• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Sound BlasterX G6

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am looking for a DAC to pair with a Liquid Spark amp...

I initially settled on the Creative G6 DAC because it is more than just a DAC and it has tons of features that the other DACs lack...But I have heard that it had clipping problems .... is this true ?

Does the clipping occur when you plug your headphones into the headphone jack or does it occur when you are sending a digital/analog out through the line/digital out jack ?
Good question on your last point there, G6 has clipping problems when operating above -2dBFS, which equates to above 88% Windows Volume, I run mine at 79% Windows Volume for a bit of extra headroom (maybe there's unit to unit variation). This was calculated with Amir plugging it into the Line Out and not the headphone port, but I think the same would apply to the headphone port. I know there's a High Gain & Low Gain on the G6 in relation to the headphone port, and I have kind of wondered if that means that it's only on the High Gain that you'd need to keep it below 88% Windows Volume, but I'm not sure if that's "how it works". I think the safe answer is that Low Gain on the Headphone Amp combined with below 88% Windows Volume would avoid clipping. @amirm , could you provide some insight on how the clipping you measured above -2dBFS would relate to using the headphone amp rather than the Line Out, I'm not sure if it can be translated directly over and it's relation to High Gain / Low Gain switch?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm , could you provide some insight on how the clipping you measured above -2dBFS would relate to using the headphone amp rather than the Line Out, I'm not sure if it can be translated directly over and it's relation to High Gain / Low Gain switch?
I don't know if it is happening in the DAC, its buffer or elsewhere. So hard to figure out how it applies to headphone out.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am looking for a DAC to pair with a Liquid Spark amp...

I initially settled on the Creative G6 DAC because it is more than just a DAC and it has tons of features that the other DACs lack...But I have heard that it had clipping problems .... is this true ?

Does the clipping occur when you plug your headphones into the headphone jack or does it occur when you are sending a digital/analog out through the line/digital out jack ?
I don't know if it is happening in the DAC, its buffer or elsewhere. So hard to figure out how it applies to headphone out.
In that case, praps the best safe thing to say is that using the headphone amp in Low Gain below 88% Windows Volume (-2dBFS) is pretty much guaranteed to be clipping free.

LegionOfHell

I am trying to use Creative G6 with a PS3(PlayStation 3) to get virtual surround sound on my headphones...Should I follow these steps:?

(1) Connect the G6 to a PC through USB and change the settings(SBX etc..) as you desire.
(2) Change PS3 audio settings so that it outputs Dolby Digital 5.1 through optical out.
(3) Connect G6 to PS3 through the optical out on PS3 and optical in on G6.
(4) Run a game, the Dolby Digital indicator will light up on G6.
(5) Turn SBX on by pressing the SBX button on G6.

Do these steps work for other gaming consoles, like PS4, PS2 and Wii too?

To pair G6 with a PC for gaming I should do the following:

(1) Connect G6 to the PC using the USB cable.
(2) Change speaker configuration to 7.1
(3) Setup and turn on SBX.

Are these steps correct ?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am trying to use Creative G6 with a PS3(PlayStation 3) to get virtual surround sound on my headphones...Should I follow these steps:?

(1) Connect the G6 to a PC through USB and change the settings(SBX etc..) as you desire.
(2) Change PS3 audio settings so that it outputs Dolby Digital 5.1 through optical out.
(3) Connect G6 to PS3 through the optical out on PS3 and optical in on G6.
(4) Run a game, the Dolby Digital indicator will light up on G6.
(5) Turn SBX on by pressing the SBX button on G6.

Do these steps work for other gaming consoles, like PS4, PS2 and Wii too?

To pair G6 with a PC for gaming I should do the following:

(1) Connect G6 to the PC using the USB cable.
(2) Change speaker configuration to 7.1
(3) Setup and turn on SBX.

Are these steps correct ?
That sounds like a logical sequence of steps, what does the manual say about PS3 setup for surround sound? I'd give you specific advice, but I have no experience with consoles, and haven't read the manual re PS3 setup, what does the manual say?

