• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D10 DAC

L5730

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's a sensible enough thing to want to do.
Why keep something linked to the power cycles of something else, when the first item is not needed for 1/10th of the times the other is turned on.

It'd be nice to have a power switch on the D10, and I am not sure if just splicing one into the +5v is OK or not a good idea. It has been discussed here that the use of a powered hub could do the same task, but it's more things to buy.

ngs428

It's a sensible enough thing to want to do.
Why keep something linked to the power cycles of something else, when the first item is not needed for 1/10th of the times the other is turned on.

It'd be nice to have a power switch on the D10, and I am not sure if just splicing one into the +5v is OK or not a good idea. It has been discussed here that the use of a powered hub could do the same task, but it's more things to buy.

Thanks for the constructive reply. I will look into that. Not a huge concern, but something I will look at.

Jkdjedi

So much for "be ready to be teased" like the top of the website says... :D Anyways... hope it wasn't too bad.. :D

Jkdjedi

Been comparing the Topping D10 to the SCHIIT EITR today.

WIndows 10 PC/Tidal/ToppingD10vsSchiitEITR/Audio-GD11.28/HD6XX

Not declaring a winner, music and sound is subjective, but hoping my notes can shed some light, or not, ;)

Round 1 So What-Miles Davis

Listening w/ Topping D10

NOTES: Sounds good..gonna give it 5 minutes before trying out the SCHIIT (Leaving volume same to compare)

Listening w/ SCHIIT EITR

NOTES: Celo sound more musical and deeper wow....intruments sound cleaner..no contest. Enjoying this track more with the SCHIIT

Round 2 Mystery-Miles Davis

Listening w/ Schiit EITR

NOTES: Sounds good, recording isn't great but sounds good, curious how this will sound on the D10 now..

Listening w/ Topping D10

NOTES: Wow...no diffrences... sounds the same.. whats going on here?

Round 3 Nonstop-Drake

Listening w/ Topping D10

NOTES: Head bobbing to this track, Drake is cool. HAd to turn volume down a bit..loud recording.. ;D Now how will the Schiit sound??

Listening w/ Schiit EITR

NOTES: DAaaaaammmmMM Bass deeper, voice more real and up front... whats going on?.. not touching the volume control it seems a few decibals louder.. interesting.
Seems like good recrdings make a diffrence with the Schiit.

Round 4 Creep-Radiohead

Listening w/Schiit EITR

NOTES: Silky smooth vocal.. Thom Yorkes best track ever? Those cymbols! SHE"s...Running Out the DooOOor....RUN>. RUN... RUuUUuuUUuun!!!

Listening w/Topping D10

NOTES: This is so freakn weird... SOUNDS THE SAME!! I'm not picking another tie..should I?? gonna give the Schiit another listen...

Side Note: This one is to close to call.. wow..

Round 5 Suspirium-Thom Yorke

Listening w/Topping D10

NOTES: That piano and voice.. nice harmony. (Yeah I'm a fan)

Listening w/ Schiit EITR

NOTES: Seems like the voice is more centered and isolated but not really much diferences here. One more listen with these two...I like this track a lot...so why not..

Maybe a slight less echo of the voice with the Schiit..thats what i"m getting. Man...by a red hair this goes to the SCHIIT.

ROUND 6 Crisis (Kaya 40 Mix)- Bob Marley & The Wailers

Listening w/ SCHIIT

Notes: Giving Jah All the Thanks and Praises!! At the 2 minute mark is where I'm testing for diferences..

Listening w/ Topping D10

Notes: I'm not hearing anything that stands out diffrent from the two.

Quick question:
And Kudos to Amir for taking the time for all of this. It's truly appreciated!
Just ordered a D10 through Amazon yesterday for $76. Currently have a Schiit Modi 1 (the oldest version).

Quick overview of my stack (2 possible signal paths):
1) PC --> D10 (Sdif out) -->MiniDSP 4x10HD (active crossover) --> Emotiva 8 channel amp
2) PC --> D10 (L/R analog out) --> Emotiva XSP-1 (balanced XLR out) --> MiniDSP 4x10HD --> Emotiva 8 channel amp

The thought here is that most of the time I will be using the digital SPIDF input on the MiniDSP unit and not using my Emotiva Pre-amp. But the problem here (at this point) is that I do not have a headphone amp. So I'll only be able to listen to the system via the speakers, which is fine most of the time.
The #2 path would end up giving me 2 D/A conversions (one in the D10, and one in the MiniDSP) but would allow use of the headphone amp in the Emotiva Pre-amp.

Does this sound like it would work? I would think that the D10 over the Modi1 should be a decent improvement.
I'm also worried that I won't be using my XSP-1 very much, except for when I am listening to vinyl.
What do you guys think?

L5730

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@Mr. Electric Wizard I would have thought that you could use both the RCA analogue line out and the digital S/PDIF simultaneously.
So, I guess you could run digital to the MiniDSP and then on to the amp, whilst running RCA analogue to the XSP-1 for headphones?

That's what I was hoping to do! Makes for a fairly flexible set up.
Now, I just need to research drivers and see if I need to install any of the Topping drivers on my Windows 10 box.
Thanks for the replies guys.

Krunok

Major Contributor
That's what I was hoping to do! Makes for a fairly flexible set up.
Now, I just need to research drivers and see if I need to install any of the Topping drivers on my Windows 10 box.
Thanks for the replies guys.

If you want to use ASIO you must install drivers from Topping website. WASAPI should work by itself.

I'm a little behind on the computer audio drivers, which is ironic because I've been a LMS (SqueezePlay) user for years.
Can you give a quick note on what the difference is between the two? I'm guessing ASIO opens up the Hi Rez functionality?

Krunok

Major Contributor
I'm a little behind on the computer audio drivers, which is ironic because I've been a LMS (SqueezePlay) user for years.
Can you give a quick note on what the difference is between the two? I'm guessing ASIO opens up the Hi Rez functionality?

They have the same functionality when listening to stereo music, so just go with WASAPI as it doesn't require any installation. Use it in "exclusive" mode and you will get "bit perfect" reporoduction.

Like this?
(24 bit, 96000 (studio quality) is the highest setting.
wasapi.JPG
:

Veri

Master Contributor
@Mr. Electric Wizard you need to use an application (foobar2000, jriver, ...) that has an option for WASAPI output. It's application specific not system wide.

I mostly listen to stereo music with SqueezePlay.
Actual music files are on a NAS on the local network.
I did download JRiver a few days ago and I don't like the interface nearly as much as just using the "IPeng" app on my phone to control my LMS server and play the music via SqueezePlay on my PC (on the same network).
Am I missing out on anything? No idea.

Although, it does look like SqueezePlay does allow for changing the output devices:
1543268011489.png

Krunok

Major Contributor
I mostly listen to stereo music with SqueezePlay.
Actual music files are on a NAS on the local network.
I did download JRiver a few days ago and I don't like the interface nearly as much as just using the "IPeng" app on my phone to control my LMS server and play the music via SqueezePlay on my PC (on the same network).
Am I missing out on anything? No idea.

Although, it does look like SqueezePlay does allow for changing the output devices:
View attachment 18081

Number 9 seems like the right choice so give it a try.

I'm able to start it with the "direct sound" driver but not WASPI (#9). Is WASAPI built into windows or is it something you have to download?
Or do you have to enable it in Windows 10 somewhere?

Top Bottom