• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Sound BlasterX G6

Graphite85

Hi,

I want to replace my X AE-5 (which has been fantastic) with the SoundBlaster G6. The reason being planned case modifications will no longer let me use a PCIe soundcard. I just want to know whether I'm in for a downgrade, upgrade or no noticeable change? I use the X AE-5 with a pair of HiFiMan HE400i. Will the G6 be as powerful as the AE5 over USB power? What sort of latency issues might I face over USB vs PCIe? Thanks.

Graphite85

Does anyone use it with Hifi 400i and Senn 650? I'm looking to buy a dac/amp to use it with my desktop , mostly for music listening and movies but I'm not sure this one has enough power for these headphones. Some users say it's power is limited with USB and it's not different from FiiO K3 . Yet this review says it's kinda ok ,but on the other hand K3 reviews says it isnt't enough.

I would like to know also as I too own HE440i. The reason I'm sticking with Creative is for the virtual surround for gaming, none of the audiophile brands offer sound processing for desktop gaming like Creative. I currently have the X AE5 and it has plenty of volume power with the HE440i. Just need to know how the G6 compares...

Tup3x

I'm fairly sure that AE-5 has much more power for headphone out.

Tup3x

Graphite85

I see but is the G6 underpowered enough that you would not want to pair HE400i with it? The OP mentioned using the HE400i with the G6 and it having plenty of power: "
Switching to Hifiman HE-400i on one loud track, I thought I was hearing static which is the signal of clipping. There was plenty of volume although the sound did get bright towards the end."

Can they recommend?

Razael

Hey,
you can use ASIO with foobar or just VB-Audio ASIO Bridge... please check it. I have tested it with Audio In Motion SC808 (Sonic imaginery labs 994 + 2x Burson V6 Vivid) and looks not bad. For 130 euro it is very good DAC.

Last edited:

Badger

I don't have the HE400i, but I do have an HE4XX as well as HD6XX and both run out of my g6 without issue (as in very loud, no distortion). Amir's subjective sections of his reviews are him trying to blast the thing way louder than normal listening levels.

Veri

Master Contributor
Amir's subjective sections of his reviews are him trying to blast the thing way louder than normal listening levels.
Well, yep. He keeps going until he hears distortion, or the amp clipping before even that :D It's not particularly realistic listening level BUT if Amir says it goes ear bleeding loud without problems you know it can drive basically any load lol.

Subjective review section is just that anyway. Subjective :) my listening habits are not your listening habits.

LinuxGuru

Hi!

What optical to analog (RCA) + analog to optical converters would you recommend for this Sound BlasterX G?
Stereo is enough, I don't need 5.1.

I found these:
Swissonic Converter DA 24/192
Swissonic Converter AD 24/192

https://www.thomann.de/intl/lv/swissonic_converter_da_24_192.htm
https://www.thomann.de/intl/lv/swissonic_converter_ad_24_192.htm

Yet none of them specifies s/n ratio.
There are a lot of similar on Aliexpress where "signal to noise ratio" translated (literally) as "Sex noise ratio" ;)

Thanks in advance.

Screen Shot 2019-07-25 at 10.49.25.jpg

Veri

Master Contributor
Hi!

What optical to analog (RCA) + analog to optical converters would you recommend for this Sound BlasterX G?
Stereo is enough, I don't need 5.1

Can you better explain what exactly it is you need? You want analog to optical to then feed optical to sound blaster..? Why exactly?

Tup3x

Can you better explain what exactly it is you need? You want analog to optical to then feed optical to sound blaster..? Why exactly?
Kinda weird thing to do... Since G6 obviously has line in (and optical in).

Razael

G6 has ADC - 114 SNR, i have tested the same sounds using Tidal master and Hifiman Sundara and it is so ****** ... Old Xonar D2X has much better ADC. The only one advantage of g6 is that you can connect it directly using usb and then you will achieve very good performance with ASIO.

iazriel

I was wondering... I am buying a DT 770 pro 250 ohm soon and I have a dilemma. Go for the G6 straight connecting it via optical with my mobo, or use my onboard dac (SupremeFX Realtek S1220A) along with a JDS Atom amp via RCA and call it a day? I am interested in the better sound quality and adequate headphone drive. Thanks!

LinuxGuru

Kinda weird thing to do... Since G6 obviously has line in (and optical in).

I need a PC sound interface for Cordell distortion magnifier, which I'm going to use with ARTA software.
Somehow I'm overlooked that it has combo (1 x ⅛″ Line In/mini TOSLINK In Combo Jack) + (1 x ⅛″ Line Out/mini TOSLINK Out Combo Jack).
Possibly, I have to glue sticky copper foil inside to make a screen and solder ceramic caps on the USB power line.

If anyone opened BlasterX G6 box (which seems to be plastic, not metal), or have any other suggestion, including other hardware, I'll be glad to know.

PS. Article about Cordell distortion magnifier is copyrighted so I can't upload it, anyway, there is a link to LinearAudio magazine, its available as a digital download for 1.99 Euro.
https://linearaudio.net/article-detail/2070

Last edited:

AnestisMania

ok question is there any reason to buy the sound blaster g6?
im useing the sound blaster xi fi hd via optical out and im ok for now is there any benefit getting the g6 over the Xi Fi hd for my hi fi system?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I need a PC sound interface for Cordell distortion magnifier, which I'm going to use with ARTA software.
Somehow I'm overlooked that it has combo (1 x ⅛″ Line In/mini TOSLINK In Combo Jack) + (1 x ⅛″ Line Out/mini TOSLINK Out Combo Jack).
Possibly, I have to glue sticky copper foil inside to make a screen and solder ceramic caps on the USB power line.

If anyone opened BlasterX G6 box (which seems to be plastic, not metal), or have any other suggestion, including other hardware, I'll be glad to know.

PS. Article about Cordell distortion magnifier is copyrighted so I can't upload it, anyway, there is a link to LinearAudio magazine, its available as a digital download for 1.99 Euro.
https://linearaudio.net/article-detail/2070
Why not get something like focusrite 2pre or qa401? Cheaper you can get focurite Scarlett 2i2.

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
ok question is there any reason to buy the sound blaster g6?
im useing the sound blaster xi fi hd via optical out and im ok for now is there any benefit getting the g6 over the Xi Fi hd for my hi fi system?
Short answer: No

deadchip12

I just returned the dx3 pro due to the fear of failure and am considering the g6. How is the soundstage (in non-surround mode) on the g6 and will it not alter the sound signature of my headphone (fidelio x2hr)? I tried the e10k before and somehow the soundstage feels narrower and its warm sound makes the already warm x2hr kinda muddy. The dx3 pro brought back the airy soundstage but honesly I’m hard pressed to find any difference in sound quality between dx3 pro and my 7-year-old dolby usb sound card. Would have gone for the gsx 1000 instead of the g6 if the gsx worked with consoles and because people claim the gsx has better 7.1, wider soundstage and airy sound vs the g6.

Veri

Master Contributor
honesly I’m hard pressed to find any difference in sound quality between dx3 pro and my 7-year-old dolby usb sound card. Would have gone for the gsx 1000 instead of the g6 if the gsx worked with consoles and because people claim the gsx has better 7.1, wider soundstage and airy sound vs the g6.

The G6 will again sound the same as the DX3 pro and the 7-year old dolby usb sound card. That's the thing with proper, non-broken gear, they should all sound transparent. Those subjective claims about sound stage and "airier" sound are the typical audiophile bullshit.

Get the G6 if you need/want its features, otherwise you won't really hear any improvements really.

Top Bottom