Aenigmatista

Yeah the topping L30 has certainly been on my short list past months! Amazing what amplifier you can get for 150 euro. Lets see how the hel fares first.

I'm about to make your exact mistake as well, but you can help me! Please let me know how the Hel 2 compares to the G6, especially when using low impedance and high sensitivity headphones (e.g. IEMs).

My situation is as follows: I backordered the Schiit Hel 2 to be shipped to Europe and I'm still in doubt whether I should opt for the G6 instead. I can still cancel the Hel 2 order. Looking at your name, chances are we're from the same country btw.

Why did I (back)order the Hel 2? In short, I need a solid (desktop) DAC for IEMs that also has a mic input.

I'm still using a decade old Turtlebeach DAC to play games and chat (i.e. conference calls and discord) and I only use IEMs with an inline mic (because I don't care much about mic quality and I like the convenience of it). I now decided to upgrade to a higher end hardware, after which I'll probably be more inclined to more often listen to music as well. My Moondrop Blessing 2 Dusk IEMs (and an inline mic cable) are currently underway, so the DAC must be able to handle an impedance of 22 Ohms and a sensitivity of 117 dB.

The Hel 2 is probably sufficient, but not a no-brainer to me as, preferably, I'd actually also would like other options which the Hel 2 doesn't have, such as a mic mute button, mic monitoring/sidetone and EQ settings (or even VSS/other gaming features). The problem is that there is not much to choose from, which is mostly due to the mic input and low impedance support that the DAC requires. AFAIK, the only real competitors to the Hel 2 are the Fulla 3, the Mayflower ARC MK2 and gaming DACs like the G6 or the Sennheiser GSX. The G6 ticks the most boxes and has solid reviews, but with an output impedance of 2.1 Ohms (and, presumably, a very high and finnicky base volume) I'm worried it won't be ideal for my low impedance and high sensitivity IEMs. For instance, I've read on the internet that the G6 causes a noticeable hiss when using IEMs.

Would love to hear your input and that of others! Should I opt for the Hel 2, the G6 or something else?

JoostE

I haven't tried either with IEMs, I only have the Tin T2, I just use those for biking. I can try them with the hel though if you want.

I personally kept the Hel 2, sold the G6. I was able to sell the G6 for the same price I bought it for, not loosing any money.

The volume control on the G6 really bothered me, my headphones were max at 12 volume in windows. Just one wrong button and I could seriously hurt my ears/headphones. Additionally, the Hell just looks 10x better. For something that is probably going to be on my desk for the next 10 years, that mattered too. Where the G6 volume knob was horrible, the Hel volume knob is sublime. The whole unit feels sublime, the switches too. It just feels like a premium product, which is imho, part of the experience.

On sound quality though, I think they are about equal on my headphones (nighthawk, PC38x, KPH30i, Sivga S006), though the G6 sounded a little bit V-shaped, but that could have been placebo. I don't think you can go wrong with either, although I wouldn't pay full price for the G6 personally, the hel is just 40 euro more at that point (I didn't have to pay any custom fees). If you can get a G6 B-stock though, it is a clear winner.

I think someone else should try to see if you get hiss with IEMs, if not, I think the G6 makes a lot of sense if you want VSS

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
I'm about to make your exact mistake as well, but you can help me! Please let me know how the Hel 2 compares to the G6, especially when using low impedance and high sensitivity headphones (e.g. IEMs).

My situation is as follows: I backordered the Schiit Hel 2 to be shipped to Europe and I'm still in doubt whether I should opt for the G6 instead. I can still cancel the Hel 2 order. Looking at your name, chances are we're from the same country btw.

Why did I (back)order the Hel 2? In short, I need a solid (desktop) DAC for IEMs that also has a mic input.

