• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of SONOS Connect Streamer

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
The SONOS speakers are priced high, but you are paying for a speaker, amplifier, and wifi adapter in a box plus the infrastructure (HW and SW) to support it. At least they have sales now and then. I don't know if they are really high-priced for what they offer; when I got mine there really wasn't any competition, but if they are above their current competition they'll have to adapt somehow.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
...Suddenly a hidden door opens up and the Schiit guys and Rob Watts appear.

"Amir, we urgently need your help to create the best measuring DAC/Amp ever........A MULTIBIT ONE with lots of TUBES!!!!!"

My initial thought was to let the poor guy alone, he doesn't need more grief, and per Sir Thomas needs his beauty sleep (I have it on good authority that his visage has diverged significantly from his avatar).

However, if nightmares keep him awake at night, would he not then have more time to test stuff? At least until he drops dead from stress, overwork, and lack of sleep. An Amadeus quandary...

All things considered, I feel it best to not bite the hand that tests for us. :)

KenG

The SONOS speakers are priced high, but you are paying for a speaker, amplifier, and wifi adapter in a box plus the infrastructure (HW and SW) to support it. At least they have sales now and then. I don't know if they are really high-priced for what they offer; when I got mine there really wasn't any competition, but if they are above their current competition they'll have to adapt somehow.
It's a good question and IMO, the answer is - It depends.

If you are just looking for a single room "streamer" or configuration then I think the answer is that they are high priced ($350 new/$200 used) compared to some of the other options out there for streamers with DACs or digital outputs. A CCA or a Raspberry Pi variant (Allo Digione, Boss, Toneboard + VIM, Digihat, etc) will get you more functionality for less money. I think Amir or Archimago (can't remember which) reasoned after measuring cheap streamers like raspberry Pi and CCA that people are wasting money buying an expensive stand alone (ie, non-dac/amp) streamer.

However if you want multi-room (especially 3 or more zones), I think Sonos is a bargain. You can get in the game with a refurbished Sonos Play for $120 and their other more upscale speakers are pretty comparable in price and quality to what other multi-zone speakers are out there (Apple HomePod, Libratone, Denon etc).
The Big Market Differentiator in my option is the mesh network that connects all of the Sonos speaker zones. I've used Airplay for 10 years and had it with the drops and the other software out there (Airfoil, Squeezebox and even Roon) that "works" with Airplay devices just couldn't cut it and ended up being worse than native airplay. Sonos almost never loses connection or synchronization between zones. I assume Sonos has a patent on the mesh speaker network since I don't think any other company offers something similar (keep me honest - I've never tried some of the other formats - Like Play-Fi or HEOS.)

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

If you are just looking for a single room "streamer" or configuration then I think the answer is that they are high priced ($350 new/$200 used) compared to some of the other options out there for streamers with DACs or digital outputs. A CCA or a Raspberry Pi variant (Allo Digione, Boss, Toneboard + VIM, Digihat, etc) will get you more functionality for less money. I think Amir or Archimago (can't remember which) reasoned after measuring cheap streamers like raspberry Pi and CCA that people are wasting money buying an expensive stand alone (ie, non-dac/amp) streamer.

However if you want multi-room (especially 3 or more zones), I think Sonos is a bargain. You can get in the game with a refurbished Sonos Play for $120 and their other more upscale speakers are pretty comparable in price and quality to what other multi-zone speakers are out there (Apple HomePod, Libratone, Denon etc).

You can do Sync'd multi-room with the CCA...Works great for me.

KenG

You can do Sync'd multi-room with the CCA...Works great for me.

No question about it, the functionality to price ration of the CCA is pretty insane. I only have one that use to stream Tidal to my Chord Mojo when I'm away from my desktop amps and it works flawlessly. I hope others scooped them up for $15.

