• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D10 DAC

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

Krunok

Major Contributor

Arnold Krueger

@Arnold Krueger Can you please help me understand what happens with the 16dB gain and the output voltage when I connect 2V source (like CD player or D10) to the line input of my RSP 1066?

The attenuators do their job and make the excess gain go away until you need it for level mathing some speaker, etc.

Krunok

Major Contributor
The attenuators do their job and make the excess gain go away until you need it for level mathing some speaker, etc.

I expected that to be the case, but frankly I don't know where are they? In the input stage of the amplifier or within that 16dB gain box of the output stage of the preamp?

Arnold Krueger

I expected that to be the case, but frankly I don't know where are they? In the input stage of the amplifier or within that 16dB gain box of the output stage of the preamp?
They are in the digital logic that controls the attenuator. Only one physical attenuator is needed if its digital control takes everything into account.

Krunok

Major Contributor
They are in the digital logic that controls the attenuator. Only one physical attenuator is needed if its digital control takes everything into account.

Are you saying that TC9459F is taking care of the attenuation?

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was using this for a while and it worked excellent. It's based on XMOS XU208 chip and works with Singxer drivers. If you don't need D/A to be performed it should do well and it's cheaper than the devices with D/A converter.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/XMOS-XU208...515693&hash=item1c9a5ad84f:g:A5UAAOSwmwtaKTNE

This looks interesting. Thanks for the link.

A question from an absolute noob when it comes to these technical thingies, though. What other things do I need to get this to work? An enclosure, I guess? Any suggestions for something that might fit? And do I need a power supply, or does it get power from the usb?

Krunok

Major Contributor
This looks interesting. Thanks for the link.

A question from an absolute noob when it comes to these technical thingies, though. What other things do I need to get this to work? An enclosure, I guess? Any suggestions for something that might fit? And do I need a power supply, or does it get power from the usb?

It has some kind of semi-enclosure, take a look at the right most picture. Yes, it takes power from the USB port, so you need only the cables.

Arnold Krueger

Are you saying that TC9459F is taking care of the attenuation?

Yes. I looked up the spec sheet and the TC9459F is pretty good. These are analog attenuators and still relied on because most AVRs and surround controllers have a pure analog mode. Since they are analog they are exposed to all of the failings of the analog domain such as frequency response, phase shift, noise, nonlinear distortion, and spurious signals. In fact they can be made to perform quite well, just not quite as good as a middling high-performance audio op-amp. They may introduce some channel imbalance.

Its largest practical fault IMO is the step size. I prefer 0.5 dB steps.

However, we now see one advantage of digital controls. By reducing the required attenuation to one number, we need only put one attenuator into the signal chain, no matter how many different adjustment sources we wish to have.

The DSP manufacturers would prefer that the industry abandon these parts and rely on purely digital attenuation, but there appears to be a lack of will to move forward, as a (back up?) analog signal path is a feature that does not seem to want to die!

Krunok

Major Contributor
Did a bit of searching. This comes with a box, and has both toslink and coaxial out. Any differences between this and the the other one? https://www.ebay.com/itm/XMOS-U8-CH...954230&hash=item1ed56a8b4f:g:ricAAOSwEeFVESBG

This one uses U8 which is previous generation of the XMOS chip. The one I sent you uses XU208 chip, the same that is used in D10, DX7s etc. The one you posted doesn't have temperature shields for the crystals and has lower quality capacitors so I suggest you stick to the one I posted.

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This one uses U8 which is previous generation of the XMOS chip. The one I sent you uses XU208 chip, the same that is used in D10, DX7s etc. The one you posted doesn't have temperature shields for the crystals and has lower quality capacitors so I suggest you stick to the one I posted.

Ok, good to know. Thanks again.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Yes. I looked up the spec sheet and the TC9459F is pretty good. These are analog attenuators and still relied on because most AVRs and surround controllers have a pure analog mode. Since they are analog they are exposed to all of the failings of the analog domain such as frequency response, phase shift, noise, nonlinear distortion, and spurious signals. In fact they can be made to perform quite well, just not quite as good as a middling high-performance audio op-amp. They may introduce some channel imbalance.

Its largest practical fault IMO is the step size. I prefer 0.5 dB steps.

However, we now see one advantage of digital controls. By reducing the required attenuation to one number, we need only put one attenuator into the signal chain, no matter how many different adjustment sources we wish to have.

The DSP manufacturers would prefer that the industry abandon these parts and rely on purely digital attenuation, but there appears to be a lack of will to move forward, as a (back up?) analog signal path is a feature that does not seem to want to die!

Ok, I understand now, thank you! Btw, 1 dB step works fine for me, I never really wished for a finer step.

So you think I can safely use my RSP 1066 as a volume control for D10 to drive some decent amp/speakers combo?

SchwarzeWolke

Forum Donor
Just a heads up for anyone thinking of ordering one of these from AliExpress: Avoid seller HIFI College Store aka SHILANG XIE. A couple of weeks after ordering this, this seller claimed that Aliexpress shipping had returned the package to him, siting logistics reasons. Obviously this stuff happens, so I just said 'fine, refund me' and the seller seemed fine with this, but said I would have to apply for refund via Aliexpress. Here's where it got weird; the seller then extended the shipping time to July'18 (I ordered with express shipping 7-15days), and Aliexpress won't even look into the protection refund until this expires, and the seller has stopped responding to messages. I ordered another one via Audiophonics in France; great service.
Well, couldn't resist and ordered from them during the Anniversary Sale a Topping D10 and a SMSL IDEA for whopping 137$ all in all. I even got lucky and customs didn't care about this little package. So for around 110€ I got both items which woul have cost me around 170€. Delivery was really fast, faster than expected. I did not order the O2Objective yet, thought that the delivery would take ages...:D
In the meantime, I used a RCA-3,5Jack cable and used my small Fiio A1 to just check if the D10 works. It does and with my really noisy laptop setup, there was no hiss anymore. I really have problems with hiss when using the Dragonfly Black, marginally less problems with the iDSD LE from ifi and now no problems with the SMSL IDEA and the Topping D10.

Morphine

Hi guys, I need a little help.
I have the D10 for a week and everything worked perfect, but today, suddenly, it stopped ringing ...
the screen is fine and it reads any kind of file, but it does not emit any sound ...
Anyone know what might be happening?

Musical Fidelity dac work fine.

Morphine

Well, after turning off the PC and connecting the D10 again, it worked.

I have microcuts in the usb connection, this with the Musical Fidelity was a few seconds of cut, but then the music continues to sound.
my theory is that with the D10 when I have a microcut, it simply stops ringing until I restart the pc. I can not find another explanation ...

thanks for your answer amirm

Top Bottom