I'm still using a decade old Turtlebeach DAC to play games and chat (i.e. conference calls and discord) and I only use IEMs with an inline mic (because I don't care much about mic quality and I like the convenience of it). I now decided to upgrade to a higher end hardware, after which I'll probably be more inclined to more often listen to music as well. My Moondrop Blessing 2 Dusk IEMs (and an inline mic cable) are currently underway, so the DAC must be able to handle an impedance of 22 Ohms and a sensitivity of 117 dB.

The Hel 2 is probably sufficient, but not a no-brainer to me as, preferably, I'd actually also would like other options which the Hel 2 doesn't have, such as a mic mute button, mic monitoring/sidetone and EQ settings (or even VSS/other gaming features). The problem is that there is not much to choose from, which is mostly due to the mic input and low impedance support that the DAC requires. AFAIK, the only real competitors to the Hel 2 are the Fulla 3, the Mayflower ARC MK2 and gaming DACs like the G6 or the Sennheiser GSX. The G6 ticks the most boxes and has solid reviews, but with an output impedance of 2.1 Ohms (and, presumably, a very high and finnicky base volume) I'm worried it won't be ideal for my low impedance and high sensitivity IEMs. For instance, I've read on the internet that the G6 causes a noticeable hiss when using IEMs.

Would love to hear your input and that of others! Should I opt for the Hel 2, the G6 or something else?
Welcome Aboard @Aenigmatista.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

If I had IEM's then I'd plug mine in to see if there is hiss, but unfortunately I don't have any. Hopefully someone else here can test the G6 with some sensitive IEM's and then let you know if they hear hiss.

Aenigmatista

Thanks!

If I had IEM's then I'd plug mine in to see if there is hiss, but unfortunately I don't have any. Hopefully someone else here can test the G6 with some sensitive IEM's and then let you know if they hear hiss.
Let's hope! For now, I'm mostly worried about the finicky volume and accidentally blowing my ears out. See below:

Hi, I'm using the sound blasterx G6 with my Moondrop Starfield (IEM) in Low Gain Mode (direct mode) and my volume range is from 1 to maximum 20, after which it becomes so loud that I can't use the iem anymore. Is it the same for you?
It is really a low range, if for example I have to concentrate on something I have to set the volume to 2% or otherwise it becomes a "demanding" listening.

I haven't tried either with IEMs, I only have the Tin T2, I just use those for biking. I can try them with the hel though if you want.

I personally kept the Hel 2, sold the G6. I was able to sell the G6 for the same price I bought it for, not loosing any money.

The volume control on the G6 really bothered me, my headphones were max at 12 volume in windows. Just one wrong button and I could seriously hurt my ears/headphones. Additionally, the Hell just looks 10x better. For something that is probably going to be on my desk for the next 10 years, that mattered too. Where the G6 volume knob was horrible, the Hel volume knob is sublime. [...]
Thanks! This is important. Is there an easy way to limit the volume of the G6 and keep the 1-100 range in Windows?

E.g. 1, ideally, lowering the volume output of the G6 separately from the Windows volume? Lowering an intrinsic G6 volume output would be ideal as it would allow me to tweak the separate Windows volume on the flow without ever risking blowing out my ears. I'm aware that the G6 volume control controls the Windows volume, but is there something else I can tweak (e.g. on Soundblaster connect 2, aside from the EQ) or install, aside from the gain button, and won't ever have to touch again?
E.g. 2, capping the Windows volume to 20 and somehow expand that range to 100?
E.g. 3, least ideal, capping the Windows volume to 20?

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks!

Let's hope! For now, I'm mostly worried about the finicky volume and accidentally blowing my ears out. See below:

Thanks! This is important. Is there an easy way to limit the volume of the G6 and keep the 1-100 range in Windows?

