• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of the Topping D70 DAC

levimax

Major Contributor
For anyone reading this and wondering if there's something wrong with the D70, I thought I would make it clear that regarding ground loops or any other type of noise, there is nothing wrong with the D70. My minor ground loop problem is due to the home theater bypass RCA cables from my receiver that are connected to my integrated amp. When these are not connected, even when using a properly grounded cable, the D70 produces no ground loop noise whatsoever.

When you mix a lot of different stuff together, especially in a AV system with unbalanced connections, ground loops can show up and can be hard to fix. While expensive, if you are really being driven crazy, I have found Jenen isolation transformers to be very effective. Don't forget about the Cable TV ground.... it took me months to figure that out and once I did I tried several cheap isolation transformers ... the cheap ones did stop ground loops but killed my TV! https://www.jensen-transformers.com/home-theater/isolators/

tobes

Just ordered the D70.
At present I have the D50 and the Benchmark DAC3 but wanted a second DAC with XLR output (to free up an RCA input on my HPA4 pre for something else).
Will be interesting to compare the DAC3 to D70.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
FYI for anybody thinking of installing a groundbreaker for their D70. I just finished taking mine apart. The power entry module ground pin wire goes directly into the circuit board and not to the case. As far as I can tell, there is no grounding to the case anywhere except a connection from the circuit board to the outer barrel of the RCA coax input on the rear panel. Doesn't look like installing a groundbreaker circuit is going to work here.
Actually, that makes it easier. Substitute the groundbreaker for the wire and Bob’s your uncle.

IslandMD

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Well, since it’s just replacing a wire, you can always easily restore it to stock if you resell. And the diy solution is about 1000% cheaper.:cool:

HDavidson

I tried with TEAC UD (RCA) and no humm. Only D70 gives it. Do you think that I can disconnect the ground contact D70 without problems? :cool:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Does their documentation specify Class I or Class II insulation?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
When you mix a lot of different stuff together, especially in a AV system with unbalanced connections, ground loops can show up and can be hard to fix. While expensive, if you are really being driven crazy, I have found Jenen isolation transformers to be very effective. Don't forget about the Cable TV ground.... it took me months to figure that out and once I did I tried several cheap isolation transformers ... the cheap ones did stop ground loops but killed my TV! https://www.jensen-transformers.com/home-theater/isolators/

I was being driven crazy by a very stubborn hum...long story short, turned out to be the cable tv ground cable outside the house. It wasn't attached properly, and was basically resting on the ground... That took care of it.

HDavidson

Does their documentation specify Class I or Class II insulation?

I'll try to find this info in the documentation. If you ask a question directly to Topping? :confused:

I think Amirm is in contact with them. (?)

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I'll try to find this info in the documentation. If you ask a question directly to Topping? :confused:

I think Amirm is in contact with them. (?)

This was the info I need to answer your question about the ground.

AK4497eq's are set with HLOAD pin at "1" or "0" ? HLOAD pin mean "heavy load".

yodog

Hi guys. I've been lurking and learning for quite some time on this website but this is my first post. I thought I would chime in on this debate.

I bought a D70 a few months ago after reading amirm's excellent review. I was going to get a RME ADI-2 but decided the D70 should be sufficient since I didn't really need some of the RME's extra features. I'm using the D70's XLR outputs to feed an April Music Stello Ai500SE integrated and Aerial Acoustic 7T speakers in a dedicated listening room.

The subjective impressions in this thread about inadequate bass response have been puzzling to me. Let me start by saying this is a wonderful sounding DAC. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the bass output. Both the quantity and quality of the bass output is excellent. In fact, all aspects of this DAC's performance have been superlative. Smooth mids, crystal clear highs. No audible noise or hiss. No clicks when switching sample rates, FLAC, DSD, etc.

I'm very glad I bought the D70. I've had much more expensive DACs in my system and the D70 sounds as good as any of them.

