• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping A30 and Schiit Magni 3 Headphone Amps

Veri

Master Contributor
Hi,

Complete ‘noob’ question but... I was just about to pull the trigger on the Audio GD R2R until I saw some of the reviews on here. Now, I’m thinking just maybe get the Modi3 & Magni3 as a combo - I am using a 2015 MacBook Pro with (currently) an AudioEngine D1 and Adam Audio A5X’s (looking to add the Sub 7 Subwoofer) - I’m looking to spend around £250-£300 and only use the monitors for audio mix for videography and Spotify - so the question is - Schiit or Audio GD? Or a better alternative?

Thanks in advance ;)
Topping DX3 is really popular as all in one device here for good reason. Another would be Atom + a DAC.
I'm not a fan of the magni3, several people here have mentioned audible distortion over 75% volume with it.

JJ2106

Topping DX3 is really popular as all in one device here for good reason. Another would be Atom + a DAC.
I'm not a fan of the magni3, several people here have mentioned audible distortion over 75% volume with it.
This is true. I think, however, that the Magni 3 suffers from its very high gain (x7).
Given a standard 2 V input, this corresponds to 327 mW of power into 600 Ohm.
For reference, my favourite Beyerdynamics support a maximum of 100 mW for a 116 dB SPL level.
I doubt many users need to set the volume over 75% - unless they are already deaf.

niof

Hi folks! I have a Schiit Magni 3, and I am really interested with the THX AAA 789 amplifier. My source is a Dell laptop and an Audioprobe Spartan A USB interface. I use these with a Sennheiser HD650. I'm not 100% sure it's worth to step it up to the 789. How much improvement would it be in this setup? (Sound signature, soundstage, clarity, details etc...) Basically I am satisfied with the sound what I get. What do you think about this? Thanks for the answers!

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Hi folks! I have a Schiit Magni 3, and I am really interested with the THX AAA 789 amplifier. My source is a Dell laptop and an Audioprobe Spartan A USB interface. I use these with a Sennheiser HD650. I'm not 100% sure it's worth to step it up to the 789. How much improvement would it be in this setup? (Sound signature, soundstage, clarity, details etc...) Basically I am satisfied with the sound what I get. What do you think about this? Thanks for the answers!
The magni 3 has sharper highs. Otherwise I don't think there would be much of a difference.
You should look into the JDS Atom or Topping A30 (although the Atom is better for less money) with your HD 650s.

niof

The magni 3 has sharper highs. Otherwise I don't think there would be much of a difference.
You should look into the JDS Atom or Topping A30 (although the Atom is better for less money) with your HD 650s.

Thank you! I think I don't change it, if the difference is not "huge". Maybe a better DAC needed, to can get more out of it.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Dana reed

With something as easy to drive as the HD650, you probably wouldn't notice much difference. The THX is certainly more versatile, since the Magni struggles with really high sensitivity IEMS and the like, since even in low gain, you have to often turn down the pot to the point there is noticeable channel imbalance. The THX, or any amp with a larger pot and more versatile gain (Jotunheim, etc) will be able to serve a wider range of transducers.
My HD600 aren't really picky across DX7s, Jotunheim, Magni3, THX AAA 789, etc

tiggers

Now I have to look at the DX3, too? LOL. I just got a nice pair of headphones (Sennheiser 58x), and have found myself tumbling down the rabbit hole of getting better performance out of a desktop setup. I saw the Schiit Magni 3 for a good price on Amazon, and was considering paring it with the D30... until I saw the discount on the A30/D30/Topping mini-shelf ($209).

Now I am seeing good things about the DX3, which not only combines two larger A30/D30 units, but has newer technology like Bluetooth (wish it had Kleer so its compatible with my wireless Sennheisers). Only good thing is that there is no BlackFriday deal deadline breathing down on my neck to make a decision on (other than the Magni3). I'm thinking it could also pair nicely with the Monsoon Planar setereo desktop speaker/sub I have collecting dust in the garage.

Veri

Master Contributor
Now I have to look at the DX3, too? LOL. I just got a nice pair of headphones (Sennheiser 58x), and have found myself tumbling down the rabbit hole of getting better performance out of a desktop setup. I saw the Schiit Magni 3 for a good price on Amazon, and was considering paring it with the D30... until I saw the discount on the A30/D30/Topping mini-shelf ($209).

