• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Sony UDA-1 DAC & Amp

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Yeah I wonder why the PR team thought to do that.. There are some measurements here: https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/audio-player/sacd-players/sony-scd-xa5400es-player/
Thanks. Based on that measurement:

sony-scd-xa5400es-sacd-player-1-khz-16-44.gif

SINAD will be just 81 dB! It would put in the pile of worst measured DACs in our slate.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Never thought I would see the specs for a CD player from Sony without a single measurement! :(
If only their audio division got its mojo back like the TV division has.
Sony TV's really own the game today.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Never thought I would see the specs for a CD player from Sony without a single measurement! :(
Specs are there on the next tab. It has 2 power transformers and consumes 15 watts. Also comes with 2 AA batteries for the remote. :facepalm:

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sony no longer bring much audio gear into the UK other than wireless speakers, soundbars and headphones. They do a bit but we miss almost all of the ES gear and audio components. I think it sums up the way the market here has gone.

Scytales

Forum Donor
Last edited:

Scytales

Forum Donor
Yeah, I forgot ! Free registering is possible on this page to get a password : http://www.milleraudioresearch.com/avtech/index.html

It's worth it, as this website contains literally tens of thousands of data about hundreds of stuff (DACs, disc-players, amplifiers, etc...).

Here is limited previews of what is available concerning the XA5400ES :

Attachments

• Sony-SCD-XA5400ES-1khz-cd-fft.jpg
    Sony-SCD-XA5400ES-1khz-cd-fft.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 63

tktran303

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Sony TV's really own the game today.

Really? What country are you in?

Sony hasn’t owned the TV business since the CRT aka Trinitron days ie. late 20th C

I wonder who are the top 3, by market share,
TVs, globally.

Samsung?
LG?

formdissolve

Forum Donor
Really? What country are you in?

Sony hasn’t owned the TV business since the CRT aka Trinitron days ie. late 20th C

I wonder who are the top 3, by market share,
TVs, globally.

Samsung?
LG?
The top Sony OLED's are all very, very good, but also very expensive. Funny enough, they all use LG OLED panels.

xtremeaudio

billbillw

OK, so I've had one of these UDA-1 for about 8 years. Bought used from Ebay in 2016 for $155 USD. After reading the review here, I think it is probably time to to think about replacing it! I never thought it was anything considered reference class, but it was a simple solution for a computer desktop setup with a pair of bookshelf speakers. It cleaned up my desktop considerably compared to a DAC plus an NAD integrated amplifier that I was using at the time. It recently has been giving me some issues of not wanting to connect by USB.

What is out there on the new/used market from the last 5-6 years that would be comparable, in an under $300 price? Namely a USB DAC that can handle DSD plus 20-40 watts per channel output? I don't mind Class D. In fact, I have an SMSL SA-50 that I could probably use if I just put a USB DAC into the mix...
I would prefer a 1-box solution though.

tsanguine

Forum Donor
OK, so I've had one of these UDA-1 for about 8 years. Bought used from Ebay in 2016 for $155 USD. After reading the review here, I think it is probably time to to think about replacing it! I never thought it was anything considered reference class, but it was a simple solution for a computer desktop setup with a pair of bookshelf speakers. It cleaned up my desktop considerably compared to a DAC plus an NAD integrated amplifier that I was using at the time. It recently has been giving me some issues of not wanting to connect by USB.

What is out there on the new/used market from the last 5-6 years that would be comparable, in an under $300 price? Namely a USB DAC that can handle DSD plus 20-40 watts per channel output? I don't mind Class D. In fact, I have an SMSL SA-50 that I could probably use if I just put a USB DAC into the mix...
I would prefer a 1-box solution though.
I replaced mine with a SMSL stack. The DA8, SU8, and SH8. Now I'm ready to sell this stack as I'm not using it any more. It's not a single unit but looks good as a stack. I haven't seen many 1-box solutions available that have the speaker amp combined with the DAC and headphone amp. I think I'll sell mine for $300. Haven't really thought much about it.

888.jpg

billbillw

I replaced mine with a SMSL stack. The DA8, SU8, and SH8. Now I'm ready to sell this stack as I'm not using it any more. It's not a single unit but looks good as a stack. I haven't seen many 1-box solutions available that have the speaker amp combined with the DAC and headphone amp. I think I'll sell mine for $300. Haven't really thought much about it.

888.jpg
After posting this, I looked around and found that Teac made a one box unit that would fit nicely. The AI-301DA can be found used pretty close to my price range. It has a pretty old dac by today's standards, but it should be as good or better than the Sony it would replace.

There is also the SMSL AL200, Topping MX5, and a few others.

I'm leaning to the Teac, because I have a UD-301 that I've enjoyed for years as well.

Top Bottom