Thank you for this. I will be buying my D70 shortly. Did you get the Bluetooth option?

Does anyone know if the Bluetooth optioned D70 still measures well?

zym1010

Forum Donor
With both Sabaj D5 and Topping D70, I think D70 is a bit hollow and lacking in bass, to some extent.

When I say bass, it's not only drum beats where D5 performs better. Piano keystrokes, the vibration of vocal cords... these all are areas where D5 performs better to my ears, and I suppose to let one feel keystrokes or vibration (rather than only hearing the sound), some decent bass is required.

Regardless, YMMV. The difference between D5 and D70 (with THX AAA 789 amp + XLR connections) is much smaller and more difficult to detect than that between D70 (with JDS Labs Atom amp) and an Apogee Groove.

Without much experience in live performances (so I'm not sure if D5 has more colored bass), right now I can only say "you never know how good the music can sound until you hear it".

wtsz

[QUOTE = "zym1010, post: 228793, członek: 7885"] Zarówno w przypadku Sabaja D5, jak i Topping D70, myślę, że D70 jest nieco pusty i do pewnego stopnia pozbawiony basu.

Kiedy mówię bas, to nie tylko uderzenia perkusji D5 działa lepiej. Klawisze fortepianu, wibracje strun głosowych ... to wszystko są obszary, w których D5 działa lepiej dla moich uszu, i przypuszczam, że aby poczuć naciśnięcia klawiszy lub wibracje (zamiast tylko słyszenia dźwięku), wymagany jest przyzwoity bas.

Niezależnie od tego, YMMV. Różnica między D5 i D70 (z połączeniami THX AAA 789 + XLR) jest znacznie mniejsza i trudniejsza do wykrycia niż między D70 (ze wzmacniaczem JDS Labs Atom) a Apogee Groove.

Bez dużego doświadczenia w występach na żywo (więc nie jestem pewien, czy D5 ma więcej kolorowych basów), teraz mogę tylko powiedzieć „nigdy nie wiesz, jak dobra może brzmieć muzyka, dopóki jej nie usłyszysz”. [/ QUOTE]
Try -12db, mode3

zym1010

Forum Donor
[QUOTE = "zym1010, post: 228793, członek: 7885"] Zarówno w przypadku Sabaja D5, jak i Topping D70, myślę, że D70 jest nieco pusty i do pewnego stopnia pozbawiony basu.

Kiedy mówię bas, to nie tylko uderzenia perkusji D5 działa lepiej. Klawisze fortepianu, wibracje strun głosowych ... to wszystko są obszary, w których D5 działa lepiej dla moich uszu, i przypuszczam, że aby poczuć naciśnięcia klawiszy lub wibracje (zamiast tylko słyszenia dźwięku), wymagany jest przyzwoity bas.

Niezależnie od tego, YMMV. Różnica między D5 i D70 (z połączeniami THX AAA 789 + XLR) jest znacznie mniejsza i trudniejsza do wykrycia niż między D70 (ze wzmacniaczem JDS Labs Atom) a Apogee Groove.

Bez dużego doświadczenia w występach na żywo (więc nie jestem pewien, czy D5 ma więcej kolorowych basów), teraz mogę tylko powiedzieć „nigdy nie wiesz, jak dobra może brzmieć muzyka, dopóki jej nie usłyszysz”. [/ QUOTE]
Try -12db, mode3

I was listening under mode 3 filter. Regarding volume, I guess I did not bother to do it, as with 0dB I can easily achieve volume level matching between D70 and D5 for a fair comparison. But in any case I guess I'm going to sell my D70 for people who like it.

wtsz

[QUOTE = "zym1010, post: 228814, członek: 7885"] Słuchałem w aparacie filtrów uzyskać uczciwe porównanie. Ale w każdym razie myślę, że zamierzam sprzedać mój D70 wymagają, które go lubią. [/ QUOTE]

I only listen in this setting. I have the same opinion as you with 0db

Top Bottom