB cable of the PC is done after shutting down the PC.

Topping's USB DAC sounds very good, but mysterious symptoms make me panic every time.

Ya after reading some of the responses here and a number of people reporting problems i'm a bit hesitant on getting the Topping D10 now... I'd love to get one but to deal with the driver issues and other problems would make it very frustrating indeed. It's a shame, i love how the Topping D10 looks especially with the sample rate display.

zoozilla

Funny thing, I did exactly as you described - turned my PC off, unplugged the D10, left it unplugged overnight, plugged it in again before turning on my PC - and it's working.

It's a weird bug, and it doesn't really reassure me of the DAC's stability, but if it doesn't happen again I'm happy. Thanks for the tip.

Toku

Major Contributor
I may not be able to solve the problem with the method proposed, but I hope my experience will be a hint to your problem solving.

graz_lag

Major Contributor
Funny thing, I did exactly as you described - turned my PC off, unplugged the D10, left it unplugged overnight, plugged it in again before turning on my PC - and it's working.

It's a weird bug, and it doesn't really reassure me of the DAC's stability, but if it doesn't happen again I'm happy. Thanks for the tip.

It might be or not be a bug ... There are sequences to be respected in powering up or powering down A/V chains, I refer to your description "turned my PC off, unplugged the D10" - "plugged it in again before turning on my PC" ...
The overnight "rest" is a strange think though ...

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I plug & un-plug my Topping D10 the way I like, when the PC is on or not, it's never been an issue.
Perhaps you had a bit of induced current in the device and the fact of letting it un-plugged for some time let it discharge. No joke, I have to do that every now and then with my washing machine.
Or it could be a problem with Windows & drivers, but chances are lower.

Nesty

Mine does not behave that way, I have plugged and unplugged it several time when I change different op amps and no issue of D10 being driver undetected. One thing though is that Foobar sometime loses the handle D10 driver so I just re- choose wasapi push D10 DAC again. Other than that no big issues.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You could also try running it with Asio4all. That's what I did when I made measurements in REW: I chose Asio4all and set up the Focusrite Scarlett as input, the Topping D10 as output.
In Foobar and JRriver I used the Topping Asio driver.

soundwave76

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Got my D10 today. I have to say, the build quality is amazing for a device of this price! I got the JDS Labs Atom at the same time and the difference is HUGE - Atom is box of plastic. Both sound awesome though :)

rocket91fm

Anyone know if the Topping D10 has DC-coupled analog output like the Schiit Modi 3? I would also be curious of the frequency response plot @ 192 khz sampling beyond 20 khz.

Gyroscopics

I recently acquired the D10 and was checking its features. I found that the D10 does not send audio content to SPDIF/Toslink when playing DSD content from USB. PCM content goes thru fine. Can anyone please verify if this works on their D10 ?

No Sound: Source (DSD) --> USB --> D10 --> SPDIF --> another DAC --> HP Amp --> HP (no sound)
Works Fine: Source (PCM) --> USB --> D10 --> SPDIF --> another DAC --> HP Amp --> HP (works fine)

Below is the setup I'm testing:

Volumio (running on RaspberryPi 3 B+) plays DSD music file and feeds raw DSD signal to Topping D10 via USB.
Topping D10 sends digital signal to Schiit Modi 3 via SPDIF. Modi 3 feeds Monolith Liquid Spark which drives my headphone.

20190218_200038 copy.jpg

20190217_193804.jpg

Budgeter

Form what I know, it can also output DSD via coax/spdif only when using DoP, not with native DSD.
Besides, modi is not capable of DSD, maybe that's the reason too.

Gyroscopics

COX and OPT can output up to 24 bit 192 KHZ of PCM source.

So D10 doesn't down-convert DSD signal into the digital output terminals. Instead it cuts the signal off. Is this for copy-protection compliance or just hardware limitation?

Gyroscopics

Form what I know, it can also output DSD via coax/spdif only when using DoP, not with native DSD.
Besides, modi is not capable of DSD, maybe that's the reason too.

Surprisingly, Modi 3 was able to process raw DSD signal via USB directly from Volumio even when I set DSD playback to "Direct DSD" within Volumio. The other DSD playback option in Volumio is "DSD over PCM (DoP)". Perhaps "Direct DSD" setting was ignored when I connected Modi 3 to RaspberryPi (Volumio), the latter being able to recognize both my D10 and Modi 3 on the fly whenever I swap DACs.

Toku

Major Contributor
So D10 doesn't down-convert DSD signal into the digital output terminals. Instead it cuts the signal off. Is this for copy-protection compliance or just hardware limitation?
Topping D10 does not have DSD >> PCM conversion function.
So if you want to output DSD with SPDIF you need to convert to PCM with PC player software and output it to USB.

Bald1

I recently acquired a D10 to replace my Schiit Wyrd/Modi2 thanks in no small part to this thread. :)
It is paired with a Garage1217 Polaris amp driving HD600 , HD580/650, and SHP9500 cans.
QBplp6r.jpg

My D10 is a 1809 S/N series which has been updated to firmware v1.02 and driver v4.47.0
QHRwteS.jpg

I'm running it with foobar2000 v1.4.1 using the prescribed ASIO settings on a Win10 machine. All the PCM speeds work fine but when trying to play native DSD I'm experiencing a weird problem. The files I'm using are from the nativedsd.com site's sample album. When trying to play them in foobar2000 the audio starts fine for a second or two and then speeds up reminiscent of fast winding a reel-to-reel deck with the monitoring function on. :(
foobar2000 then reports this:
QTn88hY.jpg

I've sanity checked my settings several times to no avail and am quite frustrated at this point. I'm hoping someone here can help.

Last edited:

Toku

Major Contributor
I recently acquired a D10 to replace my Schiit Wyrd/Modi2 thanks in no small part to this thread. :)
It is paired with a Garage1217 Polaris amp driving HD600 , HD580/650, and SHP9500 cans.
QBplp6r.jpg

My D10 is a 1809 S/N series which has been updated to firmware v1.02 and driver v4.47.0
QHRwteS.jpg

I'm running it with foobar2000 v1.4.1 using the prescribed ASIO settings on a Win10 machine. All the PCM speeds work fine but when trying to play native DSD I'm experiencing a weird problem. The files I'm using are from the nativedsd.com site's sample album. When trying to play them in foobar2000 the audio starts fine for a second or two and then speeds up reminiscent of fast winding a reel-to-reel deck with the monitoring function on. :(
foobar2000 then reports this:
QTn88hY.jpg

I've sanity checked my settings several times to no avail and am quite frustrated at this point. I'm hoping someone here can help.
I am also using foobar 2000 v1.4.1 / v1.4.2, but when playing DSD with ASIO (Native), the same error occurs and it stops. Although it examined variously, it seems that there is a problem with foobar 2000 itself. The same problem has been reported by many users on the Web. PCM can reproduce up to 24 bits / 768 k without problems.

Top Bottom