• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of the Topping D70 DAC

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Perhaps organizing a fake ABX where you make them believe they listen to 2 different DACs whereas there's only one. Something like that.

Its probably more realistic if you make them go through a round of 10~20 completely blind listening tests. Let them decide how many different DAC's that they pick out.

Snafu

32 pages and ~27 pages of non D70 related more or less BS

thanks for contribution , so easy to find information about products discussed...

:rolleyes:

Moriarty

32 pages and ~27 pages of non D70 related more or less BS

thanks for contribution , so easy to find information about products discussed...

:rolleyes:

You are looking for information? What for?... These wise men who know better already told you: all DACs sound the same. Better remember their kind advise: if you dare have a different opinion, find yourself another forum :facepalm:

Moriarty

^WTF ? you want this forum being another sbaf/headfi ? maybe you should be the one looking your way back there...

i rather read information than opinions :facepalm:

OK, so what you wanna know? Amir did his job very well, as always - just jump to page 1 in this topic if you wanna know numbers. Technical data? Inputs, outputs, DSD range etc. - all is known too since day one.
I own and listen to Topping D70 for over two weeks. Are you interested in my opinion about sound? Or not? (of course, not - just kidding, numbers say it all ;)). What information do you need?

Snafu

^^ I was talking about NON D70 related posts. User experiences and even opinions are imo welcome...

but thanks for asking. Is optical input terminal good or loose like D50 had (at least mine wasn't very tight) ?

cheers

IHeartAudio

OK, so what you wanna know? Amir did his job very well, as always - just jump to page 1 in this topic if you wanna know numbers. Technical data? Inputs, outputs, DSD range etc. - all is known too since day one.
I own and listen to Topping D70 for over two weeks. Are you interested in my opinion about sound? Or not? (of course, not - just kidding, numbers say it all ;)). What information do you need?

Do you have an answer for my question?

I did a search in this thread and looked over the DX7s manual (as I saw no D70 manual on Topping's site) and didn't see this clarified. Can you set a different volume for RCA and XLR and it remembers those? If yes, does it have to be in one of those modes or does it remember the setting even in RCA/XLR? If not, how is volume handled when switching outputs?

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The problem here is that the subjective opinion that D70 sounds better than D50 is contradicted by Amir's measurements at the beginning of both threads. He established that both should be transparent, hence should sound the same. His subjective listening tests also said so.

We are in our right to ask, if you think they sound different, facts that prove that a difference should be audible. If not, this is not "audio science" anymore.

Bamyasi

I have quite a lot of flac and dsd files on my NAS
Currently I have a laptop with USB out and a RPI3+ .
However both of them are USB out, and I heard that USB has lot of noise or jitter whatever, and I2S has the best signal . No?
Thanks.

If you are concerned about USB jitter noise, you can try a USB reclocker HAT. Something like Allo USBridge I am using here. USBridge uses Sparky SBC host which is powerful enough to run fully fledged media server like Plex Media Server. I use DietPi operating system which supports native DSD streaming but Volumio is also an option. This makes my USBridge a complete self-contained media streamer (with a 1TB USB SSD drive attached), UPnP/DLNA renderer and USB transport solution which is tiny in size, completely silent, available 24/7 and does not break the bank either. Highly recommended.

Moriarty

but thanks for asking. Is optical input terminal good or loose like D50 had (at least mine wasn't very tight) ?

I can't say for sure, I use RCA and don't have optical wire. RCA and everything on the back I can check with my fingers seems to be very solid and stable. All this box (metal, pieces precisely connected) seems to be solid done. First impression is good. Sorry that I can't help more.

Moriarty

Do you have an answer for my question?

Unfortunately, there is no detailed manual in the box and I haven't seen such in the web. I think the best way to find out what to do is ask Topping guy directly. Someone from Topping was active here on ASR forum, I saw his detailed explanation how to set up D70 on "DAC only" mode.

I don't remember exactly it was in this topic or DX3Pro review topic, you must check (maybe someone here remember and could help?). When you find him, just send him PM with your questions. The best way, I think.

laidick

Forum Donor
My D70 has arrived, and I absolutely love the sound it produces.
However there is one problem, when I use XLR it is dead quiet, when I use RCA there are hump noise from my speakers.
Is there any hints to solve this problem ?

Thanks.

Pillars

Well, at least I'll be teardown inspecting my unit anyways.

Last edited:

EReich

Could someone please post a picture of this DAC stacked with the THX 789? Not sure if they have the same width and depth.. Front and side please if that's not too much to ask. Thank you in advance to whoever complies :D

zym1010

Forum Donor
Could someone please post a picture of this DAC stacked with the THX 789? Not sure if they have the same width and depth.. Front and side please if that's not too much to ask. Thank you in advance to whoever complies :D

according to D70's dimensions and the locations of its 4 rubber feet, I think it should stack on THX 789 (maybe a bit ugly).

imagidominc

Forum Donor
Owner of D70 and THX 789. THX 789 is longer in the back.
IMG_9602.JPG

Top Bottom