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
No question about it, the functionality to price ration of the CCA is pretty insane. I only have one that use to stream Tidal to my Chord Mojo when I'm away from my desktop amps and it works flawlessly. I hope others scooped them up for $15.
However if you want multi-room (especially 3 or more zones), I think Sonos is a bargain.
The multi zone function in google home works great. I have several groups consisting of combinations of several CCA, CC, CCU, Google Nest Hub. But there is one issue I have found when using Youtube Music, the hub doesn't sync properly all the times and have no adjustment for it. Google Play Music works fine.

adamd

Hi @amirm -have you checked the vc on the sonos? Since it has a volume control it would be important to know whether it is linear. I would have assumed so but given the truncation of 24 bit inputs it made me concerned that it might operate at 16 bits and/or be undithered [shudder]

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My experience of Sonos is limited to familiarity with their speakers owned by friends. I don't know much about them other than that I tend to like their minimalist industrial design and they seem to perform very well as speakers. I have heard a lot worse and they seem to go for a reasonably balanced sound signature. They do seem to be at the higher end of the price scale within their segment.

Secryt

I use Apple Music and CDs. I did a lot of back and forth with myself before settling on Bluesound Node 2i output to a Modi 3 delta sigma for my streaming.

It pretty much came down to either using Airplay 2 (which I needed Bluesound in that case) or going through an app (which I would have needed Sonos then). I decided to stick with Airplay 2 for the time being... and based on what I'm reading I'm glad I did! The GUI doesn't sound super clean. But with a refresh around the corner hopefully it'll come with Airplay 2 support so it'll give Music users an option to use either the app or Airplay. It'll be interesting to see how the new one will compare to this guy.

So far I haven't had any issues with my Bluesound Node 2i. It works fine as an Airplay 2 endpoint.

Matthew

Great investigation as always!
SONOS have bought out their new "Port" unit with "improved" performance and a "new" DAC. I'd be very interested to see if you can find what differences their are sonically. Anyone else out there had the top off one to see what chips are inside?
Regards and thanks again for all your great work here.
Matthew

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
They just sent my a 30% off offer to upgrade my Connect to a Port. Not sure the difference let alone if it is worth the $$$ since I have two ($399 USD * 2 * 0.7 = $559 is a lot of money and my Connects are working OK for me). I am connecting via optical so don't really care that much about the DAC. Suppose it might be nice if it handled higher resolutions and sampling rates.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

The Big Market Differentiator in my option is the mesh network that connects all of the Sonos speaker zones. I've used Airplay for 10 years and had it with the drops and the other software out there (Airfoil, Squeezebox and even Roon) that "works" with Airplay devices just couldn't cut it and ended up being worse than native airplay. Sonos almost never loses connection or synchronization between zones. I assume Sonos has a patent on the mesh speaker network since I don't think any other company offers something similar (keep me honest - I've never tried some of the other formats - Like Play-Fi or HEOS.)

Sonos is not far from plug and play. The app works and well. It connects to many of the streaming services with little thought and a person with a modicum of reading ability is able to setup a HT/Multi Room system in a day or so ...
The "alternatives", Raspberry PI and others require a PhD in EE, the patience of a saint in PLUS the services of a person with elite hacking abilities ... This explains the success of SONOS .. The so-called competitors, haven't made a dent in SONOS' market nor will they ever if they continue with their "techies" ways and poor UI

Matthew

They just sent my a 30% off offer to upgrade my Connect to a Port. Not sure the difference let alone if it is worth the $$$ since I have two ($399 USD * 2 * 0.7 = $559 is a lot of money and my Connects are working OK for me). I am connecting via optical so don't really care that much about the DAC. Suppose it might be nice if it handled higher resolutions and sampling rates.
I am in exactly the same position! Only thing playing on my mind is my ZP80s are about 13 years old now and stiil going strong but swapping for new may be a good way to upgrade if there is any improvement in the design.

