• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of the Topping D70 DAC

shanecoughlan

Forum Donor
I had the exact same problem with my Topping D70S. It ran flawlessly for about 2 weeks then completely died. The device was really warm to the touch when it spontaneously failed with a prominent acrid smell that followed.

I ended up returning it. I loved the sound of it but was concerned by the fact a $1000 DAC (In Canadian Dollars) could fail so quickly. Perhaps if their warranty was better I would consider buying it again.

So now I am in search of a new DAC.
I have had the opposite experience with my NX4 DSD. Despite being neglected and then being overused randomly, despite being left flat and then charged randomly, and despite being used for stupid stuff like as a test preamp on a custom build… it is still going strong three years later.

This is not to renounce the reality of your experience by any measure. I just wanted to share mine so people did not think issues were the default

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have had the opposite experience with my NX4 DSD. Despite being neglected and then being overused randomly, despite being left flat and then charged randomly, and despite being used for stupid stuff like as a test preamp on a custom build… it is still going strong three years later.

This is not to renounce the reality of your experience by any measure. I just wanted to share mine so people did not think issues were the default
Same here. I bought the D70 on Drop a few years ago-still going strong. Also have the E30, D10 Balanced and the simply devine D90SE. All working flawlessly so far.

Last edited:

dufferdan

Has anyone had this issue?

Received my D70S MQA DAC on the weekend. I have listened to it a few times post setup this week, but this evening I set it up for some Campari time listening between the optical input from my Squeezebox Touch the DAC and the USB input from my iPad to the DAC USB input.

I have been comparing the Beatles Abbey Road 2009 remix ripped to ALAC lossless bs the Apple Music 2019 24/96 hires mix.

I have been aggressively switching back and forth between the optical input and the USB. After about 5 minutes, the USB just cuts out. Silent. Noting. Turning the DAC off then restarting, the USB comes back. The Optical input is fine.

Faulty unit? Not sure I want to wear a unit I bought specifically because the USB measured so well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 82
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 85
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 88

dufferdan

Hate to reply to myself, but can’t find edit button…..

Went back to this again tonight. Had the iPad and Lightning connector lying flat on table. So no weight stress on the connection. Lost signal at one point over course of the evening, but noticed the D70 was still registering the bitrate, but no sound. Fiddled with the lightning connector, no love. Pulled it and re-inserted, restarted music and audio came back.

Any ideas? After this event it was solid for an hour of listening.

One other note, when playing hi res streams from the Squeezebox Touch/Optical audio at 24/96, switching back to same song on iPad/Apple Music 16/44.1 (talking heads, same 2005 Master) there was noticeable static while the Topping locked in. Once locked in, it was fine.

Would love to know if anyone else has experienced similar? Any longer term issues with Topping losing audio via USB?

caccarot81

Hi Guys,Any significant differences between D70 and D70's?
Apart from Bluetooth and MQA support.
Thanks

neukrisz

Audio Company
Hi Guys,Any significant differences between D70 and D70's?
Apart from Bluetooth and MQA support.
Thanks

Hi,
It has totally different analog (buffer/driver) stage after the DAC output. The PSU is also different, but both are very good.
I didn't realize any notable others...

arichman

Could someone who is feeling generous please expand on the remark in the review noting that if you avoid using the d70 as a fixed volume DAC that you can avoid the distortion "at the limit". This implies to me that in fixed volume or full output mode it is always operating "at the limit". If I were to use the DAC in a system with a pre-amp perhaps it would better not to fix the output level but set it some level slightly lower?

levimax

Major Contributor
Could someone who is feeling generous please expand on the remark in the review noting that if you avoid using the d70 as a fixed volume DAC that you can avoid the distortion "at the limit". This implies to me that in fixed volume or full output mode it is always operating "at the limit". If I were to use the DAC in a system with a pre-amp perhaps it would better not to fix the output level but set it some level slightly lower?
Looking at the first page it looks like as the digital input gets close to 0dB distortion rises "slightly". If you were worried about this you could slightly attenuate the digital signal (by a dB or 2), many software players allow for this. Many people advocate reducing digital gain by a db or 2 because of "intersample overs" where sometimes a digital signal near 0 dB can cause digital clipping. In reality it probably won't make any audible difference as many DAC's handle intersample overs just fine and the slight rise this DAC shows is not audible. But if you want to feel better it won't hurt anything besides a possible 1 or 2 dB loss of loudness at full volume if you don't have a pre-amp.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Flawless operation since new. Maybe @dufferdan has "auto on" enabled?

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks, I’ll look into that. Where would that setting be?
The lower left button on the remote - "Auto". Push to turn on or off.

Jonlla

Do any of you lovely people know if there is any difference in sound quality between using DAC and preamp modes?

Top Bottom