• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Spectra X DAC & Amp

TrueToSource

Quick note about Spectra vs Spectra X:

The Spectra X is the result of NextDrive's R&D work to refine and optimize the original Spectra. It features the same ESS Sabre 9018Q2C chip, but optimizations were performed to reduce noise, distortion and power consumption, as well as firmware tweaks to allow broader compatibility (ex. Switch).

For most of us, the Spectra is going to be a great choice for a hi-res dongle, while for those who demand the best in terms of noise and distortion reduction, the Spectra X is the one to grab.

- TrueToSource Customer Care Team

Azeendeen

Quick note about Spectra vs Spectra X:

The Spectra X is the result of NextDrive's R&D work to refine and optimize the original Spectra. It features the same ESS Sabre 9018Q2C chip, but optimizations were performed to reduce noise, distortion and power consumption, as well as firmware tweaks to allow broader compatibility (ex. Switch).

For most of us, the Spectra is going to be a great choice for a hi-res dongle, while for those who demand the best in terms of noise and distortion reduction, the Spectra X is the one to grab.

For the spectra X can I use the USB C dongle version or the USB A with a USB C adapter, can I use it on the nintendo switch tablet itself ( NOT referring to the switch dock)

TrueToSource

Hi Azeendeen, either option will work. Just make sure the USB-C adapter is OTG compatible (some are for charging only). You may also need to flash the firmware for use with console games. Write me at care at truetosource dot co so we can walk you through it if needed.

Ngd3

Any Spectra X owners able to confirm that it plays nice with low impedance IEMs? I'm inclined to believe the OI measurement but don't want to buy if it really is 10 ohms

TrueToSource

Hi!

We're TrueToSource, official Amazon seller of the NextDrive Spectra series DACs. You can also ask on Amazon Q&A. The question gets sent to hundreds of Spectra customers so you should get some good feedback.

NextDrive also offers firmware optimized for lower impedance earphones which you can flash. It tweaks parameters in the Sabre SoC to get the best performance out of IEMs, etc. Just contact us either via Amazon or via email at care at truetosource dot co (no m :)) and we'll help you out with it.

snip3r77

I don't know as the company sent it to me. The answer on 10 ohm though is from a seller who may not know any better.

Do you think at $10, apple dongle should be the highly recommended dongle here?

EwartDunlop

Forum Donor
I got a Spectra-X (usb-c version) to use with my Moto Z4 and Shure SE535-CL. These IEMs are only 20 Ohm. I get a significant amount of hiss with these. I also don't think the sound quality is any better than just using the phone directly. I am going send back the Spectra-X.

Top Bottom