• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Review and Measurements of the Topping D70 DAC

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Patreon Donor
Hello everyone ! I am new to the forum.
Topping D70 just arrived. Finish is exemplar. I test it in mode USB- XLR. Top !
It takes 1 or 2 weeks to make him heat. Too early to say, but already Top!

I put the filters on it as they are at Topping.

1-2 lin. phase

3-4 min. phase

6 mix. phase

View attachment 27073

For the moment I prefer FIR 2 - Slow lin. phase.

I did not find how to switch to pure mode DAC, without pre amplifier.

To be continued.

Sorry for my english, I use webtraduction. :))
So, what is better: traditional, original or natural sound?!!

So, what is better: traditional, original or natural sound?!!
Filter 5 (super slow roll-off) is a filter almost "NOS". Function good for HD files. For the rest, it depends.
After a few days this dac begins to play the music. And play well .

I have not tested as a pre. I can not say anything about this function.

Last edited:

DCoffset is 0.4mV on both channels for RCA output. The sound from the first second is fabulous. Is at light years to Dx3Pro for example. Maybe is the best sound of what I've heard so far. It is at the same level like 10k$ dacs. The buit quality is excellent, like Auralic Altair.

Attachments

DCoffset is 0.4mV on both channels for RCA output. The sound from the first second is fabulous. Is at light years to Dx3Pro for example. Maybe is the best sound of what I've heard so far. It is at the same level like 10k$ dacs. The buit quality is excellent, like Auralic Altair.
Really, is there a such big difference in sound between D70 and DX3 Pro?

@777, @HDavidson
Thanks for impressions! Have you had the opportunity to listen to the RME ADI-2 DAC? If so, do you hear any difference in sound?
I don't know nothing about RME ADI-2 but I was listening Auralic Vega, Auralic Altair, MSB Analog DAC, dCS Vivaldi and many, many others. D70 is up in this list. I did not expect this. At 500$ is a bargain.

Veri

Major Contributor
Patreon Donor
I don't know nothing about RME ADI-2 but I was listening Auralic Vega, Auralic Altair, MSB Analog DAC, dCS Vivaldi and many, many others. D70 is up in this list. I did not expect this. At 500$ is a bargain.
Let the new toy syndrome wear off a little :D But great to hear such praise, thanks for reporting back @777

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Patreon Donor
I sent an email to the service Topping and voila the repence:

"When you shut off the power, press the SEL button, and then turn on the power, you will go into the system setting, choose the mode DAC, then you can use D70 as a native DAC."

.. and it works, super ;)
They are quick to answer at Topping.
Good to know, but why would someone want to use the Topping D70 as a DAC (hence full volume) instead of a pre-amp, since @amirm showed us that distortion rises >-12dBFS?

vkvedam

Patreon Donor
Thanks for the findings, did you ever audition D50? Would be interesting to know if you have.

Top Bottom