• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of the Topping D70 DAC

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
The choice is big.
Any one of them are audibly transparent. Or at least most people wouldn't notice any difference at all. Objectively better performance? Yes. More feature? Like balanced out, yes. But I don't see choosing any of the ones I listed being an issue. If you live in US, get modi3 or ol dac. If not, d30 is really good choice. These are all 100 dollar range. Perfect for budget dac.

wtsz

Any one of them are audibly transparent. Or at least most people wouldn't notice any difference at all. Objectively better performance? Yes. More feature? Like balanced out, yes. But I don't see choosing any of the ones I listed being an issue. If you live in US, get modi3 or ol dac. If not, d30 is really good choice. These are all 100 dollar range. Perfect for budget dac.
Thanks, but you know -:)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
So is the D70 graph simply mislabeled as a 44.1 kHz sample rate instead of 48 kHz and still measured at 88.2 kHz (would cause the symmetry of Filter 5 at 44.1 kHz) instead of 96 kHz or is there an issue with its filtering/sampling? Just want to check as I don't want to order if it has aliasing issues.
I am not at my workstation and will be on the road most of today. Quickly checked on my laptop and it says 44.1 kHz but I don't know how reliable that reading is when I am not connected to the DAC.

gvl

Major Contributor

typericey

D70 arrived, burning in. Sounds less harsh than d50, more details, I like it)

Care to expound? Are you using balanced out? Curious D50 owner here.

chosen_too

Care to expound? Are you using balanced out? Curious D50 owner here.

I'm using RCA and Dynaudio Focus 110a, D70 connected to Raspberry pi 3 via USB. My hdd with music died day before Topping arrived, so I only left just with several albums (Slayer, Rebecca Pigeon and AC/DC), so no serious subjective listening tests yet performed. It's a level up for sure - even without burning in D70 sounds better than D50. Not even a sign of harshness, great instruments separation, better focus and soundstage, guitar sounds way more natural. Overall d70 sounds less "digital" than d50. Recently I tested Gustard x26, fantastic dac, a was shocked with SQ. Topping d70 didn't produce same wow effect, but it cost three times less and I'm totally satisfied for now with it.

Build quality superb also, even better than Gustard, solid and nice looking unit. Can't wait to try i2s and aes inputs.

DeepSpace57

I'm using RCA and Dynaudio Focus 110a, D70 connected to Raspberry pi 3 via USB. My hdd with music died day before Topping arrived, so I only left just with several albums (Slayer, Rebecca Pigeon and AC/DC), so no serious subjective listening tests yet performed. It's a level up for sure - even without burning in D70 sounds better than D50. Not even a sign of harshness, great instruments separation, better focus and soundstage, guitar sounds way more natural. Overall d70 sounds less "digital" than d50. Recently I tested Gustard x26, fantastic dac, a was shocked with SQ. Topping d70 didn't produce same wow effect, but it cost three times less and I'm totally satisfied for now with it.

Build quality superb also, even better than Gustard, solid and nice looking unit. Can't wait to try i2s and aes inputs.

I assumed the Gustard would produce more digital sound than D70 would, as Es9038pro is very known dac at analytical sound signature.

Veri

Master Contributor
as Es9038pro is very known dac at analytical sound signature.
o_O:facepalm::facepalm:

T1WLW2g.png

D

Deleted member 4987

Can we not have some basic test before being allowed to post please?

Moriarty

Arrived today! My precioooouuuuusssssss... :)

I had time only for "Flamenco Sketches" (from "Kind of Blue"), Jarrett's "Koeln Concert" (not all) and "Winter" from Vivaldi's "Four Seasons" by Giuliano Carmignola and Venice Baroque Orchestra. Now I a have to cut grass in a garden before my lovely wife will kill me :cool:

So, my first impressions are very positive. TD70, just out of the box, cold, not stabilised, played definitely better than DAC in my CD-player. More natural, "analog". Less offensive, with more elegance and culture, if I may use such description.

OK, I have to go back to garden works! :p I will listen to more music this evening (EU time), I hope, this time more challenging (symhonic orchestras, pieces on two pianos and so on). Stay tuned.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
So, my first impressions are very positive. TD70, just out of the box, cold, not stabilised, played definitely better than DAC in my CD-player. More natural, "analog". Less offensive, with more elegance and culture, if I may use such description.

What blinding and level matching procedure did you use?

Alderaan_Null

Anyone purchased the D70 from SHENZHENAUDIO on Amazon. After the 10% coupon on Amazon, it comes out just a little cheaper then drop+tax. But it looks like the dates amazon estimates are pretty much same time as when Drop would get here. Trying to see if anyone has ordered and if it takes less time then what amazon said.

If its the same time, might just keep the drop order that way easier to deal with Drop if there are any issues, then dealing with 3rd party vendor via amazon.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
I'm not completely sure if warranty with Drop is actually easier than with Shenzhen though. ( Shenzhen are pretty tight with Topping. )

You better check with the 2 parties what their respective warranty policies are like.

Alderaan_Null

I'm not completely sure if warranty with Drop is actually easier than with Shenzhen though. ( Shenzhen are pretty tight with Topping. )

You better check with the 2 parties what their respective warranty policies are like.

Good call, doing further digging on the Drop, it says that it just comes with a "warranty card" but nothing else mentioned about any warranty. Looks like I will just cancel my drop and order via shenzhen.

Good looking out!

chosen_too

I assumed the Gustard would produce more digital sound than D70 would, as Es9038pro is very known dac at analytical sound signature.

X26 SQ was close to Denafrips Terminator on a very resolving system ;) It's not just a Sabre chip in a box, but a lot of other technical solutions packed in one box.

Moriarty

So are you saying you didn't bother with basic controls?

I said very clear my Topping D70 arrived today and I had an opportunity to play with this toy for very limited time. I'm pretty sure it was obvious for everyone - including you - there was no "blinding and level matching procedure". So, your "question" was not a question really. It was a suggestion my opinion is worth nothing at all untill I do such comparison. And I don't like it :confused:.

Top Bottom