• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Sound BlasterX G6

ReaderZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There are a couple of possible solutions to your problem. First would be to go to Windows Device Manager and set the power options for the USB ports to always on. That fixed the problem with my PC. If that doesn't work for some reason you can use an optical cable to the G6 and plug the G6 USB port into a separate USB charge device (I've used the Apple one that came with my Iphone and also an ASUS one I had for something..). That will eliminate the power disconnects completely. Good Luck!

@claw91 I agree with JeffGB, since you can't return it, optic is your only bet, if you are on something like laptop, then RMA this one and sell the new one.

ImFilippo

Hi, I'm using the sound blasterx G6 with my Moondrop Starfield (IEM) in Low Gain Mode (direct mode) and my volume range is from 1 to maximum 20, after which it becomes so loud that I can't use the iem anymore. Is it the same for you?
It is really a low range, if for example I have to concentrate on something I have to set the volume to 2% or otherwise it becomes a "demanding" listening.

JeffGB

Hi, I'm using the sound blasterx G6 with my Moondrop Starfield (IEM) in Low Gain Mode (direct mode) and my volume range is from 1 to maximum 20, after which it becomes so loud that I can't use the iem anymore. Is it the same for you?
It is really a low range, if for example I have to concentrate on something I have to set the volume to 2% or otherwise it becomes a "demanding" listening.
I tried to use the G6 on low gain with it's own volume control into a power amplifier. I found that the volume control was not fine enough and it would occasionally be bumped in Windows, resulting in too high a volume so I purchased a Schiit Heresy headphone amp/preamp and use it's volume control instead which works fine.

soctap

Good morning to everyone. I have the AE7 sound card and yesterday a friend of mine gave me a Dac G6 as a gift. Trying both I noticed that the G6 in volume is louder than the AE7. Is this normal guys? It seemed very strange to me ......

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm considering getting the G6, how would it go driving the Denon D7000?
Hi, I think it would drive them no problems, because according to the specs the D7000 is only 25 ohm with 108dB/mw, so they're sensitive headphones, not hard to drive, so should be able to drive them fine.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
B-Stock G6 are currently £69.99 in the UK...

https://uk.creative.com/p/b-stock/sound-blasterx-g6-b-stock

That seems like a bit of a bargain, given Amir's review.
Wow, yeah, that's great value! B-stock I guess means either small cosmetic damage or returned items. G6 is quite buggy on some systems, but I'm sure that's more of a software/firmware issue than a hardware issue, so I think it's probably safe to buy a B-stock item rather than a new one.

D

Deleted member 22273

Somebody have tryed this with beyer 250ohm?
Sold my E5 this summer. Used it with DT770-250
Maybe G6,xbox, deezer hifi is a good and easy setup?

0%_Audiophile

Somebody have tryed this with beyer 250ohm?
Sold my E5 this summer. Used it with DT770-250
Maybe G6,xbox, deezer hifi is a good and easy setup?
I can use G6 with DT990 which is 600 Ohm (just have tried borrowed wifes headphones), even more - Low Gain is enough, switched to High and can not listen to them on 50%+ volume, very loud.

JeffGB

Have any of you tried the USBCMDMasterInstaller_3.4.92.00.exe? So far I don't have any problems with just using it for music, direct setting, asio drivers for windows 10. No clicks or pops or other weird issues. I use it at -2.5db windows volume and output to a Schiit Heresy driving a Crown XLS 1500. I had been using the built-in windows UAC2 drivers after having problems with all of the Creative drivers.

pongpaktech

Hi, recently received my SBX G6 and i'm really enjoying it so far. I have a couple questions about measurements and stuff though since I'm pretty new to audio measurement values and such

1) In the measurements amirm mentioned that to get good S/N they needed to drop the output by 2 dBFS digitally. What does this mean in terms of the windows volume control? I'm assuming its like from 100/100 to a lower value

2) Kind of related to question 1. How do windows volume values translate to dB? I'm using my SBX G6 with the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Plus and right now I need to set to to a very low 6/100 for comfortable listening. 10/100 volume is at the max that I can stand. I'm thinking of either buying something like the iFi iEMatch or building my own attenuator following this DIY-Audio-Haven article: https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/headphone-attenuation-adapter/

In case this is useful info on the Beyer Custom One Pro Plus: Impedance is 16 ohms and the sensitivity is 96dB/mw with more info here: https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-a-i/custom-one-pro/

Edit 1: Forgot to mention that I'm using Sound Blaster Command version 34.93.3 with firmware version 2.0

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
Kind of related to question 1. How do windows volume values translate to dB? I'm using my SBX G6 with the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Plus and right now I need to set to to a very low 6/100 for comfortable listening. 10/100 volume is at the max that I can stand. I'm thinking of either buying something like the iFi iEMatch or building my own attenuator following this DIY-Audio-Haven article
I'm confused, are you not using the volume control knob of the sound blaster rather than only relying on windows volume?

pongpaktech

I'm confused, are you not using the volume control knob of the sound blaster rather than only relying on windows volume?

The knob controls Windows' volume

Also one more question. what do the filters do and which one should I choose for the least coloration

pongpaktech

Have any of you tried the USBCMDMasterInstaller_3.4.92.00.exe? So far I don't have any problems with just using it for music, direct setting, asio drivers for windows 10. No clicks or pops or other weird issues. I use it at -2.5db windows volume and output to a Schiit Heresy driving a Crown XLS 1500. I had been using the built-in windows UAC2 drivers after having problems with all of the Creative drivers.

I'm on version 34.93.3 and no problems here with either the SPDIF out to my receiver or headphone jack for Beyer Custom One Pro Plus

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, recently received my SBX G6 and i'm really enjoying it so far. I have a couple questions about measurements and stuff though since I'm pretty new to audio measurement values and such

1) In the measurements amirm mentioned that to get good S/N they needed to drop the output by 2 dBFS digitally. What does this mean in terms of the windows volume control? I'm assuming its like from 100/100 to a lower value

2) Kind of related to question 1. How do windows volume values translate to dB? I'm using my SBX G6 with the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Plus and right now I need to set to to a very low 6/100 for comfortable listening. 10/100 volume is at the max that I can stand. I'm thinking of either buying something like the iFi iEMatch or building my own attenuator following this DIY-Audio-Haven article: https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/headphone-attenuation-adapter/

In case this is useful info on the Beyer Custom One Pro Plus: Impedance is 16 ohms and the sensitivity is 96dB/mw with more info here: https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-a-i/custom-one-pro/

Edit 1: Forgot to mention that I'm using Sound Blaster Command version 34.93.3 with firmware version 2.0
Here you go in Windows:
Windows Sound Control Panel.jpg

then you right click on the Speakers volume and choose the "Decibel" option:
windows decibels.jpg

I like running mine at 79% or aka -3.5dB to ensure some extra overhead.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I do 82% (-3.00dB) myself :D
Ha, I'm more conservative! But in my mind there is at least some method to the madness - making sure I'm accounting for intersample overs not going above the -2.4dB as well as maybe accounting for unit to unit variation in terms of when that -2.4dB clipping would occur.

Top Bottom