• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of the Topping D70 DAC

Veri

Master Contributor
Am I able to use this as a preamp?

Thanks!
It is ideal if you need variable volume :)

HTB1n25Lav5G3KVjSZPxq6zI3XXao.jpg

Snafu

so, using this as preamp : volume needs to be set to -99dB ? and 0 dB is max out (line level 2V) ?

i'm afraid to try because i don't want to blow up anything... :rolleyes:

so, using this as preamp : volume needs to be set to -99dB ? and 0 dB is max out (line level 2V) ?

i'm afraid to try because i don't want to blow up anything... :rolleyes:
Exactly

gvl

Major Contributor
You set it between -99 and 0db as you see fit. 0db being max volume. You don't want to go too low with digital volume control as it will lose resolution. If you have a sensitive amp and speakers and find your normal listening volume is -70dB you will probably be better of with an analog volume control between the DAC and the amp that has unity gain. One danger is Topping remotes have a button that sets the output to 0db with a single key press, which may well damage your speakers, so careful there.

Snafu

^ ^^ thanks

I have been afraid of these strangely marked volumes since i got my tube pre amp: it's scale/markings are 0 loudest and ∞-sign quietest

when setting it up first time... yeah...it was pretty loud... :eek:

I'm gonna pass these touch one button and your system is f'd things :confused:

Normal listening volume is between -40dB and -20dB for my sound system.

gvl

Major Contributor
Isn't listening at -40dB through digital volume control reduces SNR by 40dB?

Isn't listening at -40dB through digital volume control reduces SNR by 40dB?

Yes but -40dB is a small volume. I don't care about the SNR when I have that tinny signal.

monkey4054

I know this isn't the place for subjective comparisons. But I'm wondering if the AKM chip in this sounds meatier, fuller, more musical etc. than the SABRE chip in the SU-8. I moved from an old Modi DAC with an AKM chip to the SMSL SU-8 and the sound of the Sabre chip is definitely more detailed, but sounds quite cold, clinical, not quite thin but... It's just missing something that the AKM chip has, like a full, rich, weighty (although not the most detailed or perhaps accurate) sound signature. Wondering if it would be worth switching to the D70 or the miniDSP SHD which also has an AKM chip?

gvl

Major Contributor
I know this isn't the place for subjective comparisons. But I'm wondering if the AKM chip in this sounds meatier, fuller, more musical etc. than the SABRE chip in the SU-8. I moved from an old Modi DAC with an AKM chip to the SMSL SU-8 and the sound of the Sabre chip is definitely more detailed, but sounds quite cold, clinical, not quite thin but... It's just missing something that the AKM chip has, like a full, rich, weighty (although not the most detailed or perhaps accurate) sound signature. Wondering if it would be worth switching to the D70 or the miniDSP SHD which also has an AKM chip?

Chances are what you were hearing were just the added harmonic distortion products in the Modi, and not the "AKM house sound". The D70 is very clean and much cleaner than the Modi, and should sound very close to the SU-8.

Last edited:

D70 sound very neutral with strong bass but not cold, clinical or warm like tube amps. D70 sound like real life.

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
At that price, I thought Topping would have mopped everyone in a stand-alone DAC config at this price bracket. I still think to this day the DX3 Pro was some designer throwing everyone a special treat. Topping are also about to cannibalize themselves seemingly in the mid-top end once the DX7 Pro releases, and then you have the D2 actual top-end flagship , but unless that thing mops the competition thoroughly, things like the RME and Okto will forever be encroaching on it as they offer a serious price/featureset at the price the D2 will be attempting to compete at.

With the specs, I'm surprised the top-end power wasn't more controlled for. Especially considering the delay this thing seemingly went through.
I can attest to the DX3 Pro being a "special treat" (thanks some designer, and @amirm).

I really like the D70 because it also has the remote that comes with the DX3 Pro, and it has the XLR interconnects, so it can pair really well with the 789. But it's missing Bluetooth connectivity, which I find to be a nice feature for when I want to just stream music from my phone.

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
You can self-certify but Topping actually hires a lab to do the testing:

View attachment 26967

The test agency is BST.

The PCB traces may be thick enough to handle the trip current.

This is very accurate and detailed feedback on a key quality and safety certification. This is why I love visiting Audio Science Review!

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
I started with a D30 and its supurb overall. This is how I knew that Schiit DAC's were terrible lol... because I heard the loss of quality in the music when I listened to the fulla2 or the Modi Multibit. I knew very little about audio back then and was just going by my ears. I was also confused since Schiit was said to be "the best" according to headfi (lol).

Since the D30 I can't say that anything else I have purchased has made a "significant improvement". I've tested many DAC's now and I have A/B tested them back and forth and as long as a DAC has good linearity (as measured here) I haven't been able to tell any repeatable difference.
I can tell you I prefer my DX7 with its balanced outputs and integrated Amp (which now I rarely use) but I can't tell you that I can A/B test that it is certainly better in analytical scenarios (when using an Aeon) vs the D30 while its driving the same Amp.
There are a few times that I did think the DX7 is better than the D30 during my testing.... but I couldn't repeat the same results each time.

I've seen many Schiit disciples on various forums that tout the value and quality of the products, but I'm afraid that they've just fallen victim to hype and clever marketing; pushing larger box sizes and higher prices that confuse earnest audio consumers (read Schiit Yggdrasil DAC).

Top Bottom