Now I am seeing good things about the DX3, which not only combines two larger A30/D30 units, but has newer technology like Bluetooth (wish it had Kleer so its compatible with my wireless Sennheisers). Only good thing is that there is no BlackFriday deal deadline breathing down on my neck to make a decision on (other than the Magni3). I'm thinking it could also pair nicely with the Monsoon Planar setereo desktop speaker/sub I have collecting dust in the garage.
The magni3 is pretty good but can distort at higher volumes. Thankfully your 58x don't need that much power and would be a good match. At the current amazon price it's not a bad buy. I can only think of problems if you end up with other headphones later on that are more demanding. Also, why the magni3 price drop? Magni4 incoming?

A30+D30 is good, but A30 has high impedance output. Not a great thing for your 150Ω Sennheiser 58x. So yeah, I'd save up for a DX3 or one of the other high rating amps: Sabaj D5, DX7 Pro, SMSL 500 ....

Last edited:

Jimster480

Major Contributor
The magni3 is pretty good but can distort at higher volumes. Thankfully your 58x don't need that much power and would be a good match. At the current amazon price it's not a bad buy. I can only think of problems if you end up with other headphones later on that are more demanding. Also, why the magni3 price drop? Magni4 incoming?

A30+D30 is good, but A30 has high impedance output. Not a great thing for your 150Ω Sennheiser 58x. So yeah, I'd save up for a DX3 or one of the other high rating amps: Sabaj D5, DX7 Pro, SMSL 500 ....
Actually at 150 ohms its totally fine for the A30. The 6.35mm jack has a 10 ohm output impedance.
He could also use a D30 + JDS Atom.....

MalinYamato

Despite Emirs measured output-impedance of 10.8Ω, the spec of A30 reads "Suitable headphone impedance: 16 – 600 Ω" ???

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It just means you can connect those impedances. It is a meaningless spec basically because one also needs to mention how much power there will be in various impedances.
You can also connect a 600 Ohm headphone to a phone, it will give sound. Perfectly enough for background listening too.

In this case (A30) the 600 can be driven quite well as it can reach high enough voltages. Also it is no problem to connect say a Verum1 with it's 6 Ohm (rated at 8 but lower in practice it seems) and not have any FR changes and enough power to drive most headphones to impressive levels.
So they aren't lying at all and can claim 16-600 Ohm.
The 10 Ohm might well be an issue with some IEM's and perhaps some low impedance headphones with wildly varying impedances because of tonal changes deviating from amps with a lower output R.

There is no hard rule for this (the 1/8th rule is just a handy thing to be on the safe side in most cases)

So yes, you can connect anything between 16 Ohm and 600 Ohm but there are some headphones that might not be perfectly suited.
The 'output R MUST be low' indoctrine, further spread by NwAvGuy, isn't always essential.
It does help prevent undesirable tonal changes so is a good thing... just not obligated in all cases.

Krio

I am pretty noob in this. Can anyone summarize the main differences between L30 and A30 from topping? I want to drive 6xx.

Thanks!

Veri

Master Contributor
I am pretty noob in this. Can anyone summarize the main differences between L30 and A30 from topping? I want to drive 6xx.

Thanks!
A30 is an older Topping product. L30 surpassed it in every level. There is an A30 Pro coming which will have more power than L30 and more power than 6.3mm output A90, but not as powerful as 4.4mm/XLR output A90. For the HD6xx, L30 will suffice :D I use my L30 with this headphone, too.

In 2020 I would not recommend the older A30. I would recommend L30, or maybe schiit heresy/jds atom which are both also quite good.

Krio

A30 is an older Topping product. L30 surpassed it in every level. There is an A30 Pro coming which will have more power than L30 and more power than 6.3mm output A90, but not as powerful as 4.4mm/XLR output A90. For the HD6xx, L30 will suffice :D I use my L30 with this headphone, too.

In 2020 I would not recommend the older A30. I would recommend L30, or maybe schiit heresy/jds atom which are both also quite good.
Thanks for answering this! I already have a Topping A30.. It would be a good idea to hook it up with the Burson v5i dual op ams ?

https://www.bursonaudio.com/products/supreme-sound-opamp-v5i/

Top Bottom