• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of the Topping D70 DAC

AndrewDavis

You know, I have an Aeolus on order also. It's looking like they might arrive around the same time. That'll be a cool week!!

leepc

I haven't m9xx to compare, but I can give some hints. Try to check AC polarity of power cord connection. D70 is sensetive to polarity, in wrong connection sound is a bit smoothed/blured (especially highs). Also make sure that the PCM filter is not 2, 4 or 5, they're affects bass presentation pretty much. Also if you're using foobar, try 32-bit ASIO mode, it reproduces low frequencies more percise. These are my conclusions after many experiments.
Listened to foot-tapping on ES9038 smartphone, there is more punch, bass is less fuller, but it really is recognized more like foot-tapping. I understand what you are talking about. Closest result on D70 is with PCM filter 6 applied (in DAC mode, not in PRE -12db), it adds density to sounds a bit in comparison with filter 3.
ADD: most dynamic and crisp sound - KS output (Kernel Streaming). Check it out.

Filter 3 is my choice too when playing non-DSD music on D70. ( D70 only has two filters for DSD)
Unfortunately, Grace m9xx still provides more accurate foot-tapping, clapping and string decay even in lower volume. Don't get me wrong, D70 does deliver good sounds when paring with Sennheiser HDVA 600/GustArd H10 amps and T1/LCD2 headphones. But m9xx just delivers more.
I think Grace m9xx sets the bar really high in the same $500 price range.

Veri

Master Contributor

Kane1972

Does anyone know if the D70 has any connection with the SINGXER SDA-2-C?

Veri

Master Contributor
Thanks. Anyone have experience with the Singxer?
https://www.shenzhenaudio.com/singx...d512-ak4497-decoding-headphone-amplifier.html has some measurements on the sales page :)

The harmonic distortion is comparable to D70, THD+N sweep is slightly worse than D70. But the Singxer comes with SE/BAL headhone amp. If their in-house measurements are taken as trustworthy it seems like a nice enough device if you want an all-in-one, but honestly buying tried-and-true D70 on sale with a headphone amp like JDS Atom/THX AAA, gives you verified performance while the singxer has not been tested.

Edit: the singxer headamp has 22ohm output impedance, 44ohm balanced. Way too high. I would not recommend it to be honest...

Last edited:

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
Edit: the singxer headamp has 22ohm output impedance, 44ohm balanced. Way too high. I would not recommend it to be honest...

Totally agree, before purchasing the Sabaj D5 i was looking at the singxer, even mailed with manufacturer to get confirmation on the numbers.

SirOli

I can recommend it as Headphone Amp/Dac for the Sennheiser HD800S.
I replaced my SMSL Su-8 V2 with the Singxer SDA-2C.
It has a relaxed sound and has great synergy with HD800S. Highs are bit softer and the lows are a lot better than with other DAC/AMPS.
The Soundstage is audibly wider than with the SMSL SU8 DAC. It´s my favorite DAC/AMP for my HD800S.
It is very good in fine details without beeing harsh.

With the ADX5000 the lows are to pronounced for my taste.
I did not test it with my Speaker setup so far. It benefits from the SU-6 but the difference is smaller than with other DAC/AMPS.

Config:
WindowsPC / --> Singxer SU-6 --> Singxer SDA-2C--> Sennheiser HD800S/Audio Technica ATH-ADX5000/AKG 812 pro

Pillars

I don't recommend buying this without listening session. It's not bad at all, but has very specific soft sound.

You coming from a Sabre based DAC? These were my thoughts as well and when comparing them there is more edge on the Sabre. The lowest sub bass and highs are a bit more pronounced while the D70 they are more subtle, measurements be damned. There is what, a 0.5db margin of error through the FR? I will say this though, the treble on the D70 is fantastic and overall the sound is very pleasing.

Using D70->THX 789-> HE-560/HD6XX

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

chosen_too

You coming from a Sabre based DAC? These were my thoughts as well and when comparing them there is more edge on the Sabre.

Using D70->THX 789-> HE-560/HD6XX

I compared it to AK4490 DAC, not Sabre. For me bass was too weak, otherwise DAC is perfect.

SirOli

Probably due to the higher impedance output I suppose.
Yeah of course.
This time its not a bug its a feature.

But there is no coloration of sound at the XLR Output.

ceausuc

I don't recommend buying this without listening session. It's not bad at all, but has very specific soft sound.

Yes, it will put you to sleep even after a few cans of Red Bull :)
Good for Susan Wong. Probably the designer is a big fan :)

The output stage has too small resistors and maybe LME49720 is not too strong for that task. Neither 100uF in series capacitors are not perfect transparent, maybe there is a phase change at the low frequency. Maybe Amirm will showing us the frequency response. I changed the resistors values and I eliminated that capacitors and the sound has much more punch.

Top Bottom