• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of the Topping D70 DAC

NCX

Is there a faster way to switch between the DAC and Pre-Amp function versus turning it on and off each time? I figured out how to switch between the RCA and XLR output quickly with the remote, but have yet to find out how to use, and what the headphone button on the remote does.

I switch the XLR cables between a balanced AMP and speaker set-up and was hoping I could use the remote to switch between the DAC and Pre-Amp function like my old Essence HDACC which allows one to switch with the remote.

D

Deleted member 2944

You have to go to the front panel to switch the mode.

I like the fact that you can't switch from the remote. That's a safety feature that prevents from accidentally increasing the output to 0dbFS and possibly causing some problems.

Dave.

NCX

You have to go to the front panel to switch the mode.

I like the fact that you can't switch from the remote. That's a safety feature that prevents from accidentally increasing the output to 0dbFS and possibly causing some problems.

Dave.

That makes sense. I should have been more specific about the Essence: it requires one to go through two menus to switch, but being able to do so with the remote from a distance is a nice feature to have.

timindy

Is there a faster way to switch between the DAC and Pre-Amp function versus turning it on and off each time? I figured out how to switch between the RCA and XLR output quickly with the remote, but have yet to find out how to use, and what the headphone button on the remote does.

I switch the XLR cables between a balanced AMP and speaker set-up and was hoping I could use the remote to switch between the DAC and Pre-Amp function like my old Essence HDACC which allows one to switch with the remote.
Is there a difference between DAC and Preamp if the level is set to 0db?
Also, how do you switch from preamp to DAC? It's shown as a setting in the instructions, but not how to do it?

NCX

1.) Is there a difference between DAC and Preamp if the level is set to 0db?

2.) Also, how do you switch from preamp to DAC? It's shown as a setting in the instructions, but not how to do it?

1.) Don't know

2.) Yes, hold the Select Button and plug the power cable in or use the switch on the back to turn it on which brings up a hidden and otherwise non-accessible menu with several options including the DAC and pre-amp setting.

Phrangko

You're probably aware that XLR output has twice the voltage of RCA (+6dBu). Most of differences you heard are coming from that simple fact.

It won't. Unless your cables were very bad quality at start. What is your cable, BTW?

You should go by some trustful cable manufacturers (Audioquest is definitely not one of them), meaning Mogami, Canare, Belden, assembled with Neutrik or Amphenol connectors. No one is supposed to "hear" any improvements from orhers cables, unless your expectation bias tells you otherwise.
I purposely delayed my response. I need to get new xlr cables and see how they'll perform this time. It wasn't fair to D70 for making it look bad riding on an incompetent cable. In my defense I bought a coax cable fro the same Chinese company and it is doing well. Sadly their balanced cables were not up to the task. When I had new xlr cables customized with premium parts and installed to the dac and power amp the music is back. The stereo imaging I previously heard returned. All the musical instruments are well pronounced. And the pop. Still there but it does not interfere at all during playback. So in short, the D70 as preamp is equally superb. I'm not sure though if the pop will evaporate in a more expensive cable.

Audio Flynn

I had planned to reward myself without my wife's approval a PS Audio DS DAC for a separate dac. Reading for opinions and experiences help me with my choice so the D70 in front of me is a result of that. What I can say is I saved a ton of money in making the decisions avoided battles with the missus. The D70 is mind blowing! Imaging, soundstage, musicality, you name it. This is one hell of a dac and the measurements plus my ears, marriage is perfect.

My wifes purchase of the D70 (LOL I am very Blessed) should arrive by tomorrow to replace my Channel Islands DAC that developed a power supply problem.

Very cool to hear the Topping implementation of the AK 4497 having only owned Burr Brown based DACs in the past.

Veri

Master Contributor
My wifes purchase of the D70 (LOL I am very Blessed) should arrive by tomorrow to replace my Channel Islands DAC that developed a power supply problem.

Very cool to hear the Topping implementation of the AK 4497 having only owned Burr Brown based DACs in the past.
Enjoy! :)

Audio Flynn

The D70 arrive on Friday. I probably played 30 CDs over the weekend. It is a bit odd to get to the menu by plugging on the power cord but it probably prevents unintentional changes. I will only use this as a DAC in my primarily living room system. Living room system Klipsch Belles with upgraded crossovers, custom built KT88 tube power amp, Conrad Johnson PV12B preamp, Topping D70, Tascam CD transport (COAX) and OPT for TV.

The attack on piano and acoustic guitar notes is best I have heard in my system. Bass guitar, snare drum and ride cymbal realism is much better than the Channel Islands DAC I was using. The D70 is the 7th DAC I have had in my system in 25 years.

Great on vocals like Nora Jones, Straight No Chaser, Natalie Merchant and Diana Krall. Planning on listening to more Orchestra this week.

One function I was hoping to use is the BT function for non critical Spotify premium listening from a Android phone or tablet. The manual is a bit small. I will need to do some investigation to understand how to engage the pairing mode function.

Thanks to all for the investigation and comments! The D70 is what I have been hoping DAC performance would evolve to over the past 20 years.

KingFiercer

It is a bit odd to get to the menu by plugging on the power cord but it probably prevents unintentional changes.
You can enter in menu by switching power button off/on, while pushing SEL button. No need to plugging power the cord.

Last edited:

IslandMD

The attack on piano and acoustic guitar notes is best I have heard in my system. Bass guitar, snare drum and ride cymbal realism is much better than the Channel Islands DAC I was using. The D70 is the 7th DAC I have had in my system in 25 years.

Great on vocals like Nora Jones, Straight No Chaser, Natalie Merchant and Diana Krall. Planning on listening to more Orchestra this week.
I agree with your assessment 100%. I love my D70. I don't see how the D90 (or any other more expensive DAC) could be meaningfully better.

Kiko1974

Is it true that the D70 upsamples all PCM audio input to 32bit 768kHz? If so, is it defeatable?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Is it true that the D70 upsamples all PCM audio input to 32bit 768kHz? If so, is it defeatable?
No. If you use Windows audio, check your settings in Windows audio. And asio or wasapi is recommended.

KingFiercer

There is a line in the settings: DSD Flag / 14 /15
What is this?
I think this is the setting of the I2S connection for the correct playback of the DSD. From D70 manual:

Attachments

• D70.jpg
    D70.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 115

MattG

Anyone with the D70 have it running continuously for a significant amount of time, say at least two weeks nonstop? I'm just wondering if it suffers the same automatically goes to into sleep mode issue that the DX3Pro has?

timindy

I had mine on for a solid month and don't ever remember it going in to sleep mode. It's loaned out to a buddy right now so can't check it.

HDavidson

Current driver for D70 is - V4.47.0 and for D90 -V4.67.0 In your opinion can we use version 4.67.0 for D70?

Veri

Master Contributor
Current driver for D70 is - V4.47.0 and for D90 -V4.67.0 In your opinion can we use version 4.67.0 for D70?
You can always use the latest one. It works for any Topping device ID unless they change the ID to avoid compatibility issues.

So as long as it picks it up with new driver, you are golden.

Top Bottom