• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D10 DAC

Nesty

I just ordered D10 during the 11.11 sale, what desktop amplifier to match it do you guys recommend? thanks

So I just got my d10 and I also have the magni 2u and powered speakers, my question is what should the volume outputs be on the 3 systems? The d10 I can't adjust so I don't have to worry about that. However, should I set my PC to output 100 and set both the Magni to low and speaker to low? At about what level should the headphone amp output to the powered speakers? Also I installed the drivers for the d10 and it caused it not to work, however, the default drivers work just fine, is this normal?

Apparently I had to close all apps for the drivers to install...so I did that and downloaded the firmware update because the dac wasn't starting up from my PC being in sleep. The drivers and firmware fixed my problems! However, the d10 doesn't completely shut off during sleep. It will just say "192 PCM" then "---" then it will get dimmer but still say "---" then it just says one "." Is the screen supposed to turn all the way off? Or is it supposed to have that one period there?

Jorj

Forum Donor
Apparently I had to close all apps for the drivers to install...so I did that and downloaded the firmware update because the dac wasn't starting up from my PC being in sleep. The drivers and firmware fixed my problems! However, the d10 doesn't completely shut off during sleep. It will just say "192 PCM" then "---" then it will get dimmer but still say "---" then it just says one "." Is the screen supposed to turn all the way off? Or is it supposed to have that one period there?

That is what mine does. Even if the PC is asleep, the last-used sampling rate shows. Also, even with the PC off, my Dell TB16 provides enough power to keep the lowest character segments lit up, like a series of underscores.

AresHarvest

Hmm. So mine behaves properly, or at least what I believe to be properly:

• Connected and computer is booting (from off state) - momentarily shows last sample rate and encoding, then shows three dashes until Windows loads, then shows set sample rate and encoding when windows has loaded.
  • Connected and operational - shows sample rate and source encoding. Dims until change.
  • Connected and computer asleep - shows three dashes. Dims after approx 10 seconds.

Now it's possible that you have some USB power-while-off setting enabled in BIOS. That could "trick" the device into thinking it's still operational.

Jorj

Forum Donor
Now it's possible that you have some USB power-while-off setting enabled in BIOS. That could "trick" the device into thinking it's still operational.

Actually, the TB16 is the Dell Thunderbolt dock. It behaves similarly to a powered USB hub when the PC is off. Enough juice to power the device, but no data and no handshake.

Since the new driver update the balance setting is gone...
Capture.PNG

L5730

Addicted to Fun and Learning
^ Do you actually use the balance control in the Windows settings?

I use Foobar2000 to play music and typically use the foo_dsd_asio output driver. I have no reason to use a balance control at all.
If I am editing in Reaper, I can use the internal (64FP bit) controls of the DAW.

I'll say that I think I prefer the sound of the volume control in software (Fb2k or reaper) over the volume control in the Topping driver (or Windows volume), which I think adjusts the ESS chip directly. I haven't performed any measurements, and so I am well aware I may just be imagining it, but what I feel that I hear is some kind of loss of body when using the Topping volume control.
I am not fussed at all, because adjusting the volume control at all stops DSD playing natively anyway, and I have no issue with the global-key-controlled volume in Foobar2000, so a moot issue if it is an issue at all.

Additionally: For anyone who cares.
TASCAM/Teac have a free program called "Hi-Res editor". It allows transcoding DSD <> PCM as well as playing back to the Topping DAC and transcoding on-the-fly or playing back native format.
KORG Audiogate also works with the Topping DAC but because it's the Lite version is limited in a lot of ways.

If anyone fancies comparing their PCM tracks played as DSD, they can transcode using the TASCAM program and give it a try. Without an extensive test, I don't think there is a massive difference, and what difference there is I'd probably attribute to rounding errors and whatnot. Others might experience different results.

Last edited:

bennetng

Major Contributor
I'll say that I think I prefer the sound of the volume control in software (Fb2k or reaper) over the volume control in the Topping driver (or Windows volume), which I think adjusts the ESS chip directly. I haven't performed any measurements, and so I am well aware I may just be imagining it, but what I feel that I hear is some kind of loss of body when using the Topping volume control.
You can try my volume control test file here.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...lity-in-windows-using-wasapi.5272/post-116878

L5730

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Re: Raspberry Pi and Volumio.
I can't recall if anyone has mentioned this before, but the D10 seems to be completely compatible with a RPi 3B.
Foobar2000 could even stream DSD to it, although I think it needed being set to DoP in the Volumio Device settings.

I did get some clicks and pops that I didn't like, and I'd need spend more time on ironing those out. Pretty cool though.
I did also have a voltage warning (looking at RPi/Volumio output from HDMI), as we know it's meant to be headless, but I needed setup static IP and some other stuff so left the HDMI connected to a TV - could also monitor CPU temp of the Pi.

@bennetng I'm not sure what that test is for. Looks a rather strange waveform.

bennetng

Major Contributor
I'm not sure what that test is for. Looks a rather strange waveform.
To check whether the whole signal chain and volume controls within the signal chain are fully compatible with floating point data or not. The software (foobar/Reaper) themselves are capable of floating point data, but the rest of the signal chain can also be checked with my files.

Please read other posts in that thread as well.

Jkdjedi

Thanks for the review or discussion, I currently have the Schiit EITR and that did wonders to boost the bass off my HD6xx cans. Playing off Tidal/PC/Shiit EITR/ iFi Black Label. Would/can the Toping d10 do the same or better?

ngs428

I am looking at the D10 vs D30. Am I correct in thinking that the D10 will power on each time my PC wakes from sleep? I have a windows 10 pc.

Maybe 1 out of 25 times my pc powers on I will actually use the DAC.

Jkdjedi

I am looking at the D10 vs D30. Am I correct in thinking that the D10 will power on each time my PC wakes from sleep? I have a windows 10 pc.

Maybe 1 out of 25 times my pc powers on I will actually use the DAC.
If that were true I wouldn't let that keep you up all night, your home air conditioner constantly running with $400 monthly bill...now that is something to be up all night over, just saying.

ngs428

If that were true I wouldn't let that keep you up all night, your home air conditioner constantly running with $400 monthly bill...now that is something to be up all night over, just saying.

I am not worried about power consumption, just the continual switching on and off when I don’t need it.

Top Bottom