• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D10 DAC

nirschl

Quick question for you folks. Is there a way to switch between outputs? Meaning Line Out Analog and COAX? Or can you only use one or the other at the same time?

rvsixer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
They would all output at the same time
I don't think this unit upsamples or downsamples (at least I have not found a way to do that on my D10, nor does the manual indicate such).
So if the output is not in the range of 44.1-192Khz/16-24bit PCM, only analog would output while digital will not.

Last edited:

nirschl

I don't think this unit upsamples or downsamples (at least I have not found a way to do that on my D10, nor does the manual indicate such).
So if the output is not in the range of 44.1-192Khz/16-24bit PCM only, analog would output while digital will not.

That’s what I was thinking. I’ll explain... I’m currently running the D10 in my vehicle. Currently Line Out to headunit and then the other day added the line out COAX to my DSP processor and left the analog outputs plugged in. I could not get any sound via COAX. So this led me to believe that I could not do both switching between two separate sources.
Just means I need to yank the center dash portion again and unhook the analog outputs.

rvsixer

....without a diagram hard to tell, but my guess is a routing/setup not D10 specific issue (assuming you are feeding the D10 the required 44.1-192Khz/16-24bit PCM for spdif to function).

Last edited:

MNMLSM

Hey guys,

I also ordered a new D10, I really like it's minimalist approach and the display.
I have a question referring to WASAPI and ASIO and the fact that I can still change the volume in Windows 10 from 0 to 100, is that normal? I think that was never the case with my previous DACs.

Bitperfect (looking at the display of the D10) works with WASAPI Event and Push and ASIO.
In WASAPI I can change the "output data format" to 8 - 32, In ASIO the box is grey.

I made a couple of screenshots, player is foobar and the DAC is connected via USB.

2020-05-29_104119.png2020-05-29_104158.png2020-05-29_104530.png2020-05-29_104607.png

zoozilla

I posted a while back about an issue where my unit would randomly stop outputting sound (and wouldn't even be recognized by Windows) unless I left it unplugged overnight. Then it would work again until it wouldn't, usually in the middle of listening to music or watching a video.

Well now it seems like it's totally dead, I've left it unplugged for hours and plugged it back in and nothing. There's the little dot on the display so I know it's getting power, but Windows doesn't recognize it as being plugged in so I can't even adjust Windows settings or anything.

I guess my question is - I bought this thing a little over a year ago. If I sent it to Topping, would they repair it and send it back? Would it even be worth it to send it in? I'm almost considering just getting a new DAC if it's gonna cost a decent amount and take forever.

If anyone has experience sending stuff back to Topping, I'd love to hear it.

escape2

Not sure about shipping charges from Japan to China, but shipping from US to China can get pretty expensive. On top of that, if you have to pay for the repairs, since you're out of warranty, then it doesn't make any sense on a DAC that's about $70 new. I'd probably just get something new.

Toku

Major Contributor
I posted a while back about an issue where my unit would randomly stop outputting sound (and wouldn't even be recognized by Windows) unless I left it unplugged overnight. Then it would work again until it wouldn't, usually in the middle of listening to music or watching a video.

Well now it seems like it's totally dead, I've left it unplugged for hours and plugged it back in and nothing. There's the little dot on the display so I know it's getting power, but Windows doesn't recognize it as being plugged in so I can't even adjust Windows settings or anything.

I guess my question is - I bought this thing a little over a year ago. If I sent it to Topping, would they repair it and send it back? Would it even be worth it to send it in? I'm almost considering just getting a new DAC if it's gonna cost a decent amount and take forever.

If anyone has experience sending stuff back to Topping, I'd love to hear it.
The other day, I purchased from China and returned it to China because the SMSL M500 is defective. For the delivery from Japan to China, the Japan Post EMS is the easiest procedure and can be used at low cost.
The shipping cost for the SMSL M500 was $30. I don't think the D10 will change that much. However, at the moment, I think that we have stopped accepting EMS because of the lack of airmail due to COVIC-19. Please check at the post office.
I recommend a new purchase considering the round trip shipping.

pyrexia

Using this out of a Mac mini and getting a bit off buzz when I crank it all the way up with no music. I don’t here it too much at listening levels, but it bothers me that it is not dead quiet. Am I asking too much? Is this just how it is?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Ground loop or leakage current? They're a common problem with unbalanced interconnects, and usually not specific to the DAC but the system as a whole. They're not too hard to find and fix if you follow a systematic approach. Jensen Transformers have detailed instructions among their application notes.

pyrexia

Ground loop or leakage current? They're a common problem with unbalanced interconnects, and usually not specific to the DAC but the system as a whole. They're not too hard to find and fix if you follow a systematic approach. Jensen Transformers have detailed instructions among their application notes.

To be honest, I am not sure. When I run the Eitr to Modi 3 to my headphone amp, it is noticably quieter. Is that due to both being externally powered?

It doesn’t quiet sound like a normal ground issue.

escape2

Using this out of a Mac mini and getting a bit off buzz when I crank it all the way up with no music.
What are you "cranking" up? An external amp? What amp is it? Is the amp dead quiet with other sound sources and just noisy when D10 is used as source?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
To be honest, I am not sure. When I run the Eitr to Modi 3 to my headphone amp, it is noticably quieter. Is that due to both being externally powered?

It doesn’t quiet sound like a normal ground issue.
Is that the exact same system (including cables) changing only the DAC? It's the sort of thing where the details matter.

Misko78

Well my D10 died after 2 years, it just shows the dot and it is not recognized when i plug it in in any computer/different usb port. Does anyone have an idea how to fix it, Topping won't do that form me because i don't have a proof of purchase.

Edit: Hah i see a lot of people around the web have the same problem with D10. I guess this is a common issue so i'll stay away from it in the future.

Last edited:

zenon

Well my D10 died after 2 years, it just shows the dot and it is not recognized when i plug it in in any computer/different usb port. Does anyone have an idea how to fix it, Topping won't do that form me because i don't have a proof of purchase.

Edit: Hah i see a lot of people around the web have the same problem with D10. I guess this is a common issue so i'll stay away from it in the future.

You can measure voltages of LDOs (3.3V) + point with marking "1V".

Misko78

You can measure voltages of LDOs (3.3V) + point with marking "1V".

Thanks братко, but my level of diagnosing failures in these kind of problems is very low. I'm kind of monkey here, very skilled in soldering and i can fix it if i see the picture and have instructions :D

zenon

Thanks братко, but my level of diagnosing failures in these kind of problems is very low. I'm kind of monkey here, very skilled in soldering and i can fix it if i see the picture and have instructions :D
:D
This is the picture, with some start points to measure power supply. This is a first step, а second step is to measure oscillators and so on...

_DSC2349A_resize.jpg

Keep me posted!
Wish You luck, братко!

Top Bottom