• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Sound BlasterX G6

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I do my due diligence when i buy any product that could be subjective and research for hours, days, or weeks. The bad thing is the AE-7 is fairly new and didnt have a lot of reviews or discussions. I went off of the talk about the AE-5 which seemed to be pretty good for most except those running new Ryzen systems. I did buy the AE-7 purely because of the included Audio Control Module and on top of that it being better hardware than the AE-5. I just wonder now if I wasted my money and would be better off with something cheaper. I do have a mixamp which doesnt sound half bad, even for music. But it doesnt drive even the 80ohm dt 990 enough. Max volume is just enough but could even use a little more. Would double amping the mixamp be a good alternative?
I can't advise you on the mixamp and double amping, because I don't understand any of that, ha! But, in terms of recommendations for you for your current situation you know my opinion (and my good experience with the G6).....send the faulty AE7 back and try the G6 as it fits all your feature / audio quality / & specification needs. As to G6 reliability you'll just have to decide based on what people have said in this thread and any other reviews you can find.

sm1rnus

Just like Robbo99999, I have the G6 for about 4 months and I have never had any problems, I use an HD558 in lo gain amp, the volume in Windows I always use at 8 to 14, on top of that it already starts to bother my ears for some time . I already had some creative products, SB Live, Audigy 2 ZS, X-FI Titanium Fatal1ti pro and HD Titanium, I never had any problems with these products, together with HD Titanium, the G6 were the best dacs I used, I know they exist better, but the G6 has served me well. Regarding the volume in 79%, if it is used in the headphone output, I believe it is impossible to withstand such a high volume, I believe that for many 40% it would be a blow to the ears.

unfit327

Just like Robbo99999, I have the G6 for about 4 months and I have never had any problems, I use an HD558 in lo gain amp, the volume in Windows I always use at 8 to 14, on top of that it already starts to bother my ears for some time . I already had some creative products, SB Live, Audigy 2 ZS, X-FI Titanium Fatal1ti pro and HD Titanium, I never had any problems with these products, together with HD Titanium, the G6 were the best dacs I used, I know they exist better, but the G6 has served me well. Regarding the volume in 79%, if it is used in the headphone output, I believe it is impossible to withstand such a high volume, I believe that for many 40% it would be a blow to the ears.

Well I decided to try a schiit magni that I'm going to double amp the astro mixamp and compare the results. I know it won't sound as good as the ae-7 for music, but I mostly game so im sure it will be decent. If that setup doesn't work I will be buying the g6. Does anyone have any experience worth the x3? It seems to be a lot of bang for the buck.

Tup3x

Just ditch the crap vol pot & mic that came with AE-7. Use extension cable, buy another amp and use line out or buy better vol pot.

unfit327

Just ditch the crap vol pot & mic that came with AE-7. Use extension cable, buy another amp and use line out or buy better vol pot.

Well I was looking for a cost effective all In one solution. I guess those don't really exist except for ab external dac/amp like the g6 or schiit stack without all the features. If an amp and cables on top of the $220 already spent for the ae7 I'm now well over $300

nighteagle

Got a question here. I got the G6 and currently using a DT990 with it. Connected through USB to my windows 10 computer. I play some games and use discord and listen to music only. Have now ordered a SMSL SP200 THX amp and thinking about buying a HD800s headset. After finding this review I see that there might be a problem with the line out on the G6. Something about adjusting the volume to 79%. Should I just buy a topping d50s and sell the G6 or? Any recommendations? My only source is the computer using USB. Thanks in advance

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Got a question here. I got the G6 and currently using a DT990 with it. Connected through USB to my windows 10 computer. I play some games and use discord and listen to music only. Have now ordered a SMSL SP200 THX amp and thinking about buying a HD800s headset. After finding this review I see that there might be a problem with the line out on the G6. Something about adjusting the volume to 79%. Should I just buy a topping d50s and sell the G6 or? Any recommendations? My only source is the computer using USB. Thanks in advance
Yes, I use my G6 with Line Out fed to a JDS Labs Atom headphone amp. The 79% windows volume thing is to make sure that it's below the point where it shows some distortion, as found in Amir's review of the G6. If run at 79% windows volume (which equates to -2dBFS) or less then the G6 measures amoungst the very best DACS. I think the only thing to worry about is if 79% windows volume will not be enough volume for your headphone amp & headphones...I think in pretty much all configurations that this will be enough volume. As far as I know I don't think the HD800's are particularly hard to drive, so I think they'll be ok with 79% windows volume on Line Out to a headphone amp. There's not really much point in buying another DAC if you still want the gaming capabilities....plus I suppose there's nothing stopping you from trying the G6 first with any new gear you buy, and if it's not up to snuff then you can buy another DAC at that point.

