• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of the Topping D70 DAC

Yachary

Source system:
Server: Small Green Computer "Sonic Orbiter i5" w/SSD, network ethernet interface, OEM laptop-type PS
Player/streamer/renderer: Small Green Computer "UltraRendu," network ethernet interface, powered by Ciunas (Ireland) lithium battery PS, USB > DAC
Library/DSP software: Roon streaming Tidal, likely adding Qobuz later

Is the Topping D70 compatible in the above system?

To date my best audio performance comprises the DAC's fixed maximum analog output (maximum digital resolution in the case of DAC w/digital volume only) > integrated amp w/analog volume control. Can D70 audio performance improve w/different volume control method? If yes, please describe.

A 2nd Ciunas lithium battery PS powers my current Pro-Ject $400 S2 DAC. I'm surprised Amir has not tested the S2, considering its perceived value and availability. A reliable source said a good LPS (compared to the OEM wall wart, which I lack) hugely improves S2 performance.

Does anyone know of a dealer offering D70 trial audition w/return option within 7 days?

Many thanks!
Hello, check this site:
https://www.shenzhenaudio.com/
1561571730360.png

So you can try it for 30 days:)
And by the way I've got now D70. I don't know why but for my ears D70 has fantastic sound, much better than dx3pro. But it's only my subjective opinion due to measurement are so closed

Last edited:

James Romeyn

Dealer
Thank you, Yachary! I'll post feedback ASAP.

exaSound said their DAC is incompatible with my server and streamer. Do readers think D70 is compatible with my server and streamer?

Only for those who believe in "burn in:" how many hours of use did it take for your D70 to achieve its best sound quality?

Last edited:

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello, check this site:
https://www.shenzhenaudio.com/
View attachment 28374
So you can try it for 30 days:)
And by the way I've got now D70. I don't know why but for my ears D70 has fantastic sound, much better than dx3pro. But it's only my subjective opinion due to measurement are so closed

Can you do an ABX to be sure? Or at least describe us what's different in your opinion.

carlos

Topping mentioned they were working on A50 as an upgrade to A30 and companion to D50. It seems like they were having quality issues and were postponing the launch, but now both D50 and D70 are missing a standalone desktop headphone amp.

Veri

Master Contributor
Topping mentioned they were working on A50 as an upgrade to A30 and companion to D50. It seems like they were having quality issues and were postponing the launch, but now both D50 and D70 are missing a standalone desktop headphone amp.
Atom for D50 and hopefully a new launch of THX AAA for the D70 :D
I caved in and got an Atom and I love it really. Unity gain maxed = 114SINAD! Sounds wonderful.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
exaSound said their DAC is incompatible with my server and streamer. Do readers think D70 is compatible with my server and streamer?
Exasound uses proprietary interface so doesn't work with streamers. D70 uses standard UAC2 protocol so it is compatible with everything.

Yachary

Can you do an ABX to be sure? Or at least describe us what's different in your opinion.
Unfortunally I can't do ABX test. Dx3 was returned to dealer because of self shut down problem.
What about my subjective opinion. Well, let's image dark night with millions of stars, and you can see everyone and deep space beetwen it. Somewhat like this. Also, bass is stronger, and highs are not so edgy. So sound has more dinamisc and clarity

xevman

Just placed an order for this. My DX7s has already found a new home so this will be the next logical upgrade since I have no need for an inbuilt headphone amplifier. Can't wait to pair this with the THX 789 when it becomes available, should keep me happy for a very long time.

I am considering ordering the D70 but noticed something odd with the reconstruction filter plot. It shows that it attenuates to only -10db at 22.05 kHz for Filter 1/3 and to < -100 dB at 24 kHz but the plot is annotated with a 44.1 kHz sample rate. By comparison the measurements for the D50s show the fast filters fully attenuate at 22.05 kHz as expected. So is the D70 graph simply mislabeled as a 44.1 kHz sample rate instead of 48 kHz and still measured at 88.2 kHz (would cause the symmetry of Filter 5 at 44.1 kHz) instead of 96 kHz or is there an issue with its filtering/sampling? Just want to check as I don't want to order if it has aliasing issues.

Veri

Master Contributor
I am considering ordering the D70 but noticed something odd with the reconstruction filter plot. It shows that it attenuates to only -10db at 22.05 kHz for Filter 1/3 and to < -100 dB at 24 kHz but the plot is annotated with a 44.1 kHz sample rate. By comparison the measurements for the D50s show the fast filters fully attenuate at 22.05 kHz as expected. So is the D70 graph simply mislabeled as a 44.1 kHz sample rate instead of 48 kHz and still measured at 88.2 kHz (would cause the symmetry of Filter 5 at 44.1 kHz) instead of 96 kHz or is there an issue with its filtering/sampling? Just want to check as I don't want to order if it has aliasing issues.
This is a good question surprised no one else noticed this yet. Good comment :D Welcome to ASR!

Moriarty

I don't want to order if it has aliasing issues.

Man, you scared the shit out of me! :oops: I will get my TD70 on Monday, just payed border tax and VAT... Hell, I hope it will play well! According to all guys who bought it already, it's great, beautiful performing DAC. Well, I wanna believe it's something more than just honeymoon blindness :)

@amirm Could you help us with your opinion, please?

Man, you scared the shit out of me! :oops: I will get my TD70 on Monday, just payed border tax and VAT... Hell, I hope it will play well! According to all guys who bought it already, it's great, beautiful performing DAC. Well, I wanna believe it's something more than just honeymoon blindness :)

@amirm Could you help us with your opinion, please?

Stay calm, D70 is excellent. The sound is almost perfect.

Jestercow

I just got a replacement board for my D50 so once I repair it, I will do some comparisons.

Couldn't find where this has been accomplished yet; any timeline for this comparison? I'm quite interested in the results of this shootout.

wtsz

I am suspending the purchase of the T D70 for clarification...

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Get a topping d30 or something. They are perfectly fine as well. I just read through a few pages. You need rca out right? Then d70 is not really necessary at all. Not only d30, jds el dac, jds ol dac, schiit modi3 are very good too. I personally have smsl m3, d30, dx3pro. All are really good(m3 needs a bit of mod).

Last edited:

wtsz

Get a topping d30 or something. They are perfectly fine as well. I just read through a few pages. You need rca out right? Then d70 is not really necessary at all. Not only d30, jds el amp, jds ol amp, schiit modi3 are very good too. I personally have smsl m3, d30, dx3pro. All are really good(m3 needs a bit of mod).
The choice is big.

Top Bottom