• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of the Topping D70 DAC

ceausuc

Thank you. UFFF

If you are worried about the quality of the RCA out then XLR to RCA cables are another option.
I used a while ago this kind of interconnect and there was no problem.

Moriarty

Done. I bought this DAC :).

I have probably a silly question - forgive me, please, it is my first separate DAC ever. I'm going to feed this beast with bits flowing from my Marantz CD6006 (someday I'm going to replace it with Cambridge CXC CD Transport). What kind of coaxial cable do I need? BNC - RCA or RCA -RCA?

Veri

Master Contributor
Done. I bought this DAC :).

I have probably a silly question - forgive me, please, it is my first separate DAC ever. I'm going to feed this beast with bits flowing from my Marantz CD6006 (someday I'm going to replace it with Cambridge CXC CD Transport). What kind of coaxial cable do I need? BNC - RCA or RCA -RCA?
Since there is no BNC on the D70, yes I would suggest something like this:
https://www.ghentaudio.com/part/e09.html

The true-75ohm canare RCA connectors are supposedly the best for coaxical :)

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Marantz CD6006 (someday I'm going to replace it with Cambridge CXC CD Transport). What kind of coaxial cable do I need? BNC - RCA or RCA -RCA?

I would suggest something like this:
https://www.ghentaudio.com/part/e09.html

Nope, he needs RCA to RCA coax cable to drive the D70 from the Marantz. I guess you linked the wrong product...

@Moriarty By the way, unless for aesthetic reasons, there is absolutely no need to upgrade to Cambridge CXC. The Marantz will just do the job as well as a CD Transport!

Moriarty

That was the wrong cable, but any RCA cable will do as long as it is shorter than 2 meters. Only with longer cables you would need a 75 Ohms impedance cable like this one.

Are you sure I just lost 20 bucks? :/ Damn. Anyway, this Topping D70 output looks a bit strange to me, different than typical RCA:
Coax.JPG

bunkbail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Are you sure I just lost 20 bucks? :/ Damn. Anyway, this Topping D70 output looks a bit strange to me, different than typical RCA:
View attachment 28256
Just give Ghent Xu of Ghent Audio an email and ask him to send you the right cable. I've bought so many cables from him and the few times I've been making the wrong order I sent him an email and he replied very quickly and sent the correct counter offer (or a refund) on PayPal.

Moriarty

Yeah, I sent him a message, he responded fast, nice guy. Everything should be fine now. I hope I will receive this cable before Topping will arrive! :) Expected shipping time - "normally 2-3 weeks (4-6 weeks for remote area)" - worry me a bit.

Moriarty

By the way, unless for aesthetic reasons, there is absolutely no need to upgrade to Cambridge CXC. The Marantz will just do the job as well as a CD Transport!

Would be nice, but I'm not so sure. Cambridge uses very precise S3 servo with very good errors corrections and many of my old, scratched CD records - unfortunately, not always eager to collaborate with Marantz - should be thankful for such help. Power section, with nice toroid transformer, looks better too.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Cambridge uses very precise S3 servo with very good errors corrections and many of my old, scratched CD records - unfortunately, not always eager to collaborate with Marantz - should be thankful for such help. Power section, with nice toroid transformer, looks better too.

Ok. I do understand for the playback efficiency... But I have serious doubts that a nice toroidal transformer could have any influence for digital transport to your D70. ;)

Veri

Master Contributor
Yeah, I sent him a message, he responded fast, nice guy. Everything should be fine now. I hope I will receive this cable before Topping will arrive! :) Expected shipping time - "normally 2-3 weeks (4-6 weeks for remote area)" - worry me a bit.
Sorry for the confusion!! I expected your transport to have the BNC output, I misunderstood you :( really glad ghent fixed the order for you

PorchSong

I've been using

I have been promoting ghentaudio for over a year. His cables are of first rate quality at a very reasonable price. All my cables are ghentaudio. If you have not tried them--do! You can see the pride in his construction and I fear that he will become too busy as more people discover him.

James Romeyn

Dealer
Is the Topping D70 compatible w/the gear listed below?

Server: Small Green Computer "Sonic Orbiter i5" w/SSD, custom Linux based system, network ethernet interface, OEM laptop-type PS
Player/streamer/renderer: Small Green Computer "UltraRendu," network ethernet interface, powered by Ciunas (Ireland) lithium battery PS, USB > DAC
Library/DSP software: Roon streaming Tidal, likely adding Qobuz later

To date my best audio performance comprises my DAC's analog output fixed @ maximum/0 dB > analog volume in the integrated amp. In my application with a D70, is it best to fix the D70 @ -3 dB (instead of 0 dB)? I ask because of the notes mentioning that 0 dB performance slightly lacks compared to some degree of attenuation.

Pure science group please ignore the following AB test I performed with a highly rated ultra costly DAC:
A. DAC digital volume @ -12 dB > direct to power amp
B. DAC 0 dB fixed > analog line preamp volume control > power amp
B thoroughly outperformed A, by good margin, not even close. The DAC does not use Sabre 32 bit chips with digital volume control circuit integrated in the chip.

Does any D70 reseller offer trial audition w/return option within 14 days?

Many thanks!

Last edited:
Top Bottom