I run my JDS Labs Atom headphone amp at Low Gain mode and with volume knob just below 12 o'clock (half max volume) whilst using 79% windows volume on my G6 and that drives my AKG K702 at plenty loud enough volume.

claw91

Hello guys, I bought the G6 coming from my motherboard on board audio (X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wifi). I've been using it for a couple of weeks with my Sennheiser PC37X but monday my new cans shipped: Sennheiser HD660S.

I'm new to this world so bear with me if I say something stupid or make silly questions...

My main focus is gaming. I've never been a huge music listener but given I've spent some money on a good pair of headphones, maybe it would be worth trying it also for that.

First thing I've noticed on the G6 is that I can't really use direct mode without losing the microphone. The moment I switch to direct mode, the microphone stops working. That's not very good considering that for some games like PUBG (which already have HRTF) direct stereo mode is best but then I cannot communicate on Discord.

So I guess I'll have to stick with normale mode, at least until I buy a dedicated USB microphone (I'm thinking about wireless mod mic).

Now my issue is that whenever I switch "profiles" from the Soundblaster app (I have made a custom one for PUBG) to the music preset profile, something odds happens to my microphone. All of a sudden, my voice becomes robotic and there is also huge background noise (like static humming). And no, it's not voice morph. Going back to PUBG profile does nothing and I am forced to reboot to make my microphone work well again without any distortion of the above mentioned background noise.

Now, what the hell do you think is happening here? I don't think it's normal behavior because I shouldn't be forced to restart my pc everytime I want to switch from gaming to music...

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello guys, I bought the G6 coming from my motherboard on board audio (X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wifi). I've been using it for a couple of weeks with my Sennheiser PC37X but monday my new cans shipped: Sennheiser HD660S.

I'm new to this world so bear with me if I say something stupid or make silly questions...

My main focus is gaming. I've never been a huge music listener but given I've spent some money on a good pair of headphones, maybe it would be worth trying it also for that.

First thing I've noticed on the G6 is that I can't really use direct mode without losing the microphone. The moment I switch to direct mode, the microphone stops working. That's not very good considering that for some games like PUBG (which already have HRTF) direct stereo mode is best but then I cannot communicate on Discord.

So I guess I'll have to stick with normale mode, at least until I buy a dedicated USB microphone (I'm thinking about wireless mod mic).

Now my issue is that whenever I switch "profiles" from the Soundblaster app (I have made a custom one for PUBG) to the music preset profile, something odds happens to my microphone. All of a sudden, my voice becomes robotic and there is also huge background noise (like static humming). And no, it's not voice morph. Going back to PUBG profile does nothing and I am forced to reboot to make my microphone work well again without any distortion of the above mentioned background noise.

Now, what the hell do you think is happening here? I don't think it's normal behavior because I shouldn't be forced to restart my pc everytime I want to switch from gaming to music...
Just a quick aside for this paragraph...you've got the HD660S and you're using it for music too...well I reckon you should try EQ'ing that one using Oratory1990's EQ curves that are based on the Harman Curve, his curves are great and really do make headphones sound better generally. Here's the link to all his headphones that he's EQ'd (https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/wiki/index/list_of_presets ). He's a professional audio engineer and has an expensive headphone measurement rig which he uses to create the EQ profiles to match the Harman curve.

Going onto your questions with the G6 issues. Yes, the G6 is a bit buggy, I've reported before in this thread that I had no problems, but I've found recently that my G6 is buggy when used with my laptop...just plain strange stuff happening with the sound (reduced bass/volume/clarity, possible distortion) which gets fixed by changing a few settings backwards & forwards, like moving the volume slider in the G6 software...there's very strange stuff happening with the bugs that are too long winded to explain...I'm buying a new & different DAC for music listening because it's not reliable enough and I'm fed up with toggling settings backwards & forward to 'reset' it, but I will still use the G6 for gaming, and it seems to be stable on my desktop PC, it doesn't like being switched to different PC's or it doesn't like my laptop much. In terms of keeping track of what is happening with G6 firmware and bugs and beta firmware there's a Creative employee/representative over on Reddit, where he creates & updates a thread related to current issues and fixes: https://www.reddit.com/r/SoundBlasterOfficial/comments/g97dag
EDIT: there's new v1.18 beta firmware out, find at the following link. It's in response to "microphone issues", but there are also some other potential fixes in that firmware that has been indicated in various posts (other threads) by that Creative guy: https://www.reddit.com/r/SoundBlasterOfficial/comments/gez7dp I've started using this firmware to see if it's more stable.

Last edited:

claw91

I'll try this beta firmware too and see if it fixes my issue since I couldn't find anything related online unfortunately.

About Oratory1990's EQ you suggest me... I opened up the pdf for my headphones but I don't really know what to do with all that stuff :p

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll try this beta firmware too and see if it fixes my issue since I couldn't find anything related online unfortunately.

