• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Speaka USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier

tili

So far yes! Mine arrived this afternoon and I did some quick tests. So far the two are identical! Even the box is the same size, shape and color. The back has writing in (British) English, German and Italian so cleary targeted toward the European market as with Speaka. I will do more testing later but for now, I say we have found its twin! Thanks for searching for it. :)
great news! i've been refreshing ASR frequently for that product. the bargain speaka dac is not a bargain when it's not available to purchase

tili

I couldn’t wait anymore for the measurements and gave the order for Xtrempro :rolleyes:. This morning they had 7 in stock and when I gave the order there were just 3 left so I didn’t want to miss the chance...

D

Deleted member 1514

I couldn’t wait anymore for the measurements and gave the order for Xtrempro :rolleyes:. This morning they had 7 in stock and when I gave the order there were just 3 left so I didn’t want to miss the chance...

Same here. Doesn't look like there's anything else that competes with it for the price. The Speaka USB DAC seemed like it was around $30, the $10 seemed like a clearance sale of some sort.

Luke

If you're in the US, you can get a refurb Audioengine D3 for $45: https://audioengineusa.com/shop/factory-refurbished/d3-24-bit-dacheadphone-amp-2/

Someone I trust on Reddit said the Speaka USB DAC is the same as the Dragonfly Black 1.2

Here's Archimago's measurements of it and with some comparisons to the D3: http://archimago.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/measurements-audioquest-dragonfly-v12.html

The output-impedance might be a problem if Archimago's measurements are right, but confusingly Audioengine lists the output-impedance as 2 Ohms, and when I mentioned Archimago's review, they said "The output impedance of the D3 is 2 ohm, so the reviewer in that article is mistaken."

So you guys might be better off waiting for Amir to measure the D3. Looks like it will be a better performing USB DAC (hopefully the output-impedance is indeed 2 Ohms), and for not much more money. At least for now while there's $45 refurb D3s :)

D

Deleted member 1514

The output-impedance might be a problem if Archimago's measurements are right, but confusingly Audioengine lists the output-impedance as 2 Ohms, and when I mentioned Archimago's review, they said "The output impedance of the D3 is 2 ohm, so the reviewer in that article is mistaken."

So you guys might be better off waiting for Amir to measure the D3. Looks like it will be a better performing USB DAC (hopefully the output-impedance is indeed 2 Ohms), and for not much more money. At least for now while there's $45 refurb D3s :)

I don't see where he measured the output impedance, I think he just mistook the recommend minimum headphone impedance(10 Ohms) as being the spec'd output impedance(2 Ohms).

Jimster480

Major Contributor
It's in his Audioengine D3 review: http://archimago.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/measurements-audioengine-d3-usb-dac.html

Near the bottom:
"Addendum: (January 30, 2016)
Just did my own measurements of output impedance using 1kHz signal and 20-ohm load, maximum volume 92% to avoid clipping. I get an effective output impedance of 11.5-ohms. Close to the rated 10-ohm spec."

I should have linked that review too, sorry.

I thought you meant the Topping D3 for a second.... That would be a cool review also as it looks similar to the D30 + A30 in a single box.

D

Deleted member 1514

It's in his Audioengine D3 review: http://archimago.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/measurements-audioengine-d3-usb-dac.html

Near the bottom:
"Addendum: (January 30, 2016)
Just did my own measurements of output impedance using 1kHz signal and 20-ohm load, maximum volume 92% to avoid clipping. I get an effective output impedance of 11.5-ohms. Close to the rated 10-ohm spec."

I should have linked that review too, sorry.

My bad for reading that in the review. That's a disappointing measurement.

Rthomas

Forum Donor
The only Audioquest item I like are their Nighthawk headphones. They're very competently designed. Especially distortions are low.
Alas, the designer gave it a very muffled, overly warm sound signature by choice. But fortunately, it can be remedied with a pad swap. I put Shure SRH1540 pads on the Hawks and now they're amazing.

The Nighthawks suck in stock form.i was shocked to see an Audio quest factory tour that showed a glimpse of Skylar's (nighthawk designer) office with an SR009 on his desk. How can someone use those and think the tuning of the NH sounds good?

tili

So far yes! Mine arrived this afternoon and I did some quick tests. So far the two are identical! Even the box is the same size, shape and color. The back has writing in (British) English, German and Italian so cleary targeted toward the European market as with Speaka. I will do more testing later but for now, I say we have found its twin! Thanks for searching for it. :)
amir, will you post the measurements you did?

Mike

My friend and I received our Xtreme Pro sticks. Sounds good to our ears. They drive my M1060 and K7XX very well. It'll be my work/travel DAC now.

Thanks amirin and Luke. It's good to to know if the stuff we're buying is Schiit or not :)

tili

I just received my Xtrempro X1. Should I use PC volume control or Spotify’s volume control by maxing the Windows volume? It says this on their website:
  • 64-position (computer-controlled) analog volume control
I was hoping the USB DAC would help me get rid of the pop noise when skipping songs in Spotify but it didn’t go away. Oh well...

Another question: I have an old 2011 Razer Blackwidow keyboard that has a USB passthrough port. Do you think there would be a difference if I plugged the DAC into that?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Another question: I have an old 2011 Razer Blackwidow keyboard that has a USB passthrough port. Do you think there would be a difference if I plugged the DAC into that?
If it works reliably, no. :)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I just received my Xtrempro X1. Should I use PC volume control or Spotify’s volume control by maxing the Windows volume? It says this on their website:
  • 64-position (computer-controlled) analog volume control
I can do some testing to find out. Too much to do at the moment though. :)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Do you have an educated guess for now? :) (who else would if not you)
Max Spotify volume or max Windows volume?
I would max Spotify and use the Windows volume specially since there are shortcut keys for those.

duo8

I'd assume the OS controls the volume through the audio device whenever possible. So it'd tell the DAC to change volume, the USB receiver in it will process the signal and tell the headphone amp chip to adjust the volume accordingly.

Top Bottom