• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of the Topping D70 DAC

Veri

Master Contributor
BTW, have you ever heard about XiangSheng DACs? Their flagship DAC-05B use 2 x AK4497EQ just like Topping D70, same low-jitter receiver, two toroid transformers and costs less. Quite interesting. It would be good if @amirm could measure this DAC too:
https://pl.aliexpress.com/item/32833031505.html
There's really little point in buying an off-brand low-budget DAC with a tube output stage :facepalm: it will measure decidedly inferior, that's for sure.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Tubes generally are not a good indicator of measurable performance, even though I have never actually heard of them.

Moriarty

There's really little point in buying an off-brand low-budget DAC with a tube output stage :facepalm: it will measure decidedly inferior, that's for sure.

This "off-brand" DAC is quite popular in my country (just found out) in DIY circle. These guys change some op-amps, resistors etc. and according to them this DAC play beautiful at the end of the day... Talking about tube output stage, it's optional - you can use direct output if you want. Nice to have such option anyway.

And please, let's stop talking about valves as some kind of disease, please :). I have a valve amplifier - love its sound - so I'm pretty immune to such statements;). I know where I'm, I respect this "tubes are audio satan" cult present here, but I have my ears and I know what I hear, so... Let's better not continue this topic and simply avoid it in future, OK? Peace & love! :)

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
This "off-brand" DAC is quite popular in my country (just found out) in DIY circle. These guys change some op-amps, resistors etc. and according to them this DAC play beautiful at the end of the day... Talking about tube output stage, it's optional - you can use direct output if you want. Nice to have such option anyway.
Fair enough :)! was not obvious to me it was in fact optional, good to hear. Some DIY circles eventually grow out to very respectable brands (Aune is a good example).

And please, let's stop talking about valves as some kind of disease, please :). I have a valve amplifier - love its sound - so I'm pretty immune to such statements;). I know where I'm, I respect this "tubes are audio satan" cult present here, but I have my ears and I know what I hear, so... Let's better not continue this topic and simply avoid it in future, OK? Peace & love! :)
Entirely anecdotal, but for me they always seemed to have a self-noise that was higher compared to a tube-less circuit. I honestly detest noise and hum. So far from memory only one of Amir's reviews, the Schiit Saga Tube Pre-amp, had truly respectable performance in tube mode. But honestly, when one says "very good performance, for a tube" it does sound like you are in fact bottlenecking your entire set-up just for the 'fun' of having that glowing valve in the circuit.

But yes, tastes vary and some I'm sure love their tubey set-up. I just respectfully disagree it adds anything positive at all to the sound.

DeepSpace57

Its a combination of coupons.

Its from this listing:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32956305601.html?spm=2114.search0104.3.34.6639585eC3mNOE&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_1_10065_10068_319_10059_10884_317_10887_10696_321_322_10084_453_10083_454_10103_10618_10307_537_536,searchweb201603_53,ppcSwitch_0&algo_expid=c3a765cf-1af8-4d64-b245-1b2f038edf29-5&algo_pvid=c3a765cf-1af8-4d64-b245-1b2f038edf29&transAbTest=ae803_5

Anyway, I just checked, the combination I mentioned above is not possible as the $10 coupon will expire before the $36 combination is active.

It lists a combination coupon of $6 for every $65 spent. If you have the Aliexpress "Select Coupons", you can get a total of $36 off the total spent.
The sale list price is $449.99, so you can deduct a total of $36 off that, leaving a final discounted price of $413.99.

Considering that its free shipping and no extra hidden credit card fees, its a pretty good price imo.

cannot see any 6 USD coupon on the link. Yeah, there is a coupon like 6$; after a click, all i see ;

Select coupon
Save up to US $6.00 on orders over US $65.00

I SEE ; 2USD COUPON HERE!

then;

10 usd
5usd
2 usd coupons.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
The 'Select Coupons' need to be exchanged using 'coins'.

Moriarty

I think you'll have better luck performance wise with a twin ES9038PRO set up, though not as budget in terms of price.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33023658915.html?spm=2114.search0104.3.2.4f08558bdNQELW

Thanks, looks nice, but I somehow don't wanna buy DAC with ESS chips... Maybe it's just prejudice, dunno, but I simply don't want to go this way. Now my heart beat stronger to AKM :).

According to many opinions AKM chips generate less intermodulation distortions (because of "ESS hump"?), sounds more gently, silky. Since I listen to mainly classic music and acoustic jazz, I think it is more safe choice to me.

Talking about Topping D70 vs. XiangSheng DAC I mentioned above - I still think Topping is better choice, despite higher price. I think Topping is more focused on my satisfaction as a client - this D70 is very well done, with really good, expensive parts, just like these two fast AccuSilicon femtoclocks (strong advantage over XiangSheng IMHO). I like Topping attitude, they really care, good engineering is worth my money.

xevman

I currently own a DX7s. If I buy this will it work without having to install a new driver? I figure since both dacs use the XMOS XU208 inteface I don't have to change anything.

Veri

Master Contributor
I currently own a DX7s. If I buy this will it work without having to install a new driver? I figure since both dacs use the XMOS XU208 inteface I don't have to change anything.
Rather than the XMOS interface, what is important is that they are signed for one manufacturer. As long as they do not change this vendor id/VID, the same driver should keep working, as has been my experience. It might be worth installing the D70 driver if it is newer though. D70 released with xmos software V4.47.0 from looking at their support page.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Thanks, looks nice, but I somehow don't wanna buy DAC with ESS chips... Maybe it's just prejudice, dunno, but I simply don't want to go this way. Now my heart beat stronger to AKM :).

According to many opinions AKM chips generate less intermodulation distortions (because of "ESS hump"?), sounds more gently, silky. Since I listen to mainly classic music and acoustic jazz, I think it is more safe choice to me.

Talking about Topping D70 vs. XiangSheng DAC I mentioned above - I still think Topping is better choice, despite higher price. I think Topping is more focused on my satisfaction as a client - this D70 is very well done, with really good, expensive parts, just like these two fast AccuSilicon femtoclocks (strong advantage over XiangSheng IMHO). I like Topping attitude, they really care, good engineering is worth my money.
If you're only comfortable with Shenzhenaudio, you're in luck as they are listing the D70 for the sale. Shipping is via DHL.
In an optimsed coupon stacking sequence, this is what you can expect at Checkout:

Screenshot_2019-06-17-15-20-36~2.png

Veri

Master Contributor
If you're only comfortable with Shenzhenaudio, you're in luck as they are listing the D70 for the sale. Shipping is via DHL.
In an optimsed coupon stacking sequence, this is what you can expect at Checkout:

View attachment 27796
Near $400 total! Not bad as far as savings go.

Last edited:

FreaK

Nice! In my case, unfortunately, it's around USD 440 :/.

I could get it down to $419.99.

Question: is a pair of XLR interconnect cable's included in the box or we have to buy it separately? I'm gonna pair it with the THX 789, i guess it's not included in either of them.

Veri

Master Contributor
Question: is a pair of XLR interconnect cable's included in the box or we have to buy it separately? I'm gonna pair it with the THX 789, i guess it's not included in either of them.

Afraid not. You'd still need a pair of XLRs.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Near $400 total! Not bad as far as savings go.

You're getting almost 20% off of a pretty new to market product. I think one is not likely to see this price point again until perhaps the November 11 sales.

* But I must reiterate that the coupon stacks I used here are more or less optimised. Unless you have been collecting those coupons regularly, not everyone will reach that discount value. *

Top Bottom