• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of SONOS Connect Streamer

Bernard23

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just re-read the original review, I notice that when streaming from Roon (I had no issue finding Connect as a player) the output from Roon is set to 16/44, so I assume that the Connect isn't "mangling" the conversion from Qobuz 24 bit tracks.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just re-read the original review, I notice that when streaming from Roon (I had no issue finding Connect as a player) the output from Roon is set to 16/44, so I assume that the Connect isn't "mangling" the conversion from Qobuz 24 bit tracks.
Yes that my same setup and I force everything to 44KHz to be sure nothing from Qobuz goes to the Connect at 48KHz. I would think this is the best practice for this case?
1674606702104.png

Pritaudio

Is there a way of knowing which version of sonos connect it is without the box secondhand.
for example serial numbers or other such info on the connect itself.
furthermore, are you sure the later version supports high res out. It is the first I have heard of it. What sample rates can it do which the older cannot.

what does this ‘newer’ version sample to when receiving lossless Apple Music streams.
I say this because lossless Apple streaming has only recently been introduced, and may not be supported at cd quality or higher. And Sonos won’t provide a firmware fix for this.

Bernard23

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is there a way of knowing which version of sonos connect it is without the box secondhand.
for example serial numbers or other such info on the connect itself.
furthermore, are you sure the later version supports high res out. It is the first I have heard of it. What sample rates can it do which the older cannot.

what does this ‘newer’ version sample to when receiving lossless Apple Music streams.
I say this because lossless Apple streaming has only recently been introduced, and may not be supported at cd quality or higher. And Sonos won’t provide a firmware fix for this.
Don't know about S1 / S2 compatibility (mine is S1 only), but none of them are hi-res capable, not even the new port AFAIK. Sonos community is your best bet.

Kegemusha

The S2 only supports up to 48kHz-24bit for FLAC and ALAC,
S1 app will support CD quality.

From some sonos support page I see:
On Sonos you can stream up to 24-bit/48 kHz Hi-Res FLAC from Qobuz on your S2 compatible hardware. Tracks with a sampling rate above 48 kHz will be delivered to your Sonos hardware as 16-bit/44.1 kHz FLAC (CD lossless quality).

Pritaudio

Yes, but the Sonos port does maximum cd quality 16/44.1 only. And only has coaxial digital out.
the port is in many ways a downgrade from the late 2017 Sonos connect model except for processing power.

can anyone tell me if the newer Sonos connect does Roon at higher than 16bit/44.1?
because even the older connect does cd quality as Roon endpoint.

also is Apple Music capped at cd quality, or is it lossy.
this is because Sonos is the only hardware that supports native Apple Music streaming outside of airplay or Google cast.

nathan

for example serial numbers
For most of the 2010s, the first four numerical digits of the serial number indicated the year and month of manufacture.

Kegemusha

Yes, but the Sonos port does maximum cd quality 16/44.1 only. And only has coaxial digital out.
the port is in many ways a downgrade from the late 2017 Sonos connect model except for processing power.

can anyone tell me if the newer Sonos connect does Roon at higher than 16bit/44.1?
because even the older connect does cd quality as Roon endpoint.

also is Apple Music capped at cd quality, or is it lossy.
this is because Sonos is the only hardware that supports native Apple Music streaming outside of airplay or Google cast.
The new port supports 24/48kHz, using the S2 app version.

Pritaudio

The new port supports 24/48kHz, using the S2 app version.
Is that with Roon and Qobuz high Rez files too.
otherwise, apart from tidal, it has no use except local files.

also, does it do Apple music 16/44.1 cd quality, or is it lossy format.
and how about airplay 2 performance?

Pritaudio

Where does it say 24/48, and how old is that information.

here is a review that states that the connect is bit perfect and the port not.
is it still true?

Top Bottom