E.g. 1, ideally, lowering the volume output of the G6 separately from the Windows volume? Lowering an intrinsic G6 volume output would be ideal as it would allow me to tweak the separate Windows volume on the flow without ever risking blowing out my ears. I'm aware that the G6 volume control controls the Windows volume, but is there something else I can tweak (e.g. on Soundblaster connect 2, aside from the EQ) or install, aside from the gain button, and won't ever have to touch again?
E.g. 2, capping the Windows volume to 20 and somehow expand that range to 100?
E.g. 3, least ideal, capping the Windows volume to 20?
Hi, a couple of options, you can use the Equaliser in the G6 and set the preamp at -12dB....I'm also imagining you could configure a -24dB by selecting -12dB preamp on the left which I've circled in red, and combine that with moving all the points of the equaliser curve to a flat -12dB, thereby resulting in -24dB max, which is independant of Windows Volume Slider. One slight problem with this is that the Equaliser is only active in SBX mode, it's not active in Direct Mode, so for listening to music you'd have to manually disable each of the SBX features and just keep the Equaliser function active.....so you don't have the convenience of just flipping the Direct Mode button to change from gaming use to music listening use. I'm assuming manually turning off each of the SBX features will enable the same "clean uncoloured" settings that Direct Mode engages.
Equaliser G6.jpg

I think I would prefer a Windows app that limits volume on the Windows Volume Slider, and I found this one just now, not used it:
https://github.com/troylar/quiet-on-the-set

EDIT: re my first paragraph, -24dB equates to 19% on the Windows Slider.

Last edited:

LegionOfHell

Can I use the G6 as a stand alone headphone amplifier ?

If I connect my DAC to the line-in on the G6, will the signal get processed before going to the headphone out or is it untouched ?

Aenigmatista

Hi, a couple of options, you can use the Equaliser in the G6 and set the preamp at -12dB....I'm also imagining you could configure a -24dB by selecting -12dB preamp on the left which I've circled in red, and combine that with moving all the points of the equaliser curve to a flat -12dB, thereby resulting in -24dB max, which is independant of Windows Volume Slider. One slight problem with this is that the Equaliser is only active in SBX mode, it's not active in Direct Mode, so for listening to music you'd have to manually disable each of the SBX features and just keep the Equaliser function active.....so you don't have the convenience of just flipping the Direct Mode button to change from gaming use to music listening use. I'm assuming manually turning off each of the SBX features will enable the same "clean uncoloured" settings that Direct Mode engages.

I think I would prefer a Windows app that limits volume on the Windows Volume Slider, and I found this one just now, not used it:
https://github.com/troylar/quiet-on-the-set

EDIT: re my first paragraph, -24dB equates to 19% on the Windows Slider.

How about this?
  1. G6 (b-stock)
  2. iFi iematch+ (should eliminate hiss and reduces up to 24 dB in ultra mode, without ever having to depend on 'software', albeit costing around 60 USD)
  3. 3.5 audio/mic splitter (because the iematch+ does not support a mic, I think)

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How about this?
  1. G6 (b-stock)
  2. iFi iematch+ (should eliminate hiss and reduces up to 24 dB in ultra mode, without ever having to depend on 'software', albeit costing around 60 USD)
  3. 3.5 audio/mic splitter (because the iematch+ does not support a mic, I think)
If you can get by without the iFi iematch+ then that would be a better situation as you then don't have extra mic concerns you mentioned, and you're not buying the extra two items you listed. Do you know how the iFi iematch+ works, in terms of how does it remove the background hiss.....is it doing some kind of signal processing which might remove wanted detail in the music, in which case you probably wouldn't want it on that basis either? But then you're still stuck with a non-ideal ratio between the output impedance of the G6 vs the impedance of your headphones.....this might not matter if your headphone doesn't change frequency response when paired with less than ideal impedance source, do you know if your IEM's change their frequency response with less than ideal impedance of amplifiers? If yours don't then you can probably just get the G6. Also you could just try it with the G6 and if it's no good you can either get a refund on the G6 or add your extra purchases you just mentioned to sort it out.

