• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Sound BlasterX G6

zermak

I don't know if it related but probably it is. On my Win10 -2dBFS is at 88% volume. Checked it using the USB control panel by Thesycon of my Khadas Tone Board (which has analog output/windows volume and its internal digital volume/master).
That's probably why past 80% you still don't heart any issues.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually it is about power. If you have enough capacitance to filter DC that means you are able to compensate for drops of voltage on the cable when consumption peaks. You get drops on DC voltage specifically because cable resistance. If you lower that resistance you lower the voltage drops so capacitance for filtering these drops becomes less important. If you increase voltage that you start with, it may be sufficient to compesante for the drops and stay above the treeshold that leads to distorsions. Just assumptions of course. USB voltage may be specified as up to 5.25 but in reality is not there in most of the cases, actually I have 4 computers nearby and all are under 5.05 and that's without any significant draw so increasing may actually do something in most of the cases. Increasing means you upper your real voltage, not the maximum theoretical specification. Of course everything i write is anecdotal, no measurement, no double blind testing, as most of us here write all the time but ohm law (hence the cable "perhaps" solution) is beyond anecdotal. And I consider myself sensible :)) (just joking ;) ).
I don't believe the USB cable has any effect, but I already replied that the USB voltage might be doing something although I did provide the caveat that your motherboard is just operating in spec, albeit at potentially the upper voltage range. So, maybe it is possible that your USB voltage is helping and maybe Amir's USB voltage was lower....but then I don't know enough about how the G6 DAC processes that voltage to know whether it would be significant or not in relation to any distortion seen in this review. Either way, it wouldn't be sensible to listen to your own anecdotal recommendations that it's "OK" to run at 100% because you say you have no distortion....your recommendation/subjective listening experience is carrying no weight against what was measured in this review (for a start you've not even measured the distortion, you're just talking about whether you personally can hear it)....so it's folly for people to listen to your advice vs what has been found in Amir's review re distortion. I'll say it again, if people want to make sure they're getting the best out of their G6 DAC then they need to be running at or below 79% windows volume.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know if it related but probably it is. On my Win10 -2dBFS is at 88% volume. Checked it using the USB control panel by Thesycon of my Khadas Tone Board (which has analog output/windows volume and its internal digital volume/master).
That's probably why past 80% you still don't heart any issues.
I saw something similar when I looked at an Asus Xonar U7 volume control panel, but most of the resources on the net show -2dBFS to be the equivalent of a linear 79% volume. See the following:
http://www.playdotsound.com/portfol...g-sense-of-linear-values-in-audio-tools/?a=-2
which is based around this formula:
dB = 20log(Percentage/100)

So I think it's best to go with 79%

usersky

Forum Donor
I was just trying to answer to "Now I'm a bit curious: how is the sound from the built-in heamphone amp". This actually was asking for a subjective opinion. I really had no intention to dispute the measurements, far from it. I don't know why my experience is what it is (I cannot hear issues past 80%), if my ears ar not resolving enough or the issue may be fixed/absent because some possible objective reasons that I listed. I am perfectly aware that when one speaks about cables here on asr it smells like dynamite :) Actyally I am totally convincend that in most of the cases cables are not an issue in 21st century, except when something makes you think they cannot carry enough power (and as an EE I fully trust Amrim's smell sense in his opinion about DC possible issue). By all means I advice anyone to use/buy a dac as he seems fit. I myself do not use G6 altough from other reason (I feel Topping DX3 pro more satisfying but not soundwise). Have a great evening and stay safe guys!

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was just trying to answer to "Now I'm a bit curious: how is the sound from the built-in heamphone amp". This actually was asking for a subjective opinion. I really had no intention to dispute the measurements, far from it. I don't know why my experience is what it is (I cannot hear issues past 80%), if my ears ar not resolving enough or the issue may be fixed/absent because some possible objective reasons that I listed. I am perfectly aware that when one speaks about cables here on asr it smells like dynamite :) Actyally I am totally convincend that in most of the cases cables are not an issue in 21st century, except when something makes you think they cannot carry enough power (and as an EE I fully trust Amrim's smell sense in his opinion about DC possible issue). By all means I advice anyone to use/buy a dac as he seems fit. I myself do notuse G6 altough from another reason (and because I feel Topping DX3 pro more satisfying but not soundwise). Have a great evening and stay safe guys!
Cheers

zermak

I saw something similar when I looked at an Asus Xonar U7 volume control panel, but most of the resources on the net show -2dBFS to be the equivalent of a linear 79% volume. See the following:
http://www.playdotsound.com/portfol...g-sense-of-linear-values-in-audio-tools/?a=-2
which is based around this formula:
dB = 20log(Percentage/100)

