• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of the Topping D70 DAC

Mikechw

Should I get this D70s ?
I already have D90 without MQA.

Wolf mentioned that multitone at low frequency has better SNR...

kkeretic

Should I get this D70s ?
I already have D90 without MQA. Wolf mentioned that multitone at low frequency has better SNR...

What's the point of having a D70s if you already have a D90 unless you possibly need another DAC with balanced output and/or like to collect Topping stuff? Better SNR? Irrelevant for quite some time.

Veri

Master Contributor
You didn't understand. What I'm telling you those wires (to let there like that) are wrong, as is supposed to be a marketing material in first place.
He just explained the chassis needs to be opened to take a picture of the (partially dis-assembled) board...

Wolf mentioned that multitone at low frequency has better SNR...
It's just that, an achievement. No need to buy it if you already own D90, haha. Can't obsess over every little measurement ;p
D90/AK4499 has better low distortion characteristics, in any case. D70s is just really, really good for an AK4497 implementation.

gonzoznog

I know this DAC (D70) has a mode that can be selected to disable volume control. D90 and E30 use a mode called "Pure DAC mode" that can output native DSD w/o any internal PCM conversion. A lot of DAC mfrs claim Native DSD but convert it internally to PCM for volume control purposes. I've seen a diagram indicating that the D90 and E30 can definitely have this conversion bypassed with "Pure DAC Mode"enabled. As mentioned, I know the D70 can be used as a DAC without volume control, but am unsure if this is the same mode as the "Pure DAC Mode" and bypassing the PCM conversion like the other models listed. It's hard to find any definitive answers on this. Thanks!

Last edited:

gonzoznog

I am bummed. After contacting customer service via email, I got the following response: "Thank you for contacting TOPPING support. We are happy to assist. D70 has no DSD volume bypass, but D70s has. Best Regards"
What is that? I don't understand why the cheaper E30 would have true DSD volume bypass but the more expensive model does not. I originally had an SMSL M200, but didn't care for the aesthetics or cheap feel, but I might have to go with that or a Geshelli JNOG bc I need native DSD. VERY DISSAPOINTED!

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
What is that? I don't understand why the cheaper E30 would have true DSD volume bypass but the more expensive model does not.
Because when the D70 released, at the time none of the Topping DACs had that mode available, not one..

Reactions: PSO

CJH

On D70 you can choose DAC Mode for DSD, which bypasses the preamp mode (PCM volume control).
CJH

CJH

I purchased a D70 when they first came out and have always had a problem playing 768Khz. Unit would lose lock after a few minutes and I would get a white noise blast at full volume. Not pleasant and potentially damaging .with a full range system. I conceded to simply playing 705Khz max, but always gave it a try with each successive driver update. With the latest update (version 5.0) I am able to continually play 768Khz with no problems. Can anyone that has also had this problem please confirm this. Thanks Topping--keeping my fingers crossed.
CJH

Veri

Master Contributor
I purchased a D70 when they first came out and have always had a problem playing 768Khz. Unit would lose lock after a few minutes and I would get a white noise blast at full volume. Not pleasant and potentially damaging .with a full range system. I conceded to simply playing 705Khz max, but always gave it a try with each successive driver update. With the latest update (version 5.0) I am able to continually play 768Khz with no problems. Can anyone that has also had this problem please confirm this. Thanks Topping--keeping my fingers crossed.
CJH
Yeah pretty sure it's bugfixed.

zanny

I bought the D70 used for US$300 in Australia ($400) after comparing lots of DACs, not using MQA or bluetooth it's less than half the price of a new D70s or even more for other options.

I tried -12db in Pre mode, was inferior to running in DAC mode. Was originally gonna run my setup without a pre and use the DAC for volume control, but my power amp is faulty and going back, and I got an integrated amp with remote instead. this also means I'm using RCA not balanced XLR like I planned.

Can clearly hear the difference running DAC in pre mode, less presence of soundstage.

I have to say, this DAC sounds sweet, it's my best DAC I own, vs Topping D10s, Behringer UMC204HD audio device, and Fiio E10k.

Connected to Vincent SV500 hybrid tube amp and to hand crafted floorstanding speakers weighing 30kg each.

Next upgrade I wanna trial Denafrips Pontus or similar priced R2R.

Last edited:

Willem

Major Contributor
I think what you were observing is almost certainly due to the effect of loudness differences. If you really wanto identify diferences, you have to refine your methodology because such uncontrolled observations are deceptive. But the long and short is that excellent DACs like this Topping perform well beyond the limits of human hearing: perfect is perfect and there can never be anything better.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a question. I have my D70 in the main system and is being fed via coax. Do I need to update the driver? I noticed Topping has released new ones for the D70 on Aug 6. The D70 hasn't been hooked up w/ USB in 6 months or so. My assumption the driver is only for USB input. Am I wrong?

Veri

Master Contributor
I have a question. I have my D70 in the main system and is being fed via coax. Do I need to update the driver? I noticed Topping has released new ones for the D70 on Aug 6. The D70 hasn't been hooked up w/ USB in 6 months or so. My assumption the driver is only for USB input. Am I wrong?
No you're not wrong. The driver will do nothing when not using it over USB. Also, it only brings stability on latest/modern operating systems.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No you're not wrong. The driver will do nothing when not using it over USB. Also, it only brings stability on latest/modern operating systems.
Veri, thank you the reply. You are one of the most helpful members on ASR.

Chubbychicken

It just went silent with blank display at some point and stayed this way regardless of the amount of tinkering I've tried. I was listening to it in my system for about two hours straight when this happened. Checked the fuse (yes, D70 power socket has a fuse installed), tried replacing power cord, nothing worked. The vendor will be sending it to Topping for diagnostics but I have already requested a refund. This is my third issue with the Topping products and I do not feel like buying from this company anymore. Of course, this could as well be my own personal bad luck, so YMMV. In fact, my DX3 Pro (second replacement unit) has been working fine for the past 6 months and I like it. Except for the random shutdowns which were harmless so far.

P.S. I was using XLR outputs on D70 if that matters, with the output level set at -10 dB.
I had the exact same problem with my Topping D70S. It ran flawlessly for about 2 weeks then completely died. The device was really warm to the touch when it spontaneously failed with a prominent acrid smell that followed.

I ended up returning it. I loved the sound of it but was concerned by the fact a $1000 DAC (In Canadian Dollars) could fail so quickly. Perhaps if their warranty was better I would consider buying it again.

So now I am in search of a new DAC.

Top Bottom