Matthew

Sonos is not far from plug and play. The app works and well. It connects to many of the streaming services with little thought and a person with a modicum of reading ability is able to setup a HT/Multi Room system in a day or so ...
The "alternatives", Raspberry PI and others require a PhD in EE, the patience of a saint in PLUS the services of a person with elite hacking abilities ... This explains the success of SONOS .. The so-called competitors, haven't made a dent in SONOS' market nor will they ever if they continue with their "techies" ways and poor UI
Agree! I have both; Allo USBridge and SONOS. The Allo does offer playback of higher res and USB output. I like the Volumio 2 search UI better but the set up and boot up time on SONOS beats it hands down.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I am in exactly the same position! Only thing playing on my mind is my ZP80s are about 13 years old now and stiil going strong but swapping for new may be a good way to upgrade if there is any improvement in the design.

Yah, ditto, though mine are only about 10 years old. I did get the new Boost to replace my old Bridge but that was a $70 upgrade and I have had coverage issues. I am going to have to look more at the new Port to see if it's worth that kind of money (thinking not for the way I use mine). It looks like they are still using relatively lower-rate network protocols (which is OK for this except higher rates might allow them to burst more data and reduce dropouts). I have my system set up using their mesh so again not sure if worth the upgrade.

gadgetgeek

Hey folks. First time poster. Thanks for an exceptional web site!
I'm also a Sonos Connect user, connected to an Arcam D33 DAC via digital coax.

The Sonos Connect is not bit perfect, when set a fixed volume output, as a result of a normalization process they apply. The Sonos Connect WAS bit perfection prior to software version 6.

The normalization option can be removed by removing ITUNNORM tags from your audio files. Yes, this is a cumbersome and lengthy process.
There is a limiter applied with a maximum gain decrease of just under 1dB. This feature cannot be defeated in fixed volume mode unless something has recently changed.

Like others in this thread, I find the Sonos software super stable and reliable. Thus, I continue to use their solution. And I question whether my 40 odd year old ears could hear a noticeable difference regardless.

Jose Peñ

Agree! I have both; Allo USBridge and SONOS. The Allo does offer playback of higher res and USB output. I like the Volumio 2 search UI better but the set up and boot up time on SONOS beats it hands down.
If possible to use Allo Boss player with Sonos play 1 speakers..

Gyroscopics

Like others in this thread, I find the Sonos software super stable and reliable. Thus, I continue to use their solution. And I question whether my 40 odd year old ears could hear a noticeable difference regardless.

I have 2 Sonos-Connect at home and still use them even though I already have other eco-systems (BlueSound Node2, Volumio on RPi, ChromecastAudio). When the new Sonos Port came out (supposedly successor to Sonos-Connect), Sonos offered a trade-in discount for the amount of $50 off if I send in the Connect and buy the Port. Anyone with sane mind would not fall for that trap. Sonos is losing customer-base to competition yet attempts to trick their loyal customer base instead of focusing on attracting new customers into their eco-system.

WillM

I've understood that there is some difference between the hardware in the Connect and the Port- Amir, do you think you would test the Port as well? I read something about the Port putting out worse sound, which might have to do with software or settings. Or is this a result of the Port devices being compared running a newer software with a limiter on it, which would be on the current Connect software as well?

Also saw this online, pretty expensive- but wondering what this could actually do for addressing the issues mentioned- https://wyred4sound.com/products/upgrades-and-mods/sonos-connect-modified

Finally, not sure if anyone here knows but wondering if the files streamed from Tidal through the Sonos App are the same resolution going into Sonos (regardless of the limitations on what the Connect can actually do with them by the time they leave the device) as the Tidal app settings... and also, when Sonos plays music over the home network and the album is downloaded to an iPhone which also controls the Sonos App for example, does Sonos play the file from the hard drive of the phone, or does it stream the file each time the song is played? I think that with a Roon subscription this would happen, but perhaps not with the Tidal app?

I'm new to learning how digital audio technologies function, but reading some of the articles on this forum has been very educational- and am not yet clear on just how the Roon system works, but I've used a few Sonos devices for their convenience.

Thank you for this review, it's been very educational and greatly appreciated!

Top Bottom