So I think it's best to go with 79%
I see that but if I use the analog volume control on the USB control panel I can go way under "0%" (it stops at -127dB plus on Windows the 1% volume is -70dB on the USB panel) and I still have signal (which I do when using my IEMs and having the amp pot all the way at 100% for removing any channel imbalance).
I dont know what it is but probably a bad description of the dBs on the USB control panel (-127 is like a 7 bit volume control) because 1% should be almost -40dBFS and not -70dBFS. I guess someone with a Line IN or any input could test it with REW or ARTA and figure it out ahah.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I see that but if I use the analog volume control on the USB control panel I can go way under "0%" (it stops at -127dB plus on Windows the 1% volume is -70dB on the USB panel) and I still have signal (which I do when using my IEMs and having the amp pot all the way at 100% for removing any channel imbalance).
I dont know what it is but probably a bad description of the dBs on the USB control panel (-127 is like a 7 bit volume control) because 1% should be almost -40dBFS and not -70dBFS. I guess someone with a Line IN or any input could test it with REW or ARTA and figure it out ahah.
Maybe the Windows Volume control slider is not a linear relationship if that's what you're getting at....I did have my suspicions that this could be the case when dB on Asus Xonar U7 volume control didn't match calculation, but couldn't find any info on it when I googled it. If 88% is indeed -2dBFS then at least 79% is under that, so my reasoning was to use the safer 79%, plus it fits with what a percentage volume control "should" be....but maybe Microsoft have implemented the volume slider to be non-linear which would be bad practice for them because percentage volume control should be linear.

The fact that Thescyon volume control drivers (also verified by me with my Topping E30 DAC that uses Thescyon & yourself too) and Asus Xonar U7 volume control drivers (by me) both match up showing 88% windows volume is -2dBFS, and given your somewhat strange observation with your analog volume control, this is adding more weight that the windows volume slider is not a linear relationship like it should be given the fact it's described as "percentage". I think in light of these 'coincidences' that it is very likely 88% is -2dBFS, but I guess it's safer to run it at 79% to be sure to allow for doubt. I had thought that the Asus Xonar U7 volume control was just wrong, and I only found out today from you (& me checking my E30) that Thescyon matches the U7. I really can't find much info on how the Windows Volume Slider is configured when I google it. I did find some blurb saying that Windows could configure volume sliders in applications to be either linear or 'less sensitive' around 0% windows volume to allow for users to fine tune volume better at lower volume levels or when connecting more sensitive equipment......but I couldn't find out any info saying how the main Windows Volume Slider was configured.

Last edited:

Nathanael

I've got mine G6 today.

I do not notice a delay when adjusting volume, there is nothing here ruining my user expierence :)

What's interesting is that that there's a a audible difference between windows driver and creative's driver. Creative sounds more sharp, bassy and flat, Windows more smooth, natural and open. I like the sound from the windows driver more. I'm using very subjective terms but I think this is really audible.

So far I tested it only with headphones. I'm happy with the sound (with Windows driver).

I own only low impedance headphones (Shure 840, Soundmagic HP151 and V-Moda M80).

Veri

Master Contributor
What's interesting is that that there's a a audible difference between windows driver and creative's driver. Creative sounds more sharp, bassy and flat, Windows more smooth, natural and open. I like the sound from the windows driver more. I'm using very subjective terms but I think this is really audible.

It's not impossible, it's a Creative/sound blaster driver after all.....

Nathanael

I've got one more question:

The G6 has only o software knob adjusting windows volume. I'm listening trough headphones on 30-40% (low gain).

Is that 100% Windows volume for full dynamics and best best sound thing so many writes about a myth?

Is there a difference depending on bit depth? Robbo wrote that there's no dynamics loss when using 79% windows volume with 24 bit mode.

Veri

Master Contributor
Is that 100% Windows volume for full dynamics and best best sound thing so many writes about a myth?

Is there a difference depending on bit depth? Robbo wrote that there's no dynamics loss when using 79% windows volume with 24 bit mode.
-Yes. Total myth.
-Always use 24-bit mode when available, there's no downside to it.