Aenigmatista

If you can get by without the iFi iematch+ then that would be a better situation as you then don't have extra mic concerns you mentioned, and you're not buying the extra two items you listed. Do you know how the iFi iematch+ works, in terms of how does it remove the background hiss.....is it doing some kind of signal processing which might remove wanted detail in the music, in which case you probably wouldn't want it on that basis either? But then you're still stuck with a non-ideal ratio between the output impedance of the G6 vs the impedance of your headphones.....this might not matter if your headphone doesn't change frequency response when paired with less than ideal impedance source, do you know if your IEM's change their frequency response with less than ideal impedance of amplifiers? If yours don't then you can probably just get the G6. Also you could just try it with the G6 and if it's no good you can either get a refund on the G6 or add your extra purchases you just mentioned to sort it out.

Not sure exactly how the iematch+ does it, but it appears the lower gain is achieved with an inbuilt (physical) resistor. The predecessor (non '+' version) has been reviewed by amirm already: https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...asurements-of-ifi-ear-buddy-and-iematch.4707/

Relevant quotes: The iEMatch "reduces the gain/output of the amplifier. [...] The iEMatch versions have selectable switches with different resistor and hence gain reduction. [...] The only thing I am unhappy with is the very low source impedance that may load down amplifiers too much. For this reason, you want to use the setting/version that lets you use the amplifier well below its max level. Otherwise you may get more distortion. [...] Of course if you can get an amplifier with flexible enough gain settings, that would be more ideal but that is not always possible."

I've ordered the Moondrop Blessing 2: Dusk IEMs.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure exactly how the iematch+ does it, but it appears the lower gain is achieved with an inbuilt (physical) resistor. The predecessor (non '+' version) has been reviewed by amirm already: https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...asurements-of-ifi-ear-buddy-and-iematch.4707/

Relevant quotes: The iEMatch "reduces the gain/output of the amplifier. [...] The iEMatch versions have selectable switches with different resistor and hence gain reduction. [...] The only thing I am unhappy with is the very low source impedance that may load down amplifiers too much. For this reason, you want to use the setting/version that lets you use the amplifier well below its max level. Otherwise you may get more distortion. [...] Of course if you can get an amplifier with flexible enough gain settings, that would be more ideal but that is not always possible."

I've ordered the Moondrop Blessing 2: Dusk IEMs.
Based on that review then I think you don't have to worry about sound quality issues, just be aware that you don't want to run your G6 above 85% volume level, as Amir noted some clipping of the G6 in the Line Out above -2dBFS (so 85% Windows Volume is slightly below -2dBFS). I'm less certain about how all the different impedences of the G6 & iematch & your headphones will all line up & interact....as like I mentioned this can sometimes change frequency response depending on the headphone....maybe someone else can shed some light on those specific interactions of your gear.

LegionOfHell

Does the USB in G6 work in asynchronous mode ?

khark

I found another use as a passthrough for this crazy versatile device:

Connected it to the optical out of an internal Soundblaster AE-7 with the supplied cable, then to a powerbank through its USB, then to iLoud MTMs with a 3.5mm to 2x XLR splitter cable. Boom, clean sound without any nasty ground loops which you could get if you connected those devices directly to the monitors. To answer the above question, yes, you can use the G6 as a standalone headphone amp connected to another DAC.

So, why this kinda odd (but working very nicely) way of connecting things should matter? Some of you may have some old internal cards (say, an X-Fi Titanium) that you don't want to part with, but want to use them with studio monitors without any ground loops. This type of connection through optical and a passthrough device offers a way.

Btw some more details: The AE-7 playblack is limited to 24/96 through digital, but sounds very nice. Dolby Digital and DTS are available, but the Windows Volume Control is disabled in those modes. The volume knob on the G6 can be now used like a preamp, decoupled from Windows volume, but no indication at where it's at, as Windows does not recognize the device. The headphone amp can be used as a standalone with the AE-7 as a DAC and it sounds super-clean "black as night" -no hiss at all with IEMs - in this setup (alternatively the AE-7 headphone amp can be used).

All-in-all, an unusual way of doing a stack, but it...works. And it works nicely, offering basically everything at good quality, small desktop footprint and not really much cost, especially if you already own one or both of those (or similar) devices.

Top Bottom