• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of the Chord Hugo 1 DAC & HP Amp

Kuronuma

Does the somewhat low attenuation past 22kHz cause any problems? I understand the apple dongle (which is what I’m currently using) has better stopband attenuation. I’m thinking of getting the Hugo mainly for the headphone crossfeed function, but it’d be a shame if it has more issues with aliasing than what i have now.

TabCam

I'm sorry, Amir, but your conclusion is really inconsistent. You have recommended other products with high prices and barely adequate performance. The Hugo was expensive but its performance is much more than adequate, and was there another product as good or better for the money in 2014?. I feel you have let your dislike of its styling and interface, which some welcome as a relief from the boring "me too" mainstream, overcome your normally objective judgement.
I would even throw in, why not recommend it purely on engineering prowess? It makes looking into the tables questionable.

The Hugo 1 gets no recommendation due to personal objections:
Conclusions
Typical of Chord products, even the version one of Hugo is competently designed, approaching performance of desktop DACs. As noted though, I can't stand their user interface, the looks, or the sky high price. So can't recommend it personally but you have the data to use as you see fit.

I know for a fact that the Hugo 1 does not flinch (produce pops, or any other strange sounds) when turned on, off, get connected or disconnected via USB or changing sample rate. The Topping E30 probably measures a little better but behaves far worse under such operating conditions, especially the last one. That makes it a far worse device in my book as far as engineering goes.

You can dislike the interface as well but I see when there is input as an indicator led is turned on. Not ideal but the Topping D30 Pro you cannot see if the RCA, XLR or both outputs are being used so if it is silent, you have no clue. It follows that engineering and user interface should not be mixed in recommended or not!

Last edited:
Top Bottom