• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of the Topping D70 DAC

EReich

The 789 has pass-through outputs, I don't know if they are buffered likely not so they are the same as using a Y-cable which you can also do.
Oh yeah! That's a good idea. So D50 to 789 then pass through to Atom. That won't degrade the signal won't it? And assuming that works I can control volume with Atom's knob?

gvl

Major Contributor
Oh yeah! That's a good idea. So D50 to 789 then pass through to Atom. That won't degrade the signal won't it? And assuming that works I can control volume with Atom's knob?

It shouldn't degrade anything. Atom also has RCA outputs, but those are coming after the amp and are also variable level so you don't want to connect the 789 inputs to Atom outputs, but connecting Atom's inputs to 789's pass through outputs is fine.

EReich

It shouldn't degrade anything. Atom also has RCA outputs, but those are coming after the amp and are also variable level so you don't want to connect the 789 inputs to Atom outputs, but connecting Atom's inputs to 789's pass through outputs is fine.
You sir are a genius.. I just pulled the trigger on the D50.. Thanks man I appreciate your help.

bequietjk

Please please please don't buy that crap. Amir has actually shown that, if anything, the shortness of the cable seems to have a slight impact rather than the materials and other mumbo jumbo, and that is only with crap DACs like Modi 2 Uber. On a 'normal' DAC there won't be any change. Read this one:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ent-and-review-of-totaldac-d1-usb-cable.1888/
And maybe this:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ents-of-wireworld-starlight-7-usb-cable.6599/

In any case no audible differences with any of these experiments, given a proper engineered DAC and not a shite one.
For the D70 there is no point buying such snake oil. Freaking hate the AQ brand ripping off consumers world-wide.

@DeepSpace57
I'm chiming in to note that differences can be heard (with my ears and my system, of course) with the change of USB cable from PC to device.

This is using the Khadas Tone Board. The well respected, highly recommended and excellent measuring DAC. Granted, I have other devices in line (ISO REGEN, Singxer F-1).

This is my experience. Enjoy the music ;)

bequietjk

Just really really silly question to such a science-based forum; but somehow wanna ask. I, an user of only usb interface, would like you to learn opinions from the impact of USB cable (particularly silver proportion on its alloy) on overall sound quality.

I have read a few times that you can gain some benefit only if you use a good dac. As i plan to buy D70, just wondering if i need a usb cable like AQ carbon to able to get better sound overall.

Try experimenting with cheaper cables or even extra ones you may have around the house and see if you can spot the difference yourself! I myself would love to experiment with the epic custom cables you may see on the web but as quickly as I'd like to pull the trigger on a Curious or Mad Scientist cable, I thought I would purchase a couple $5 usb cables (Startech brand and Cable Matters). Along with a WireWorld Chroma 8 with it's fancy design @$43.

Look, all I'm saying is if you want find great sound quality it's going to take some experimentation and discovery. That's the beauty of it ^_^. But hey, I'm just some dude on the web lol.

Cheers ^.-

bequietjk

Does anyone have dimensions of this beauty?

@777 Would you be able to get some measurements of the length and width please! I wonder how a Matrix X-SPDIF 2 will fit nestled nicely on top ^_^

chosen_too

Don't worry, it's a great dac, has a friendly sound. Sabre chpsets are more aggressive with your ears.

Gustard x26 with ess9038 never was harsh, exceptional DAC, much better than d50, but too expensive, so I decided to give d70 a try.

Moriarty

Don't worry, it's a great dac, has a friendly sound. Sabre chpsets are more aggressive with your ears.

Thank you for this opinion. Now I'm one step closer to spend my money! :) "Friendly" sound is what I'm looking for, I just can't stand harsh, aggressive or cold, "artificial" sound.

Am I right AK chips sound more friendly due to less IMD comparing to ESS chips?

BTW, did you compare the D70 sound in DAC mode to the preamp mode? Some people here are afraid saturation close to 0 dB can cause some minor problems in DAC mode... Probably not, but confirmation it is not audiable would be nice! :)

Thank you for this opinion. Now I'm one step closer to spend my money! :) "Friendly" sound is what I'm looking for, I just can't stand harsh, aggressive or cold, "artificial" sound.

Am I right AK chips sound more friendly due to less IMD comparing to ESS chips?

BTW, did you compare the D70 sound in DAC mode to the preamp mode? Some people here are afraid saturation close to 0 dB can cause some minor problems in DAC mode... Probably not, but confirmation it is not audiable would be nice! :)

IMD is fabulous at D70 and if you have a resolutely audio system, you will feel that. The instruments has a more decay, the soundstage is more deeper.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
IMD is fabulous at D70 and if you have a resolutely audio system, you will feel that. The instruments has a more decay, the soundstage is more deeper.

Isn't "more decay" a bad thing, less dynamic?

ceausuc

Come on man this is not head-fi. Let's not go there. Nothing what you just said is even remotely reliable information.
Short/stub connections should only make a difference with really badly engineered DACs, as shown by amir in the referenced threads above.

Making people spend money on silvery shiny cables because you ancedotally think (unverified) it makes a difference is not something I like to see here at ASR ... Also the "you cannot hear this on a cheap system" argument is almost as cheap as the referenced cheap system .....

Well... I guess I have a badly engineered DAC: Topping D50 :)

I feel that you did not understand my post at all. Actually I advised the OP to test with a 1$ adapter and then decide if is worth trying other USB cables. + A DIY cable with very good wire like Neotech UPOCC copper is rather cheap.

Not sure I got right your remark about cheap systems ( I'm not a native english speaker ).
But if you are trying to suggest that all audio systems are equally transparent then I guess your audio experience is pretty limited.

Top Bottom