Nathanael

I've got mine G6 today.

correction: I wrote some BS, it seems that Windows automatically installs the creative driver (no matter if you've installed creative software+driver manually). It seems that I made something wrong after my first installation of the creative software. I thought I enabled direct mode, maybe here was the problem. Because of some reason (?) I was able to hear a difference.

zermak

-Yes. Total myth.
-Always use 24-bit mode when available, there's no downside to it.
About the 100% volume I don't entirely agree. I mean we have seen that usually a DAC performs at its best when it's at full volume (0dBFs) and the performance degrades when you lower the output voltage. But it is also true that a well engineered and good performing DAC will give you trasparents results (because of our earing capabilities threshold and so on) at lower volumes too and so we don't need to worry about that so much.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
correction: I wrote some BS, it seems that Windows automatically installs the creative driver (no matter if you've installed creative software+driver manually). It seems that I made something wrong after my first installation of the creative software. I thought I enabled direct mode, maybe here was the problem. Because of some reason (?) I was able to hear a difference.
Enabling Direct Mode is what you're supposed to do if you're just listening to music, as it guarantees no sound processing effects are applied - it's the purest way to listen to music on the G6.
About the 100% volume I don't entirely agree. I mean we have seen that usually a DAC performs at its best when it's at full volume (0dBFs) and the performance degrades when you lower the output voltage. But it is also true that a well engineered and good performing DAC will give you trasparents results (because of our earing capabilities threshold and so on) at lower volumes too and so we don't need to worry about that so much.
Not really, often near 100% the DACS start to perform just a little worse on average according to most of the graphs in the DAC reviews on this site. Also, in addition I've recently found out that DAC performance can improve if you run just a couple of percent below max volume on all sigma delta DACS (which is most DACS). See this post: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ping-e30-dac-review.12119/page-96#post-435353 and a couple of my posts above that one that also includes a link to a different website & post by a JDS Labs rep who started this whole thing off. (Actually here's the direct link to it: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/o2-amp-odac.616331/page-249#post-11106527 )

zermak

Enabling Direct Mode is what you're supposed to do if you're just listening to music, as it guarantees no sound processing effects are applied - it's the purest way to listen to music on the G6.
Or just use WASAPI exclusive mode or ASIO.
Not really, often near 100% the DACS start to perform just a little worse on average according to most of the graphs in the DAC reviews on this site. Also, in addition I've recently found out that DAC performance can improve if you run just a couple of percent below max volume on all sigma delta DACS (which is most DACS). See this post: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ping-e30-dac-review.12119/page-96#post-435353 and a couple of my posts above that one that also includes a link to a different website & post by a JDS Labs rep who started this whole thing off. (Actually here's the direct link to it: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/o2-amp-odac.616331/page-249#post-11106527 )
It depends on the DAC engineering. There are tons over here that goes well over 2V on the RCA and indeed their performance exceed the ones at 2V (Amir test them all at his standard 2V for unbalance out e 4V for balanced out but he also adds the full scale measurements sometime to give the idea of what the DAC is capable of).
Plus usually well recorded music is well under 0dBFS (if I recall the ideal would be -12dBFS for the peaks) and indeed it never clips and you can tame the commercial/pop compressed (=low dynamic range) music using ReplayGain to not let it happen and you will never have a 0dBFS signal in that case and so the DAC, even if the Windows Volume is way up at 100%, will never output the full capable voltage anyway.

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Or just use WASAPI exclusive mode or ASIO.

It depends on the DAC engineering. There are tons over here that goes well over 2V on the RCA and indeed their performance exceed the ones at 2V (Amir test them all at his standard 2V for unbalance out e 4V for balanced out but he also adds the full scale measurements sometime to give the idea of what the DAC is capable of).
Plus usually well recorded music is well under 0dBFS (if I recall the ideal would be -12dBFS for the peaks) and indeed it never clips and you can tame the commercial/pop compressed (=low dynamic range) music using ReplayGain to not let it happen and you will never have a 0dBFS signal in that case and so the DAC, even if the Windows Volume is way up at 100%, will never output the full capable voltage anyway.
You're making this more complicated than necessary (diversionary) given your initial post re 100% Windows volume.. I've answered it.

Last edited:

zermak

You're making this more complicated than necessary given your initial post re 100% Windows volume. I've answered it.
It is related tho. In the sense that you will never output a 0dBFS signal from any DAC unless you do it on purpose for measuring reasons (or when someone badly altered an audio clip) and so 100% volume on Windows can be used if necessary.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It is related tho. In the sense that you will never output a 0dBFS signal from any DAC unless you do it on purpose for measuring reasons (or when someone badly altered an audio clip) and so 100% volume on Windows can be used if necessary.
Naaa, I sussed you out already, not gonna get embroiled with you. Read your original post I replied to (post #314).

ReaderZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's not impossible, it's a Creative/sound blaster driver after all.....

They tend to come with DSP, so that's very likely true. G6's default setting has a function called "sound crystallizer " or something like that enabled, and you sure can hear the difference.

Top Bottom