• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D10 DAC

zenon

How about to cut off a completely analog part and insert your own ?

Like lampizator - Amber DAC

The same DAC chip ES9018K2M uses....

Just finished linear power supply (external 5V + external +/-8V) + volume control (line out) + (to do) headphone amplifier. All in one box.
I'm waiting for 1612 to change OPAs in I/V converter, and yes, I'm thinking about new analog part, but maybe in some later stage.
(Power supply&mods).
IMG_20181222_132727_1_resize.jpg

Last edited:

L5730

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Ah, ha!
I actually managed to hear the change of pitch noise when the screen goes from bright to dim.
I had to crank a powered monitor to a level I would never use for music playback - like really painful loud if I was playing music.
I had my ear right up to the speaker and it sounded pretty much the same type of sound as I recorded through the onboard ADC from the D10.

So, in my case at least there is a noise, and it's repeatable. However, it is well below any meaningful level to disrupt music playback and is inaudible at normal amplification levels.

This also might have something to do with where I have the DAC placed - on top of the PC tower, a cheapy RCA pair coming out, going to a F-F RCA coupling, into 4m of unbalanced cable with RCAs on the end, into RCA>XLR adaptors. 4m of unbalanced cable in a coil on top of the PC tower.
I am kind of asking for noise here.
Saying that, the connection to ADC was with RCA > 3.5mm TRS, no long unbalanced cable. Hmm.

Not amazingly fussed, it sounds great playing music and was cheap and looks great.

D

Deleted member 2944

How about to cut off a completely analog part and insert your own ?

Like lampizator - Amber DAC

The same DAC chip ES9018K2M uses....
Good golly, no. What an abortion that would be.
The D10 is a perfectly fine unit as-is. It doesn't need modification. If a users objective is something different, start with a different platform.

Dave.

Misko78

I bought D10 yesterday but i'm having a problem with it picking up noise from mouse movements, or pressing a button on a screen. I have to adjust volume high on my preamp to pick it up but i can hear it. I've changed the USB cabe with some high quality one with ferrite cores on both ends. Any ideas?

My system is:
Sony TTS4000 turntable
Classe 5 preamp
Crescendo amp
JBL 4311 speakers.
For FLACS i use PC + D10

L5730

@Misko78 Yep, same here.
In normal use for me, this is never an issue be because the noise is so low down that I can't hear it. I turned small PC speakers up to max. and couldn't hear anything, but turning up active monitors to around 2 o'clock volume, some noise was audible.
The mouse movement noise sounds like high pitched scratching kinda thing.

I think it's a nuisance fact of dirty USB ports and isn't going to be unless we can get clean power to the DAC.

Rollingsound514

Forum Donor
Wait, wait, did we just make a use case for the Schiit Wyrd? ... I don't believe it. Maybe just an Amazon powered USB hub would do the trick too but...

L5730

I'm using an ASRock X370 Taichi motherboard, and have tried different USB ports as well as the Dell monitor USB ports (linked to PC at rear) all have about the same noise.
The Raspberry Pi 3B had less noise, and of course no mouse noise when running Volumio.

I'm going to see what is around (cheap) to clean up the USB. No point spending too much money as the DAC itself is budget - it defeats the point.

HAL9000

Just finished linear power supply (external 5V + external +/-8V) + volume control (line out) + (to do) headphone amplifier. All in one box.
I'm waiting for 1612 to change OPAs in I/V converter, and yes, I'm thinking about new analog part, but maybe in some later stage.
(Power supply&mods).
View attachment 19240

In I/V stage:
- MUSES8920 is very balanced and could be used in I/V stages without worries, because this is what this OPAMP has been made for. Sound is neutral and balanced with good sound-stage.
- MUSES01 is definitely the most impressive of the bunch. Outclasses all the OPAMPs I have ever heard including 1612 ......

zenon

In I/V stage:
- MUSES8920 is very balanced and could be used in I/V stages without worries, because this is what this OPAMP has been made for. Sound is neutral and balanced with good sound-stage.
- MUSES01 is definitely the most impressive of the bunch. Outclasses all the OPAMPs I have ever heard including 1612 ......
I am thinking about tubes, triods infact. But first I need to resolve a little problem with Sabre 2M service tool to change some register values in ES9018K2M (to enable THD compensation & some other things).
About MUSE - I am not shure... slow for I/V stage (11MHz). May by better is lm4562 - Hi Gain Bandwidth & Slew Rate + good current output (+/- 26mA).

Happy New Year!

L5730

Yeah, that did the trick, spliced the cables and bought cheap 3A USB charger for now, i will make a decent 5V power supply as next step. There is absolutly no noise now.
That's really good to know!
I used an old USB cable I salvaged from a generic webcam and a short 6 inch USB extension lead. Wired as described, and whilst it works, it didn't clear the low level noise I have. Admittedly I don't have a purely independent power supply yet, hooked up to monitor hub and got same noise as connected to PC.

what charger are you using, if you don't mind me asking?

nirschl

@amirm

With this unit being USB powered, would it also turn on connected directly to say and iPad Pro using a lightning/USB camera connection kit? I’m thinking to incorporate this in to my car system actually. RCA Line Out to AUX on my head unit and USB from my iPad Pro.

Thanks for the great review by the way!

SiW

@amirm

With this unit being USB powered, would it also turn on connected directly to say and iPad Pro using a lightning/USB camera connection kit? I’m thinking to incorporate this in to my car system actually. RCA Line Out to AUX on my head unit and USB from my iPad Pro.

Thanks for the great review by the way!

That’s how I run it with my iPhone :)

Just need Onkyo HF player or Vox player to be able to play HD tracks and set the sample rate / upsampling mode rather than iTunes limiting it to 48kHz.

nirschl

That’s how I run it with my iPhone :)

Just need Onkyo HF player or Vox player to be able to play HD tracks and set the sample rate / upsampling mode rather than iTunes limiting it to 48kHz.
Awesome! Really appreciate the confirmation.

artnoi

Today I noticed small amount of static noise while plugging in my Etymotic ER4SR into my turned-off O2 (connected to turned-on D1)

The noise will go away once I touch the case of either the O2 and D10, and will immediately come back after left untouched.

The noise goes away after the O2 is turned ON, or when the D10 is OFF, or when both are OFF.

I have no knowledge of electricity and stuffs, so may I ask how do I tackle this static noise problem.

I apologize in advance if the question is a bit dumb or was previously answered, I know nothing so I didn't know what keywords to search for in this thread.

edited: The problem persists even when I unplugged the O2 from the wall.
I have no idea whether this will affect audio fidelity during playback even though the problem is gone when the O2 is ON

Last edited:

SiW

Sounds like a ground loop between the usb device the D10 is plugged into and the amp power supply.

Could be poor interconnects too - had this myself yesterday whilst testing some stuff using my D10.

artnoi

Sounds like a ground loop between the usb device the D10 is plugged into and the amp power supply.

Could be poor interconnects too - had this myself yesterday whilst testing some stuff using my D10.
I unplugged my O2 from the wall and the problem still persists. Or is it the problem with my notebook computer?

Top Bottom