About Oratory1990's EQ you suggest me... I opened up the pdf for my headphones but I don't really know what to do with all that stuff :p
Hopefully the beta firmware will help.

About Oratory1990 and those pdf files. The information that you're most interested in is the Filter Settings box at the bottom left of the pdf file. Basically that is showing your all the parametric filters that you need to input in order to EQ to the Harman Curve. You could probably do with finding some software you can use with your computer that will allow you to input parametric filters (Equaliser APO with PEACE extension for PC / Sonarworks for Mac)...then you'd literally just enter in all those parametric filters in that pdf along with the Q and Gain variables associated with each filter. Q just determines how wide or narrow the width of affected frequencies to either side of the Frequency...high Q value means a sharp peak or drop.....low Q value means a gentle/wider peak or drop. Gain is just how much in dB you are raising or lowering the frequency at that point. By using all these variables it's possible to accurately pull the frequency response of the headphone to match the target. Oratory has done all the hard work for each of those headphones...it's just up to us to apply them using whatever software we can get our hands on. You might be able to find some resources that will convert a set of parametric filters (what's displayed in those pdf's) to say a standard 10 band equaliser or whatever, but it won't be able to replicate it as accurately as a set of parametric filters...they're the best way. There's also this headphone EQ thread that might be informative/interesting reading: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/is-eqing-headphones-worth-it.11523/

Last edited:

ReaderZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
2a) G6 Power Cycle [close]
The v1.16 beta firmware, which contains this fix, has been officially released on January 22, 2020. This item will be considered closed with this latest firmware update.

I can confirm it fixed nothing for me on both my desktop and laptop.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I can confirm it fixed nothing for me on both my desktop and laptop.
That sucks doesn't it. What's the Power Cycle issue?

This G6 is pretty much fine on my desktop PC, but it's buggy as hell on my laptop which is what I use for playing music and I can't have that level of uncertainty of the sound it is producing.

claw91

Guys I think my G6 does not work properly... I've been using (wrongly) the G6 in high gain mode while the HD660S are low gain... but in low gain even at 100% Windows volume it's to quiet.

Games too are quiet too... should it be that way?

My friend told me that even in low gain 100% volume should blow my ears out....

Veri

Master Contributor
Guys I think my G6 does not work properly... I've been using (wrongly) the G6 in high gain mode while the HD660S are low gain... but in low gain even at 100% Windows volume it's to quiet.

HD660S are not "low-gain". Volume depends from headphone to headphone. If low is too quiet, use high gain.
Totally normal. Your friend is wrong.

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Games too are quiet too... should it be that way?

My friend told me that even in low gain 100% volume should blow my ears out....
Amir (the owner of this site & the guy that tests all these) said that with his Sennheiser HD650 the headphone listening tests were OK, but you would be operating at or near max volume level. His headphones are 300 ohm (so I assume he was using using High Gain) and 105dB sensitivity, your HD660S is 150 ohm and also 105dB sensitivity, so yours should be a bit easier to drive than his headphones...therefore I think your G6 should provide enough power in High Gain mode, High Gain mode is for 150-300 ohm headphones, so I'd operate it in High Gain mode for your headphones.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
HD660S are not "low-gain". Volume depends from headphone to headphone. If low is too quiet, use high gain.
Totally normal. Your friend is wrong.

Yup- my rule of thumb is if you can get to 2 or 3 o clock and still not "feel" it on low gain, back all the way down and engage next gain up. Assuming DAC is on max output of course.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yup- my rule of thumb is if you can get to 2 or 3 o clock and still not "feel" it on low gain, back all the way down and engage next gain up. Assuming DAC is on max output of course.
(About max output on the G6 though, you wanna be using at a max of 79% Windows Volume to avoid distortion/clipping - Amir noticed that distortion goes away at -2dBFS).

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
(About max output on the G6 though, you wanna be using at a max of 79% Windows Volume to avoid distortion/clipping - Amir noticed that distortion goes away at -2dBFS).

Sorry, I was talking generally about use of gain on headamps, know nothing of the G6. Ive generally got some digital attenuation going on either DSP or just lowering the DAC anyway for headroom.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry, I was talking generally about use of gain on headamps, know nothing of the G6. Ive generally got some digital attenuation going on either DSP or just lowering the DAC anyway for headroom.
Yeah, that's cool, I know what you mean, I just wanted to point out the 79% thing though so people avoid running it at 100%. The G6 is a massive pain in the ass, it's very finicky/buggy, this is just another one of it's lovable quirks, ha! G6 is ok on my desktop PC though, doesn't really have any other bugs other than the 79% windows volume thing, but when used on my laptop it has a massive number of bugs making it virtually unusable.

Top Bottom