• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Sound BlasterX G6

IBJamon

Hi there! I really appreciate your resources here; it's quite excellent. Your review of this item has me considering this instead of a Topping after my NX4 (pre-DSD) fried (shorting amplified output with DAC output is bad, friends).

I typically use WASAPI for critical music listening, but I see that line-out needs to be turned down 2db to sounds its best. Can this be done digitally, like with equalizerAPO, or does this mean I need to keep the volume at 98 and use directsound? Or is there an analog way to do this?

I have a Koss ESP/95X coming, so I love the idea of an affordable DAC with such excellent measurements. Unfortunately, my budget is slim since most of the money went to my Koss, so ~$150 or less for a DAC is best.

When I had the Topping, it sounded excellent with music, but was flaky at best for everything else. Sometimes youtubes would stutter or slow down, games didn't always work, and so on. Since I game as well as listen to music, I am hoping that this device could be the all-in-one I am hoping for. As is, I've had to game with onboard sound, while listening to music with my now fried Topping.

I have both CD rips and 96k/24b and 192k/24b recordings, so a source that can do all of those well is important to me.

Also, has anyone tested this device while using a powered USB hub? I know it might add noise/length, but the powered USB might also possibly alleviate this power issue?

Thank you for your time!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I typically use WASAPI for critical music listening, but I see that line-out needs to be turned down 2db to sounds its best. Can this be done digitally, like with equalizerAPO, or does this mean I need to keep the volume at 98 and use directsound? Or is there an analog way to do this?
Thanks for the kind words. You can use the equalizer. I have not used it so can't say how but I am sure there is an overall gain setting.

IBJamon

Thanks for the kind words. You can use the equalizer. I have not used it so can't say how but I am sure there is an overall gain setting.

Thank you for the reply! What do you think about a higher-powered USB port? Would that help, or is that chasing windmills?

IBJamon

I have a pair of Koss ESP/95X coming. They are electrostatic, and have vanishingly low distortion. One annoyance I have is that to adjust the volume, you have to twist both knobs together. If you were me, and you owned the G6 (I don't yet) would you consider the headphone out to be good enough quality to use here (the input impedence is quite high, I suspect) so that I can use the simpler volume knob, or would you suggest I I 'deal with it' and use line out for the higher quality connection?

IBJamon

And they are here (the Koss). They sound quite incredible even with onboard sound. I do look forward to something better!

IBJamon

He has a dedicated thread for the DAC portion already. It's incredibly good for the price, though you can do a lot better for a little more money with Topping.

IBJamon

Can I just turn the volume knob to eliminate the distortion or do I have to do something fancy like foobar volume levels? I don't want to exchange one form of distortion for another.

IBJamon

I got mine yesterday (2, my wife got one too) and so far so good. Thanks for this review - I never would have suspected Creative actually made a good sounding product!

Based on the measurements, what would you recommend using for my e-stat headphones, the headphone or line out? Thanks!

Veri

Master Contributor
I never would have suspected Creative actually made a good sounding product!

Based on the measurements, what would you recommend using for my e-stat headphones, the headphone or line out? Thanks!

Hahah :D

I would recommend line-out definitely. Unless you want to use the headphone out as a pre-out of sorts.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

hrseldon

Does anyone use it with Hifi 400i and Senn 650? I'm looking to buy a dac/amp to use it with my desktop , mostly for music listening and movies but I'm not sure this one has enough power for these headphones. Some users say it's power is limited with USB and it's not different from FiiO K3 . Yet this review says it's kinda ok ,but on the other hand K3 reviews says it isnt't enough.

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Does anyone use it with Hifi 400i and Senn 650? I'm looking to buy a dac/amp to use it with my desktop , mostly for music listening and movies but I'm not sure this one has enough power for these headphones. Some users say it's power is limited with USB and it's not different from FiiO K3 . Yet this review says it's kinda ok ,but on the other hand K3 reviews says it isnt't enough.
topping dx3pro

IBJamon

I find that USB noise leaks into the audio signal through the line-out, but not via the headphone jack.

hrseldon

is it possible this card gets Super X-Fi feature with driver updates? It looks like a tech that really makes difference and this card is the latest from Creative.

Top Bottom