• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D10 DAC

AresHarvest

I already orded a ECM8000 mic to be sure :).

Which is, surprisingly, a very accurate mic. The Behringer name comes with a lot of stigma, but I've directly compared the $90 ECM-8000 to a DPA 4007, which is discontinued now, but sold for $2500. Source-independent measuring shows the frequency response and phase response to be practically identical, with the Behringer being more sensitive by 19 dB (which also means the DPA has a much higher max SPL, which partially explains the price difference)

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Which is, surprisingly, a very accurate mic. The Behringer name comes with a lot of stigma, but I've directly compared the $90 ECM-8000 to a DPA 4007, which is discontinued now, but sold for $2500. Source-independent measuring shows the frequency response and phase response to be practically identical, with the Behringer being more sensitive by 19 dB (which also means the DPA has a much higher max SPL, which partially explains the price difference)

Quality is not Behringer strongest point. But the mic is doing great. I orderd it for only 29,- euro's at Baxshop thats a bargain.
https://www.bax-shop.nl/meetmicrofoons/behringer-ecm8000-condensator-meetmicrofoon

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Could get hold of a Sonarworks measuring mic. Looks quite similar with a ECM8000.
Output D10 mic input Xone 4D (Phantom) powerd by Yamaha MG10102C.
The result is that with the Sonarworks mic you get around 250 hz +5 db (don't know if this has todo with a slight higher level out put or quality of the mic) but this makes a big difference in listning experience. Be aware the position of the Sonarworks mic is fixed on video tripod an placed vertical in free air. The laptop mic hold with hand and does not have the possibility to stand vertical but creates rather reflections from the screen panel horizontal. I can recommend to try this. Huge difference in listning experience (atleast for me).

Laptop mic.
HahsEXJ.png

Sonarworks mic. (the correct one)
mnnSFfs.png

Last edited:

Zek

Major Contributor
What these charts represent - the response of your listening room?:rolleyes:

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What these charts represent - the response of your listening room?:rolleyes:
Yes room correction software added to Foobar2000 changed my sound considerbly. Not a question of nuances but big way. So the difference between my reference cd player an the D10 is let say <5% roomcorrection around >50% (in my room).

Last edited:

SiW

Could you remind me which digital output measured the best - coax or optical?

Mine just arrived :)

Simon

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Could you remind me which digital output measured the best - coax or optical?

Mine just arrived :)

Simon
I don't use both of them (if you refer to the roomcorretion measurments). I use the analog output.

SiW

Apologies I meant the outputs if connecting to another DAC and just using the D10 as a usb to digital converter.

Simon

SiW

Dumb question alert.

I can set the sampling rate in OSX for the D10 but how is this done on the iPhone?

I can use VOX and Onkyo player apps for playback.

Is it auto setting based on the format of the music being played?

Cheers!

Simon

SiW

Dumb question alert.

I can set the sampling rate in OSX for the D10 but how is this done on the iPhone?

I can use VOX and Onkyo player apps for playback.

Is it auto setting based on the format of the music being played?

Cheers!

Simon

Answering my own question - works fine in both players to either match or upsample.

Am finding Onkyo app easier to use compared to VOX.

Just using the D10 with a Fiio A3 amp and middle range RHA buds sounds great on the HD Tracks sampler.

Simon

Biblob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thank you for the information! This has led me to do some more testing.
So indeed it is caused by current coming into the RCA outputs, not the USB (my bad! I'll edit my previous post to reflect this).

I tried 3 cases with video:

Case 1: I turn off the receiver (off-screen) with the D10 output connected to the receiver. It clicks.
https://streamable.com/yj6hr
Case 2: I turn off the receiver (off-screen) with the D10 output connected to a turned off O2. It clicks. Notice how I don't even touch the O2.
https://streamable.com/18hc1
Case 3: I turn off the receiver (off-screen) with the D10 output not connected. Nothing happens.
https://streamable.com/xi92f

Case 1 is most possibly caused by current coming from the receiver, but Case 2 is funky because I guess the current from the receiver is getting into the O2 through the wall socket somehow and coming into the D10 output, making the relay click.

I don't know if it could damage the D10 (it doesn't lock up, it's just the relay and screen that lights up) but for now I'm disconnecting the RCA before turning off anything just in case.

Well crap... Have used the D10 for months wihout a problem. Untill tonight...
I am using it in combination with a JDS O2 amp. And tonight I turned of the power brick the O2 was connected to, while being connected to the D10 via the RCA output.

And now whenever I plug the RCA cables in the D10 the relays start randomly clicking. I read that the O2 shouldn't be pulled out of AC, but I had the thing turned off!

I updated it to firmware 1.02, that should have resolved these problems? But this doesn't help either.
I can't find a solution for this on this thread. Or isn't there a solution for this and am I now stuck with a non functioning D10+O2 combo? :(

Timbo2

Well crap... Have used the D10 for months wihout a problem. Untill tonight...
I am using it in combination with a JDS O2 amp. And tonight I turned of the power brick the O2 was connected to, while being connected to the D10 via the RCA output.

And now whenever I plug the RCA cables in the D10 the relays start randomly clicking. I read that the O2 shouldn't be pulled out of AC, but I had the thing turned off!

I updated it to firmware 1.02, that should have resolved these problems? But this doesn't help either.
I can't find a solution for this on this thread. Or isn't there a solution for this and am I now stuck with a non functioning D10+O2 combo? :(
Do you have another patch cable you can try? Perhaps there is a short or poor connection in it.

Biblob

Yes. My D10 is quite sensitive to any grounding issues even with the updated firmware.

Nope, it doesn't make a difference :confused:.
Are there other possible solutions/problems?

Edit: changing from a different power grid seemed to help for a second, untill the O2 turned on, then the clicking continued

Last edited:

Timbo2

Nope, it doesn't make a difference :confused:.
Are there other possible solutions/problems?

The USB cord that comes with the D10 is pretty much junk. I was able to cycle the device simply by shaking the cable. With a better quality replacement cable that issue went away. So if you have a spare USB I'd try that too.

After that I'm out of suggestions. It's possible the D10 itself may have an issue.

Biblob

The USB cord that comes with the D10 is pretty much junk. I was able to cycle the device simply by shaking the cable. With a better quality replacement cable that issue went away. So if you have a spare USB I'd try that too.

After that I'm out of suggestions. It's possible the D10 itself may have an issue.

Wow. this actually solved the problem! It works again!
How can a USB cable be so bad?!
Many thanks.

The soundstage is so amasing now. All the instruments are so much more refined now.
Next up for an upgrade: https://www.audioquest.com/cables/digital-cables/usb-a-to-b/diamond
:p:p

SiW

Noob question - how do I check the firmware version on the D10?

What were the changes implemented?

Cheers,

Simon

Biblob

Noob question - how do I check the firmware version on the D10?

What were the changes implemented?

Cheers,

Simon
If you have the Topping Drivers installed, you can check by them by clicking on the pictogram and then the tab 'Info'.
The changes were related to the D10 freezing after a PC/laptop would go into sleep mode whereafter the D10 wouldn't start (if I remember correctly).
Other freezes and glitches were helped.

SiW

No drivers as using a Mac.

Guess I’ll need to plug into a Windows machine.

Simon

Top Bottom